Illustrated SA Scenes & Characters

sheep

Can Syl transform into a skateboard?

No, no, you've got it all wrong. The proper question is: why wouldn't she?

More seriously, though, if she can turn into a shield, a spear and a halberd, a skateboard is probably not out of question.

Alright, you had me at "Let's draw Adolin": Shallan's was quite something..... And OMG Adolin can't draw  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  I had wondered though... the mother was an artist and Adolin seems more artistically inclined than the rest of his family... so I had wondered how he would actually do were he to actually pick up a pen.

Great stuff like always!!! You should do some art tutorials! Edit: What software do you use? Photoshop? Painter? Illustrator? Or some of the Open Source ones such as Gimp and Krita?

Edited by Argel

Watercolor baffles me so completely that I am amazed that anybody can create art with it, let alone art as beautiful as yours, Sheep! Love that shot of Kaladin leaping into the arena to kick some chull. And the Kaladin character design from Tumblr! XD I cannot stop laughing, especially at the comment about his boots.

Great stuff like always!!! You should do some art tutorials! Edit: What software do you use? Photoshop? Painter? Illustrator? Or some of the Open Source ones such as Gimp and Krita?

I'm not really a good teacher for art - I'm like those annoying and not helpful "how to draw" books where step one is "draw a circle" and step two is "draw an owl".  :lol:  The process I use is the same one most other digital artists use, and you can easily find tutorials or video replays on YouTube for how to sketch and colour things on a computer.  I pretty much only use Photoshop.  I have PaintTool SAI and Krita but I don't like flipping from one program to another.  Occasionally I sketch pencil on paper to get my ideas down, and then scan it in and work on it digitally.

Here are original sketches from the picture "Shardblade Proportions" from my OP.

vu8aTAx.jpg

My tiny stub of a pencil - it's the animators' staple Sanford-Prismacolor Col-Erase. I use it because you can easily see it under graphite or black ink.

Messy as Braize ballpoint scrawlings.  But afterwards I scan it in and it looks much cleaner when I finish working it digitally, and change things that can't be changed on paper without using a bucket of white-out.

2hvEeUq.jpg

Watercolor baffles me so completely that I am amazed that anybody can create art with it, let alone art as beautiful as yours, Sheep! Love that shot of Kaladin leaping into the arena to kick some chull. And the Kaladin character design from Tumblr! XD I cannot stop laughing, especially at the comment about his boots.

Watercolour is more frustrating than difficult, IMO.  You just need to have lots of control and patience to make sure the water doesn't go everywhere - I keep a box of tissues on the side just in case accidents happen.  And when you are colouring something, you have to go from light to dark because there is no Undo button if you start with black instead of building up with it - when I post my process pictures, I do the lightest colours first, and outlines later.  In digital art, I do the outlines first, and colour it like a colouring book.  Gotta reverse gears when you are moving from traditional media to digital and vice versa.

I am not the watercolour pro though - Botanica is the Sharder who does all the fantastic pen and ink and detailed paint work.

I first started practicing with those cheap kiddie paint sets and use dinnerware to rinse my brushes and mix my colours, and I still do it today. :P

Is it time for more art?

YES IT IS!!

What if SA was an animated series?

It's too much to hope that SA would have the budget for elaborate backgrounds for every single scene, with full Ghibli colour, but I'd like it if any animated adaptation could convey the same kind of "atmosphere" and feel of Alethkar that I get when I imagine it in my head.  Nothing is exactly like Earth, but colour palettes and tonal settings reflect certain environments on Earth, which probably inspired Brandon when he wrote SA.

So here are some illustrated SA scenes in the style of TV cartoon, based on how I imagined the story and characters.

CLICK TO OPEN TO MAXIMUM RESOLUTION. 

IT'S BETTER TO VIEW IN FULL!!

"New Boots"

zV6alXb.jpg

Process:

cbHDoYY.jpg

To me, the Shattered Plains is very western-like (or outback-like) to me, with caravan robberies and bandits!  I designed Tyn to be like a cowgirl or (we call it jillaroo here) in a duster coat.  I really liked drawing her, and I'm sad she died.  Her character costume is inspired by Central Asian traditional dress (the pointy shoulders and boots which are a traditional design for Mongolian horsemen) and it forms a short cape thing in the back like the traditional Aussie stockman duster. 

Rockbuds!

"Be Spectacular"

4qz1Nce.jpg

Process:

uSsqL2G.jpg

The architecture in the warcamps was described as curved to deflect the highstorms.  That stuck with me, and I draw the interiors of buildings as rounded and curved as well.  Soulcast buildings to me are all the same beigey brown colour which is combined with diamond sphere light to make the insides of rooms feel "warm", like a comfy Hobbithole or something. ^_^  It's supposed to feel safe, and stormproof, but still alien looking compared to Earth homes that use a mix of wood, concrete, slate, and tiles in different colours and textures.  A warcamp building gives the impression of being claustrophobic and underground since floor and ceiling are made of stone, and there are few windows, but obviously a native Alethi wouldn't see it that way.

The Shardblade stances are real ones.  The ritual prayer that gets burned before a duel is from my imagination - they are glyphs that are palindromic but not stylised into shapes.

"Takeaway Chouta"

3EsGbyO.jpg

Process:

Xjo1S9M.jpg

Obligatory silly stuff!!!

This is what Shallan and Adolin did after their menagerie date, because Adolin promised Shallan a date and dinner, but the book didn't show them stopping at a restaurant or anything.  Maybe they got takeaway chouta!  You can pay the food vendor from the window!  Adolin is such a friendly guy and the Roshar equivalent of a professional athlete, so I always imagined him as a big eater who doesn't care about being picky when he has to eat Soulcast food.  The gravy covers up weird tastes or lack of taste, anyway.

I drew the inside of the carriage as curved like Alethi architecture, and made the interior upholstery and curtains blue, because the Kholins like being flashy.  The outside is probably blue as well, and painted with the family glyphpair.  Kaladin is being a grump like usual, but he deserves it because he chose to be the third wheel. 

Some traditional arts now!

Stormlight Archive character postcard set!

2xQvH6D.jpg

Lol I don't have IRL friends who read SA dunno what I'm going to do now... :rolleyes:

"Dalinar Cards"

IhzeBq6.jpg

I wasn't happy with the first one, so I painted another, and wasn't happy wit that...then dropped my brush and got a black spot on the third...so I ended up with four slightly different cards.  I'm still trying to get a grip on how exactly to draw him, and it's not made any easier doing it in traditional format, which means mistakes mean having to start from square one.

Extra pic of cards:

yidw7SK.jpg

The Adolin Shardbearer card isn't actually a bright electric blue.  Colour settings are off.

Process:

bjGF4rV.jpg

Bonus pic

"Adolin's Shardblade and Lucky Charm"

IQKKVSm.jpg

Watercolour with coloured pencil on top.

I drew the red one first and wasn't happy with it - there are things that bother me, number one being that red isn't the Kholin colour.  Then I drew the blue one slightly different, with changed proportions and I'm not happy with it either - the Shardblade gets too narrow too quickly :wacko:.  This is why traditional media makes me want to headdesk :angry: even though it can make for some pretty awesome visual impact.

Thanks for reading!

WOW. Now I really want to see SA: The Animated Series, and the style you did it in looks really great. And those portraits!

As for "what to do with the cards", maybe try selling them? I probably wouldn't be able to buy any (probably), but I'm pretty sure a lot of people 'round the Shard would like those.

Wow, great stuff again!! Any chance you could do a Shallan and Jasnah scene (e.g. from TWoK or WoR on the ship). Or Sebarial and Palano reading her book at the end of WoR (certainly a funny scene)?

• 2 weeks later...

WOW. Now I really want to see SA: The Animated Series, and the style you did it in looks really great. And those portraits!

As for "what to do with the cards", maybe try selling them? I probably wouldn't be able to buy any (probably), but I'm pretty sure a lot of people 'round the Shard would like those.

A lot of people have been saying for ages that SA would be perfect for an anime series, but I honestly prefer the style of a Saturday morning cartoon.  I like them bright and colourful with expressive characters, even if the action sequences end up simplified because no budget. 

They're only small A6 pieces of card, and I doubt people would pay more than $5 for one.  Postage from my country, envelopes, and art supplies would eat up all of that, so I dunno, maybe it's better to hold onto it.  I could give them to Brandon when he visits my country next year. :lol:

Wow, great stuff again!! Any chance you could do a Shallan and Jasnah scene (e.g. from TWoK or WoR on the ship). Or Sebarial and Palano reading her book at the end of WoR (certainly a funny scene)?

I did actually do a Shallan and Jasnah scene!

I don't have a good mental image of Sebarial and Palona, so I don't think I could create a character design that I think would do them justice.  I still haven't got my mind around Sadeas and Elhokar yet, so I only feel confident about drawing them in their Shardplate.  I can't remember if Elhokar even wears a crown or uniform when he hangs out at his house.

Art time!

click picture to open up to full res

trust me, it's better that way

Scenes from SA: The Animated Series.

This time it's WoK Edition.

"The Lesson"

FGD4Xvc.jpg

"Shallan hesitated at the mouth of the alleyway, her heart thumping, her thoughts muddled. The wind blew and bells rang, like frozen raindrops shattering against the stones. In a moment of decision, she rushed after Jasnah, preferring company, even in the dark, to being alone. The shrouded glimmer of the Soulcaster was barely enough to light their way, and Shallan followed in Jasnah’s shadow.

Noise from behind. Shallan turned with a start to see several dark forms crowding into the alley. “Oh, Stormfather,” she whispered. Why? Why was Jasnah doing this?"

Chapter 36, "The Lesson", WoK

I thought this was one of the defining moments in the Shallan-Jasnah relationship, and defining moments of characterisation, where you're just left with your mouth open going "did she just?!!".  But no matter what I think of Jasnah, I think she's a fun character to draw.  The background here was pretty low energy because it was late at night and I didn't feel like working at it. :ph34r:

Process pic:

AmCKh4p.jpg

"Man of Extremes"

geR4ZvZ.jpg

“I didn’t mean to confuse you, all those years ago,” he said, voice soft to keep it from prying ears. “I had intended to court you, but Gavilar expressed a preference for you. So I eventually felt I had to step aside.”

“Just like that?” Navani asked. She sounded offended.

“He didn’t realize that I was interested. He thought that by introducing you to him, I was indicating that he should court you. That was often how our relationship worked; I would discover people Gavilar should know, then bring them to him. I didn’t realize until too late what I had done in giving you to him.”

“‘Giving’ me? Is there a slave’s brand on my forehead of which I’ve been unaware?”

“I did not mean—”

“Oh hush,” Navani said.

Chapter 64, "A Man of Extremes", WoK

It's not the most action-packed scenes from WoK, but even thought it was pretty low-key, I thought it was dramatic and touching and made me feel sad feelings, so I remembered it.  Dalinar said something that was pretty foot-in-mouth and when I re-read the scene, I laughed pretty hard at it.  Hence the facial expressions that are something in between :unsure: and <_<.  Yes, I am aware that in that scene Dalinar is wearing a winter trenchcoat version of his uniform instead of a cape, but I don't feel like changing character costume designs because I am lazy.  It's the same reason why your favourite cartoon characters always wear the same thing.  When you draw something over and over, you get good at it, and if you were to switch to something else, it would take weeks of drawing badly to get to a level of being good. 

And I do end up drawing it over and over, as part of the sketching process.

Process pic: 

h4Jtt64.jpg

Vintage SA posters!

If SA had a silent film or theatrical playbill or was published as an antique novel, I imagine it would be something like this. 

"Kaladin"

3C6lCHB.jpg

"Adolin"

rpiJhEZ.jpg

"Shallan"

k3Pb1dX.jpg

Now to the traditional format!

COSPLAY TIME

"Foam sword"

Yeah, it's really ugly, but most convention centres don't allow stuff that looks dangerous.

Ubq7pV0.jpg

"Painted sword"

Wine bottle for size comparison because I don't have a yardstick or metrestick and I couldn't find anything else that everyone would be able to recognise.  It's around 4ft long because this has got to fit in a car.

zxMeK5j.jpg

"More foam crafting"

Did you know that if you heated up foam with a hairdryer on high, you could melt it enough to bend it and make it keep its shape?

hjz21Ei.jpg

"Inside view"

It's a mess, but the cool thing about cosplay is that no cares about being practical like those historical re-enactor LARPer folks where every detail has to be perfect, inside and out.  The inside of this is unpainted foam and velcro. :lol:

vSYp18y.jpg

OBLIGATORY SILLY STUFF!

Modern AU Kaladin and Adolin shenanigans. :ph34r: B) :lol:

"Horsepower"

TJUFMYY.jpg

In a modern AU, Adolin is still a spoiled princeling who rides a white horse.

In a modern AU, Kaladin is an adrenaline junkie who is smug about the fact that Adolin's fancy white horse can't compete with his 50+ horsepower engine.  And when he jumps mud ramps at the local motocross track, it's as close as it gets to flying.

In a modern AU, speed limits are for highspren. B)

How big is Sureblood anyway?  I drew him somewhere around 19 hands high.  Good thing that Shardbearers are extra nimble, otherwise they would never able to get up in the saddle without a stepladder.

And Kaladin rides dirt bikes because they have tall seats compared to street bikes and he has long legs.  They can also take a beating and still work, and he likes things that have dents, as long as it's fixable.  They're also made for off-roading, and you can hide in the woods when the cops come after you for not having lights or turn signals when you're on the street. B)

Yay!! Jasnah and Shallan!! It's that night that Shallan steals the fake fabrial, so I agree it was a defining moment.  I like Dalinar and Navani as well, and it's been so long since I read TWoK I forgot about that scene! Nice job! The vintage stuff was great too, and of course the AU!!

Sheep, you have no idea how happy I was when I saw that there are new posts in this thread. Yes for more excellent art! I especially love the vintage posters - I imagine this could be something that could exist in some sort of future-er Roshar.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow! I have little more to say than oh gosh, this is awesome. Love your rendition of Veil (and Veil/Kaladin, Shallan/Adolin would be pretty funny indeed). Unfortunately, I can't see anything past Urithiru Knights closeup, but the rest is great!

Also, I think I'd make myself an Urithiru Knights T-shirt. May I?

Don't mind me, I'm just going to sit over here in awe.

@sheep I know you said that you're a "shipper who should be exiled to tumblr" which leads me to ask... do you already have a tumblr? And if so, can I apologize for the fact that I am not already following you and sticking all of your fanart on Adonalsium? BECAUSE IT'S SO GOOD. I NEED ALL OF IT ON ADO.

I love your Veil in particular. It was one of those moments where the illustration wasn't what I had pictured in my head but my brain went "oh no, wait, that's better." And as a terrible Mraize/Veil shipper I'm just going to use that interpretation from now on in my head thanks.

21 hours ago, FeatherWriter said:

I love your Veil in particular. It was one of those moments where the illustration wasn't what I had pictured in my head but my brain went "oh no, wait, that's better." And as a terrible Mraize/Veil shipper I'm just going to use that interpretation from now on in my head thanks.

You should be ashamed of yourself. Everyone knows Iyatil/Veil is the best ship. Everyone except maskless barbarians, that is.

Edited by DreamEternal