New Tidbit on Burning Invested Objects

Kurkistan

Just something I noticed during the FantasyChat last night:

Source:

Elliot Bonneville ‏@unosoid 13h:
@BrandSanderson I believe most of your novel worlds are connected. What would happen if a Mistborn ingested the metal of a Shardblade/plate?

Brandon Sanderson ‏@BrandSanderson:
@unosoid A shardblade is invested. A Mistborn isn't likely to have a tie to that type of Investiture. So probably nothing would happen...

So it seems that the quote about the one ring "Burn the One Ring, eh? I think it's such a powerfully invested object that it would be very, very dangerous to try" may have lead us astray a bit. Unless shardblades/plate simply aren't powerful enough.

Rather, it looks like you need a "tie" of some kind to get any special reaction. That aligns with compounding and all, or "type" of Investiture could mean that Allomancers are only attuned to Ruin/Preservation.

Aside: I just figured out why Inquisitors are allowed to get weird effects for burning their spikes: the same reason they can use spiked Feruchemists' metalminds. The sDNA in that spike is "theirs" at the point when they burn it.

Edited by Kurkistan

Hmm... I wonder if they tried if it would feel like burning someone else's feruchemicaly charged metal? Of course that would require shardblades being made of metal matching the allomantic-mixtures which might not be true.  If they aren't, and are made of like titanium or something then a mistborn couldn't burn it in the first place.

/>Just something I noticed during the FantasyChat last night:

Source:

So it seems that the quote about the one ring "Burn the One Ring, eh? I think it's such a powerfully invested object that it would be very, very dangerous to try" may have lead us astray a bit. Unless shardblades/plate simply aren't powerful enough.

Or Because the Ring is supposed to hook int oanyeon and tempt them so it already wants to tie to you already so basically burning it would just give the Ring a better grab on your soul and youd end up with saurons powers inside and controlling you instead of in the Ring