Team SSSN is Sun's team: Sun, Sage, Scarlet, and Neptune. CFVY is Velvet's team that came in at the end on volume 2: Coco, Fox, Velvet, and Yatsuhashi. As to birthdays, maybe. Considering the current... Conditions, it might not be as important to them. I guess it depends how dark it is at the beginning of volume 4.

I'm watching season 3!

...wow this season is longer than the others. And my time management and work rather precludes giving reactions.

...so...

Pitching this to you guys. I want to finish the series and get up to date first. But once I do...

Quiver Rewatching And Analysing Rwby. (Team QWAR?)

Would that interest anyone?

1 hour ago, Quiver said:

I'm watching season 3!

...wow this season is longer than the others. And my time management and work rather precludes giving reactions.

...so...

Pitching this to you guys. I want to finish the series and get up to date first. But once I do...

Definitely!

19 hours ago, Quiver said:

I'm watching season 3!

...so...

Yup!

@Morzathoth ikr :(:(

1 minute ago, Pinnacle-Ferring said:

You think that's bad check out some of the fanart for

Hide contents

Pyrrha. Or Pyrrha and Jaune.

It.Is. Heartwrenching.

NO. WE ARE NOT GOING THERE. I am not...

I'm not emotionally ready, yet.

...Which should make rewatchign and analysing the series and all those moments super fun

(Gonna try and get an analysis of the Red Trailer up soon)

5 minutes ago, Pinnacle-Ferring said:

To here? Or will you make a seperate thread?

Probably keep it here? Though I am desperate for attention, so... :P

If you're curious, my baseline thoughts for the series are...

Volume 1 was... alright. I'm actually looking forward to picking it apart, since I feel like there was stuff it did really well (Juane and Pyrrha), and stuff like it didn't do quite so well (Protagonist Syndrome). It feel's like the series is sort of carried by the fights and soundtrack for most of volume 1, with only Weiss and Blake doing any heavy lifting on the protagonist side.

Basically, I think volume 1 is a flawed work. So, I'm gonna be interested in picking it apart.

Volume 2 was an improvement, in a lot of ways, and Volume 3 I CAN'T TALK ABOUT VOLUME 3 YET OKAY? 

What's Protagonist Syndrome? 

I really like that Pyhrra gets the 'Chosen One' plot line not Ruby. 

So I was listening to Red Like Roses Part II, Ruby's tragic backstory song, and I was feeling all sad, the next song was Flares by The Script. Very thematically appropriate. :)

Edited by Delightful

17 hours ago, Delightful said:

What's Protagonist Syndrome? 

I really like that Pyhrra gets the 'Chosen One' plot line not Ruby. 

To be fair, Ruby has the 'silver eyes' plot, so it's not like she's totally "normal". 

I admit, with the seasons thing, it almost seems too obvious that Summer might also have Maiden powers...but. Did we ever get confirmation that her body was recovered?

I can't help but think we'll get a reunion between Qrow, Sumer, Raven and Tai...

...also, question for everyone:

Where does the volume 2 stinger fit in? Unless I'm misremembering, that showed Yang meeting Raven...but nothing in volume 3 suggested it had happened. I thought it might beafuture event, with her acting on Qrow's info...but volume 2 Yang had both arms, so short of regeneration, I don't see how the stinger can happen, exactly.

Am I missing something very obvious?

1 hour ago, Quiver said:

...also, question for everyone:

Where does the volume 2 stinger fit in? Unless I'm misremembering, that showed Yang meeting Raven...but nothing in volume 3 suggested it had happened. I thought it might beafuture event, with her acting on Qrow's info...but volume 2 Yang had both arms, so short of regeneration, I don't see how the stinger can happen, exactly.

Am I missing something very obvious?

We're not really sure, but the general consensus at this point seems to be that it was a dream. Still kind of confusing, though.

On the Summer thing, I can't be sure, but I recall hearing that Jeff Williams had confirmed her dead. Again, I can't be sure, so unless someone can find that, it's open-ended.

On the Raven thing, I'm not sure. The closest thing I can think of is that Raven had some way to wipe minds or something. Me and one of my irl friends are heavy theorizers, and Raven is an enigma to us. Prior to Volume 3 PvP, we'd constructed an entire ending for the volume that missed on big parts, but it really shows how little we know about Raven and how that can lead to... interesting theories.

The theory in the spoiler tags is for those who're up to date. Just remember, this is an outdated theory, I just kinda want to show it off since we never got a chance before. Honestly, it's long and if you don't care, don't be pressured to read it all. But I am still proud of it, however wrong it was.

Spoiler

Okay, so to set the scene: the Yang vs Mercury fight happened. Yang's fate is uncertain, and we know something is going to happen, likely with the grimm due to ominous shots of Mountain Glenn. Here's where we got creative. Everything after this is all from our own heads unless I say otherwise. 

First, theory grounding. Both of us were convinced that Raven was the one above Cinder. Evidence:

1. We have Qrow's quotes to support this, citing her "way of looking at the world."
  2. Cinder was talking to someone clearly superior, Raven, showing that they stay in communication. This would explain why Neo ran after confronted by Raven, since she'd almost certainly know of Raven as her superior and have known to step down.
  3. The intervention in the Neo fight also would be the first hint of a power struggle between Cinder and Raven, which will come up later. For now, it's the first instance of Cinder's henchmen overstepping boundaries set by Raven, in Neo trying to kill Yang, Raven's daughter.

We also thought that Raven could control Grimm. Evidence:

1. The grimm-themed helmet she wears. Why else would she wear it?
  2. She was a candidate for the potential leader of the White Fang. Again, Qrow's comments on her way of viewing the world. And if she could control the grimm, that would be beneficial to the White Fang, like for the events in "No Brakes" and "Breach."
  3. She could be the one to give Cinder the glove used to take Amber's power. The bug seems to be some sort of grimm and uses the same red portal as Raven with her teleporting.

Anyway, we thought that Yang would be imprisoned on Ironwood's ship for a time to settle the festival-goers' anger over her actions after the fight with Mercury, but no real consequence would be planned. Of course Ozpin would try to step in and take Yang from Ironwood, but Ironwood has the support of the counselers as the main security force during the festival, so there's nothing Oz can do. Her imprisonment would be due to trickery on Cinder's part, which is where the connection between Raven and Cinder comes in. I proposed that Cinder, while under Rave, was acting of her own will in the events at the festival. Since these events have now endangered her daughter, Raven would step in to try and reign Cinder in. We thought that Raven would break Yang out of Ironwood's ship and fight against Cinder and her forces.

Now, onto Cinder's plans. We theorized that Pyrrha would fight Penny, since the matching is just too perfect (and the magnet bit when Penny meets with Ruby). I proposed that Pyrrha would accidentally rip Penny apart and Neo would use her illusions to make Penny appear human. All of this would make Pyrrha devastated, and fulfill the role we thought her to be: The cowardly lion. For those of you who don't know, each member of the group of teachers are a character from the "Wizard of Oz," Ozpin being the Wizard, Ironwood the tin-man, Glenda the Good Witch, etc. But we hadn't gotten a cowardly lion yet. Pyrrha is undoubtably powerful, hence the lion. The crippling depression of killing a fellow student and failing Ozpin as the guardian would make her fearful of being trusted ever again. This plotline would continue with Jaune helping her through it, developing their love story along the way.

Anyway, this atrocity would cause immense disgust among the crowd and spectators at home. These negative feelings would attract the grimm, causing a massive attack. In the chaos, the Colosseum would crash to the city below (Like it suggests in the opening, "When it Falls") and destroy the CCT, cutting off inter-kingdom communication. All of this would serve as a distraction while Cinder tries to take the rest of Amber's power. However, right as Cinder gains full maiden-hood, Raven would stab her in the back, killing her and taking her powers, becoming the Fall Maiden.

That's the important parts of it. Thanks for anyone who read through all of that. Maybe you can see why I was so sold on it because it just made sense.

For those who didn't read all of that, it's all to say we don't know who Raven is in the grand scheme. There are so many paths she can go down, it's impossible to be sure which, if any, will be true. Sorry, that was a really long post to say I don't know :/

4 hours ago, Amrynn said:

On the Summer thing, I can't be sure, but I recall hearing that Jeff Williams had confirmed her dead. Again, I can't be sure, so unless someone can find that, it's open-ended.

On the Raven thing, I'm not sure. The closest thing I can think of is that Raven had some way to wipe minds or something. Me and one of my irl friends are heavy theorizers, and Raven is an enigma to us. Prior to Volume 3 PvP, we'd constructed an entire ending for the volume that missed on big parts, but it really shows how little we know about Raven and how that can lead to... interesting theories.

The theory in the spoiler tags is for those who're up to date. Just remember, this is an outdated theory, I just kinda want to show it off since we never got a chance before. Honestly, it's long and if you don't care, don't be pressured to read it all. But I am still proud of it, however wrong it was.

Hide contents

Okay, so to set the scene: the Yang vs Mercury fight happened. Yang's fate is uncertain, and we know something is going to happen, likely with the grimm due to ominous shots of Mountain Glenn. Here's where we got creative. Everything after this is all from our own heads unless I say otherwise. 

First, theory grounding. Both of us were convinced that Raven was the one above Cinder. Evidence:

1. We have Qrow's quotes to support this, citing her "way of looking at the world."
  2. Cinder was talking to someone clearly superior, Raven, showing that they stay in communication. This would explain why Neo ran after confronted by Raven, since she'd almost certainly know of Raven as her superior and have known to step down.
  3. The intervention in the Neo fight also would be the first hint of a power struggle between Cinder and Raven, which will come up later. For now, it's the first instance of Cinder's henchmen overstepping boundaries set by Raven, in Neo trying to kill Yang, Raven's daughter.

We also thought that Raven could control Grimm. Evidence:

1. The grimm-themed helmet she wears. Why else would she wear it?
  2. She was a candidate for the potential leader of the White Fang. Again, Qrow's comments on her way of viewing the world. And if she could control the grimm, that would be beneficial to the White Fang, like for the events in "No Brakes" and "Breach."
  3. She could be the one to give Cinder the glove used to take Amber's power. The bug seems to be some sort of grimm and uses the same red portal as Raven with her teleporting.

Anyway, we thought that Yang would be imprisoned on Ironwood's ship for a time to settle the festival-goers' anger over her actions after the fight with Mercury, but no real consequence would be planned. Of course Ozpin would try to step in and take Yang from Ironwood, but Ironwood has the support of the counselers as the main security force during the festival, so there's nothing Oz can do. Her imprisonment would be due to trickery on Cinder's part, which is where the connection between Raven and Cinder comes in. I proposed that Cinder, while under Rave, was acting of her own will in the events at the festival. Since these events have now endangered her daughter, Raven would step in to try and reign Cinder in. We thought that Raven would break Yang out of Ironwood's ship and fight against Cinder and her forces.

Now, onto Cinder's plans. We theorized that Pyrrha would fight Penny, since the matching is just too perfect (and the magnet bit when Penny meets with Ruby). I proposed that Pyrrha would accidentally rip Penny apart and Neo would use her illusions to make Penny appear human. All of this would make Pyrrha devastated, and fulfill the role we thought her to be: The cowardly lion. For those of you who don't know, each member of the group of teachers are a character from the "Wizard of Oz," Ozpin being the Wizard, Ironwood the tin-man, Glenda the Good Witch, etc. But we hadn't gotten a cowardly lion yet. Pyrrha is undoubtably powerful, hence the lion. The crippling depression of killing a fellow student and failing Ozpin as the guardian would make her fearful of being trusted ever again. This plotline would continue with Jaune helping her through it, developing their love story along the way.

Anyway, this atrocity would cause immense disgust among the crowd and spectators at home. These negative feelings would attract the grimm, causing a massive attack. In the chaos, the Colosseum would crash to the city below (Like it suggests in the opening, "When it Falls") and destroy the CCT, cutting off inter-kingdom communication. All of this would serve as a distraction while Cinder tries to take the rest of Amber's power. However, right as Cinder gains full maiden-hood, Raven would stab her in the back, killing her and taking her powers, becoming the Fall Maiden.

That's the important parts of it. Thanks for anyone who read through all of that. Maybe you can see why I was so sold on it because it just made sense.

For those who didn't read all of that, it's all to say we don't know who Raven is in the grand scheme. There are so many paths she can go down, it's impossible to be sure which, if any, will be true. Sorry, that was a really long post to say I don't know :/

I haven't gotten around to forming any Rwby theories yet, so it's not like I can fault you for not knowing.;)

4 hours ago, Pinnacle-Ferring said:

We're not really sure, but the general consensus at this point seems to be that it was a dream. Still kind of confusing, though.

Thanks for...not clearing it up, exactly, but making me feel less concerned for being confused about the whole thing?

I need to Rewatch the series as soon as possible. Start theoryforming. :ph34r:

Also, I'm not alone in assuming Cinder survived the finale, right?

This might be my favourite fan prediction for volume 4 though:

Ruby and the remains of Team JNPR face difficulties on the road when they realise the only navigator their friend group ever had was Pyrrha, thanks to her innate sense of magnetic north. Eventually, in the dead of winter and with their supplies completely gone, they end up resorting to cannibalism. But don’t worry - Jaune is eaten first.

Edited by Quiver

On 8/25/2016 at 4:28 AM, Delightful said:

What's the stinger?

The scene at the end of volume 2, after the credits, has Yang seeming to meet Raven.

And...

Everyone knows Rwby has awesome music. So here is an awesome fan-song that someone invented for Tai.

(And maybe I'm dropping it here partly so I don't have to go to youtube whenever I want to listen to how awesome it is, don't judge me.)

Edited by Quiver

Fridge brilliance moment:

Ruby is most associated with beowolves, because of the big bad Wolf, red riding hood thing. But in folklore, what is a werewolves great weakness?

Silver.

Of course Ruby fights beowolves; her eyes show she's a werewolf hunter.

9 minutes ago, Quiver said:

Fridge brilliance moment:

Ruby is most associated with beowolves, because of the big bad Wolf, red riding hood thing. But in folklore, what is a werewolves great weakness?

Silver.

Of course Ruby fights beowolves; her eyes show she's a werewolf hunter.

I've forgotten what fridge brilliance means.

however: Niiiice.

Yeah, great show I find. Volume 3 was definitely the best, though I dislike the fact that some of the fight choreography wasn't that amazing. However, this was outweighed by the better plot. In case anyone was wondering, based on what I heard, this increase in plot, decrease in the number of fights was due to the fact that Monty Oum was... no longer with the project. 

Regarding the Raven and Yang scene. I heard that it was ignored  V3 because the writers didn't want to go in that direction yet but Monty shoe-horned the scene in because he wanted more Raven in V3. As before, without Monty being around, the writers just went ahead and ignored it altogether. 

Regarding ships:

Spoiler

Well, we can probably say that RT was paying attention to the fan ships. Naturally, they responded by blowing them out of the water... after letting one of them set sail first.

• 1 month later...

V4 Trailer spoilers.

Spoiler

The new animation software they're using, Maya I believe, really does show a marked difference, one that I like. Everything feels a lot more defined and smooth unlike the previous volumes. The fight animation has improved a fair bit since V3, but still isn't Monty-level, which is unfortunate. I'm hoping it will get tweaked a bit more to give us the more flashy fighting style we saw in the first two volumes. Overall, I'm really looking forward to V4.

Edited by Spoolofwhool

we're spoilering? ok

Looks like she's gotten significantly better with her Semblance. And no Ruby goofiness. She's so serious.

:( The gorilla is pretty darn scary too. 

I was actually talking to some friends about this, they had some interesting ideas. One being that this shift in tone is Harry-Potter-4-esque, like this seasons is how the tone is 'meant to be' and we just saw their 'backstory' as it happened rather than in flashbacks. And maybe Ruby isn't using Crescent Rose as a gun so much because bullets are scarce. Scary to think of....

we're spoilering? ok

Looks like she's gotten significantly better with her Semblance. And no Ruby goofiness. She's so serious.

:( The gorilla is pretty darn scary too. 

I was actually talking to some friends about this, they had some interesting ideas. One being that this shift in tone is Harry-Potter-4-esque, like this seasons is how the tone is 'meant to be' and we just saw their 'backstory' as it happened rather than in flashbacks. And maybe Ruby isn't using Crescent Rose as a gun so much because bullets are scarce. Scary to think of....