Hoid can Soulcast

SirVarrock

Hello there.  I was basically just lurking around the forums until the shardhunt made me get an account, and so I thought I'd post my first theory.

Basically, I've been thinking that we know that Hoid has lightweaving\can lightweave, and the only reference to lightweaving we have in published books is the order of Knights Radiant.  I theorize that it might be something similar to what Szeth is, what with his powers of a Windrunner, yet not being one.  Another thing that I think supports this is the fact that the illusion surge is called just that, nothing related to light or weaving.

So, any thoughts?  If this has already been posted, I apologize, but my phone is practically my only connection to the internet, and not the best way to search through the forums.  Also, can anyone tell me how to get my first tag in the thread title?  I read about how to do it somewhere, but I've forgotten.

Not necessarily. We know that Hoid is not from Roshar, (he's from Yolen) and we know that he learned how to Lightweave while he was still on Yolen. (Check out the Liar sample chapters if you want to know how we know.) He still might be able to Soulcast, but even if he can it probably isn't directly related to his ability to Lightweave.

Seems reasonable, but I'm still not entirely convinced that you need to visit Shadesmar every time you Soulcast.

Edit: I've read those sample chapters, but they are unpublished, and for all we know it's the same sort of system.

Edited by SirVarrock

I actually read the coppermind pages about Hoid and Lightweaving before posting, and didn't see any citations on Lightweaving.  I read the entire interview that was linked to a couple posts up, and Brandon seems a little ambiguous as to whether it's the same system, or a similar system.  As I recall, Hoid had a scroll containing the secret of Lightweaving in the sample chapters, so would it be possible that it was instructions for how to jury-rig the Roshar Lightweaving to work for Hoid?

I actually read the coppermind pages about Hoid and Lightweaving before posting, and didn't see any citations on Lightweaving.  I read the entire interview that was linked to a couple posts up, and Brandon seems a little ambiguous as to whether it's the same system, or a similar system.  As I recall, Hoid had a scroll containing the secret of Lightweaving in the sample chapters, so would it be possible that it was instructions for how to jury-rig the Roshar Lightweaving to work for Hoid?

Now, I haven't actually read the Liar sample chapters but I don't think so.  Liar takes place pre-Shattering, so Surgebinding, and Rosharan-Lightweaving, wouldn't exist yet.

Now, I haven't actually read the Liar sample chapters but I don't think so.  Liar takes place pre-Shattering, so Surgebinding, and Rosharan-Lightweaving, wouldn't exist yet.

Yeah, forgot about that.  Could an argument be made for a possible similar system because technically all the shards would be on Yolen if Adonalsium was unshattered?

Yeeeesssss... but although the magic would be similar, it wouldn't be gained through a spren bond, and so most likely wouldn't be paired with the ability to soulcast.

@Darnam: It does say that you don't have to put spoiler tags in this forum, but these aren't really bad spoilers anyway, all we actually say is that Hoid learns to lightweave on Yolen. 

Haha... What is Aether of the Night?

Wait! Is it a Cosmere novel where Hoid meets a List making assassin? ;)

Um, no. At least not from what I remember. I cannot really say I was able to find any likely cameo by Hoid.

Aether of the Night is btw an unpublished (and will probably stay that way) Cosmere book.

I know you do not like spoilers, Darnam, but the ban on discussing unpublished works does not include released samples, as Morsk suggested. It is more aimed at White Sand and Aether of the Night.

Also includes Brandon's Thesis novel, Dragonsteel.

I spent all day thinking that this topic was about Hoid being able to soul stamp. I feel dumb...

Anyway, I don't think he can soul cast. It's just a gut feeling though. Actually, I suppose it's possible he might have the Soul casting equivalent from Yolen. Honour/Cultivation seem to have taken or at least based their Lightweaving system on that one, so I suppose it's not unreasonable to suggest he could do the rest of their things.

I've always assumed (and you all know what that means) that Hoid was the Pug of the Cosmere.

This topic... again, I was about to misread and reply to that with how much I hated Macros the Black. Maybe the later trilogies redeemed him, but A Darkness at Sethanon left me completely uninterested in reading another damnation book of that series.

I've always assumed (and you all know what that means) that Hoid was the Pug of the Cosmere.

Haha yes yes yes

This topic... again, I was about to misread and reply to that with how much I hated Macros the Black. Maybe the later trilogies redeemed him, but A Darkness at Sethanon left me completely uninterested in reading another damnation book of that series.

I read up through the Riftwar Legacy books and really enjoyed them, give them another go if you've the time.