White Sand in other Places

Lurky McLurkerson

I wonder if this is a trophy room, as has been suggested enough, or if there is something more substantial present. Holding onto investiture is significant... but I don't remember the silver itself in Threnody being significant. The tears of Egli, the Royal Locks, and so forth, yes... Hmm.

We have a general idea (or think we do) why Hoid is collecting different kinds of Investiture, but why his Mraize? 

The more I think about that, the more it weirds me out. 

I assumed at first it was just trophies, but I don't think so.

Hoid is collecting magic systems, not neccesarily investiture.

If I travelled to different planets I sure as hell would probably collect cool and unique trinkets along the way.

Fair enough. I still have my childhood rock collection, but I don't have most of it displayed either. 

And I really don't think we are seeing Mraize's casual pasttime, like stamp-collecting, or bird-watching. We are seeing something significant. 

At least, they are world-hoppers with trophies. But at most...  they are doing something very different. 

What I gathered from the non-canon Liar of Partinel, was that the gem/aether thing was not particularly easy to get ahold of. They seemed quite rare. So this is not just a casual trophy. This is something collected intentionally, and with great effort.

But why? 

I'm still not convinced that those items have a large significance. Just think of the items there, is there anything useful about them in tandem? Many of them can be used but it doesn't seem like they are collecting these pices to be used together. Most of those items seem hard to obtain, like the gemheart, but there doesn't seem to be any grand motive behind them.

On a different note, how do we know those are Mraize's items? He is Iyatil's student right?

• 4 months later...
On 5/1/2016 at 5:20 PM, Lurky McLurkerson said:

I wonder if this is a trophy room, as has been suggested enough, or if there is something more substantial present. Holding onto investiture is significant... but I don't remember the silver itself in Threnody being significant. The tears of Egli, the Royal Locks, and so forth, yes... Hmm.

Silver on Threnody is very significant - it keeps people safe from shades and can be used to injure/kill shades.  It's also in high demand and can be quite expensive.  Since there isn't a shard there, I wonder why this takes place.  Could the silver be invested or just inherently powerful in such a way that it could damage a shade?  Aluminum has special qualities inherently that cross magic systems...silver may be the same way?

11 hours ago, VirtuousTraveller said:

Silver on Threnody is very significant - it keeps people safe from shades and can be used to injure/kill shades.  It's also in high demand and can be quite expensive.  Since there isn't a shard there, I wonder why this takes place.  Could the silver be invested or just inherently powerful in such a way that it could damage a shade?  Aluminum has special qualities inherently that cross magic systems...silver may be the same way?

I see very unlikely...in the Mistborn trilogy the silver has nothing special. We see how the Alluminium's oddity made it linked with the Scadrial's magic. I imagine that would happen the same with any other metal with peculiar Realmatic effects