Did Dalinar really give up his shard blade?

Chlehrma

So in the WoR chapter posted for Adolin, it shows that when a bearer severs his bond to a shard blade the gem at the base flashes. We saw the same thing in WoK when Amaram takes up a blade and bonds it, the same flash from the pommel stone. When Dalinar gives up his blade to Sadeas we do not see the gemstone on the hilt flash. When Sadeas picks up the shard blade we also do not see the gem on the hilt flash.

Syl's words at the end of WoK seems to indicate that Dalinar no longer carries the blade, but is this the same as no longer being bound to it? In one of the other WoR preview chapters Dalinar speaks of how when a person loans their blade to another, there has to be trust because the blade can be summoned back to the owner at will.

So...Did Dalinar really give Sadeas his blade? Did he sever his bond to it leaving Sadeas free to bond it? Or did he just loan the bond to Sadeas like a king might loan his blade to his champion?

In one of the other WoR preview chapters Dalinar speaks of how when a person loans their blade to another, there has to be trust because the blade can be summoned back to the owner at will.

Wow, that's actually a pretty good catch.  While I don't see Dalinar lying, you may be on to something.

IF he only loaned it, Sadeas, would know, since he would not be able to bond it himself, and summon the sword at will.

And if that was the case, war between them  would happen almost instantly, since it hasn't, it stands to reason, that Sadeas is happy with the blade, and has full control over it.

So...Did Dalinar really give Sadeas his blade? Did he sever his bond to it leaving Sadeas free to bond it?

Yes and yes.

There is that scene with Dalinar and the fact that Sadeas can summon and send the blade away at will. It's Sadeas, but I don't think it will do him much good.

Yeah, I'm confident that Dalinar really did give up his blade. Sadeas wouldn't have been so stupid as to not verify the transfer of possession.

I'm also confident that Oathbringer (if not all the Shardblades of House Kholin) did not have a gemstone attached to it. My reason is that, in Kaladin's flashback, Brandon described how the gemstone of the unknown Shardbearer's Blade flashed as soon as Amaram held the Shardblade, signalling the transfer. Yet no such flashing was described when Sadeas greedily grabbed his prize.

Also, Adolin did not have to remove the ruby after that duel, yet he did. He even crushed it in his hands. Looks like definite proof that Shardblades don't need to have a gemstone on their pommel to work. If anything, I think the ruby was just a bonding fabrial that was added for extra security (e.g. to ensure that the one you lent your Shardblade to won't be able to take it as his own).

Edited by skaa

If anything, I think the ruby was just a bonding fabrial that was added for extra security (e.g. to ensure that the one you lent your Shardblade to won't be able to take it as his own).

That would certainly be interesting. But is the fabrial created by modern antifabrians? I would say probably, as Adolin crushed it, but maybe Shardblades can regenerate their parts too. That would explain why they can't be destroyed. I mean, I know the blade is unbreadkable and all, but otherwise I would think there would be some way to melt it down or take it apart.

On the main topic, I think that we would know by now if it wasn't truly loaned. Otherwise, I would say that it is possible: I know Dalinar's a man of his word and all, but it's conceivable that he could have forgotten to fully seer the bond. Not probable, though.

Edited by Limelleth

I hope that when the times comes, and he's fighting against someone we really like, the sword wont come, like refusing to go out and lend his power. Or, when dalinar is in danger and instinctively reach for his old sword, it appears in his hand, because honorbond or something crazy like that. (although he will not be able to use it because its too heavy)

I hope that when the times comes, and he's fighting against someone we really like, the sword wont come, like refusing to go out and lend his power. Or, when dalinar is in danger and instinctively reach for his old sword, it appears in his hand, because honorbond or something crazy like that. (although he will not be able to use it because its too heavy)

Hey, what if Oathbringer is Dalinar's spren?

• 3 weeks later...

In a Szeth POV he thinks that if he dies, his Blade will go back to the original owner.    Also in a Dalinar WoR POV, Dalinar is talking to the Brightlord during a battle on the Shattered Plaines & thinks that the Brightlord has Permanently loaned his Plate & Blade to the Fighter in the battle.     But the one who is fighting with the blade must have a lot of trust.     The "bowerer" must be able to dismiss and summon the blade in a battle, but the "real" owner could always "call" it back & leave him in trouble.      (Not exact words)

I do not think that the borrower could summon and banish the blade in battle. I think that the owner just will the blade to not vanish when he hands it over to the borrower and that the borrower has to keep the blade in his hands the whole time until he is finished with it.

• Chaos locked this topic