Theory: Dalinar is not a Radiant

Macen

What specifically about the Alethi Codes of War do you not like?  To me the look like very practical general principals on maintaining military discipline in time of war.

They're fine, in a united army with a singular purpose. I like the theory that the Codes serve as a way to keep the Thrill in check. The Codes keep an army professional and focused.

In Dalinar's case, though, the Codes are a liability. He needs to take control of the army, and fast. This is not a united army, this is a somewhat-united army that is in dire need of strong leadership (which Elhokar is not providing).

Dueling, something forbidden by the codes, is a much-needed tactic that will allow him to gain an advantage over the other highprinces.

In Dalinar's case, I feel that he can't be picky about what he will and will not do to gain power. If a highprince is threatening civil war, he needs to assassinate that highprince or find some other way to deal with him. The Codes stand in the way of this. He can't afford to follow them.

Edited by Moogle

Dueling, something forbidden by the codes, is a much-needed tactic that will allow him to gain an advantage over the other highprinces.

Actually I a fully agree with this in and of itself.  It is an important and critical part of his strategy.  Hence not trivial or "needless".  The code on restraint was supposed to apply to trivial things.  No dueling for stupid stuff like "You bumped into me!"  or a couple morons got drunk or for sport ranking.  If a duel is part of a strategy you believe could affect the fate of the Alethi people, indeed the entire world, then I don't think the code on restraint would prohibit it.  At least not in a sane world.

Edited by Arondell

Dalinar was also not entirely against dueling to begin with - he very nearly duels Sadeas for an insult over Renarin, chapter 15

"Sadeas. Surely I did not just hear you openly - before the king - call my son *useless*. Surely you would not say that, as such an insult would *demand* that I summon my Blade and seek your blood"

On the page before, Dalinar explains Journey before Destination to Sadeas, Adolin, Renarin and Elhokar and the think he's mad.

"'Sometimes,' Dalinar said, 'the prize is not worth the costs. The means by which we achieve victory are as important as the victory itself'"

I dont remember the end of the book well enough to discuss the high princes, just thought this might be useful information to point out.

I think Dalinar accepts that the duelling strategy breaks the Codes. Even if you want to argue that from Dalinar's perspective (and ours) the duels aren't needless, to everyone else it probably looks like Adolin is challenging people on the slightest of pretexts. That said, Dalinar realises he couldn't get the Alethi to adopt the codes voluntarily and in the current political and strategic climate he recognises he can't force people to adopt them, so he's willing to breach the codes a little bit now so that they are followed absolutely later on.

I think this is all part of Dalinar's development as a character. He's realised that they do not have a lot of time and that he's going to have to bend, perhaps cut a few corners or break a few rules to get things done. I'm not sure how highly he regards the Codes anymore anyway considering he is gradually beginning to worry less about the Alethi, and more about the whole planet.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure how highly he regards the Codes anymore anyway considering he is gradually beginning to worry less about the Alethi, and more about the whole planet.

A big part of why he holds to the codes so firmly is prevent himself from lapsing into the man he was at the time of Gavilar's death.  So, exclusive of how broad his dealings are, he will likely hold fairly firmly to the codes.  The dueling aspect of the codes is different.  That part seems clearly intended to prevent silly duels and arguments from removing officers from combat ability.  The duels that Dalinar has Adolin engaging in are intended to strengthen the Alethi overall.

• Chaos locked this topic