Yolen became Roshar

Darkarma

I was listening to the latest interview with Brandon while glancing over the first chapter of Liar of Partinel and I realized something though it may be a bit of a stretch.

Roshar once was invested by all the shards. It's also been around for long enough to develop completely new species adapted to the highstorms but Shinovar shows that it was once something earthlike.

Here's the big thing that hit me.

Roshar is Yolen many many thousands of years later.

Not much in the way of proof of this other than the fact that it was subject to all the shards, which suggests it had human life before the shattering.

Edited by Darkarma

Well the book related to it was called dragonsteel but could giant flying reptiles really survive something as world reshaping as highstorms?

Like I said its a bit of a stretch but it would explain why its been touched by all the shards, could also explain how Shallan could have access to lightweaving if that's actually kept in Words of Radiance.

Roshar and Yolen are different planets. There is no doubt about that.  As far as we know dragons are still extant on Yolen, one of them was the recipient of the Letter.

As far as we know Yolen Lightweaving and Roshar Lightweaving are distinct systems that manifest in the same way. (I say they are distinct systems because they are derived from different sources.)  This WoB talks a little about this.

Also, Yolen plays host to two series, the Liar of Partinel and the seven book Dragonsteel series.  The former takes place pre-Shattering but the latter takes place thousands of years later.  At least roughly the same time as the rest of the cosmere books (give or take a couple centuries of course).

We don't know that dragons are still on Yolen.  We only know that there are/were dragons on Yolen and that the recipient of the letter is a dragon.  We don't know where it is. 

The two lightweaving systems may not be mutually exclusive.  The Roshar lightweaving could have been produced by specific Shardic investment rather than general Adonalsic investment and both could have occurred on the same planet.

At the time of Dragonsteel's initial writing, the shattered plains were on Yolen now they are on Roshar and won't be on Yolen.  (I say this not to make a connection between Yolen and Roshar, but rather to indicate that things may change until the book is published).

That being said, I think it is quite unlikely that Roshar was formerly known as Yolen, but, I do think it is possible.

Edited by Shardlet

Restating this and found my proof from the latest interview in written form.

The main reason why I think its possible is four points, the first is that that each desolation happened in such a way where they were nearly or completely forgotten about so humans would turn on eachother. The second point is that their are 99 of them so far enter on 100.  The third point the differences between Shinovar and the rest of the world and the amount of time required to transition between the two as we know Brandon pays a lot of attention to science and the reason why he put so much time between the desolations was for this point and the next. Finally the fourth is that there are huge differences between each of the human species something that would take at least 10,000 to a 100,000 years. Though this last detail could be handwaved away by the proesence of spren which seem to be agents of change that manifest as well from it that could speed things along.

But from those points its arguable that the name of the planet and history that happened before and just after the shattering could have been completely lost.

Q: How many shards have ever been on Roshar?

A:*Brandon repeats question."

Okay, Oh boy, Um...I... Um....ehh...um

At one point, all of them were on Roshar, which is technically true.

Q: How many shards have invested their power on Roshar?

A: Technically, all of them did.

On the Yolen side we don't have a firm estimate of time between Liar and Dragonsteel really or even when the first highstorm started if they are the same planet as Roshar. However we do know all the original shard holders originated from Yolen (and perhaps that's why Roshar has old magic). I suspect that the holders would have no reason to go to Roshar yet some how the world was touched by all of them, but they would have a reason to leave it, minus Cultivation and Honor... And the honorable thing for Honor to do is stand by its homeplanet right? And Cultivation seems like it would be something rooted and harder to move.

Its the technically part that strikes me. Can anyone say the preshattering andolesium? The Old magic could very well be a remanent of all those different shards as an original whole.

For those who read chapter one of Liar of Partinel its mentioned something called skullmoss is some sort of disaster that is being spread across the known world and using trunes to restrain it from affecting area inhabited by humans. If its like actual moss, the Highstorm sounds very effective in destroying it and preventing it from taking hold, whatever it is.

Between the two, you have 99 desolations and likely the highstorms starting around before the first, enough to completely wipe out most every society that was originally built. I'll go by my own estimate of a hundred-thousand years which is long enough to completely rewrite all of history and hide just about anything else away.

Edited by Darkarma

I think you mean Cultivation, not Endowment.  Endowment is on Nalthis.

I just have a hard time accepting this.  If I remember correctly, the planet names all date back to pre-shattering times, they are what the shards know the planet as.  Why would they change the name from Yolen to Roshar?

Also the Letter to the dragon on Yolen happens after Hoid gets the lerasium bead from the Well of Ascension which is only a couple hundred years before the Way of Kings

I think you mean Cultivation, not Endowment.  Endowment is on Nalthis.

I just have a hard time accepting this.  If I remember correctly, the planet names all date back to pre-shattering times, they are what the shards know the planet as.  Why would they change the name from Yolen to Roshar?

Also the Letter to the dragon on Yolen happens after Hoid gets the lerasium bead from the Well of Ascension which is only a couple hundred years before the Way of Kings

Ah the old reptile... hmm not nessessarily theory sinking but I see what you mean.

And thanks for the catch on Endowment, not sure how I mixed that up. The point remains though.

Any chance you know where the preshattering naming source is from? If that's the case then this theory is sunk then.

Hoid is on Roshar, and he carries items invested by a number of shards, maybe all of them?

The way it was phrased, the shards themselves were invested on Roshar.

Edited by Darkarma

Maybe Adonalsium visited Roshar at one point.  If it created the cosmere, it may have briefly visited every planet to make sure its calculations / flowcharts / D6 rolls were ok.  The "technically" makes me think that BS is playing word games.

I an of the belief that Roshar was the site of Adonalsium's Shattering.

Perhaps The Shattered Plains were shattered when Adonalsium was (Which might explain their presence in Dragonsteel and Stormlight Archive.)

Their presence in both is not canon.  Brandon originally wrote them as being in Dragonsteel but when he wrote Way of Kings he lifted from the former and added it to the latter.  When Brandon re-writes Dragonsteel for publication the Plains will no longer be present within it.

I'm sorry, I should have been more clear.

I am operating under the theory that the reason the Shattered Plains existed in Dragonsteel is because Brandon's draft had Adonalsium shattered there initially. However, at some point he decided to have Roshar be the sight of The Shattering.

I'm sorry, I should have been more clear.

I am operating under the theory that the reason the Shattered Plains existed in Dragonsteel is because Brandon's draft had Adonalsium shattered there initially. However, at some point he decided to have Roshar be the sight of The Shattering.

He has said that he changed cause of the plains when he moved them.

Okay, now that is unclear. I have an idea of what you may be trying to say, but then again you may be saying the exact opposite as well.

I'm assuming that you're trying to say that the reason the Shattered Plains exist in Roshar was changed when he moved them from Yolen. That is that the Shattered Plains were shattered by something other than the shattering of the Adonalsium sparkly now that they exist in Roshar.

The mechanism for the formation of the plains in Dragonsteel appears to be very different than the mechanism on Roshar.  I have been told some info on the Dragonsteel plains and it seems that there they were formed natutally, whereas in Roshar they were formed by a massive release of energy. 

I like the idea that Adonalsium blew up on Roshar, but if it happened anywhere I figure it's at the Origin of Storms. It's a lot weirder than the Shattered Plains.

It doesn't have to mean Yolen became Roshar either. They could've gone to Roshar to do the Adonalsium thing, because it was so dangerous. Maybe Roshar shows up as another planet in the Dragonsteel story. Hoid learned about worldhopping somehow.

Morsk, I was considering the Origin of Storms as a Shattering site as well. It would make some sense and might play well into Hoid's story about the sailor sailing to the Origin. (I'm at work and don't have any of the source material with me, please forgive me for not showing my work.)

I think that the part of "all" of the Shards being on Roshar is clarified in a recent signing.

"Ooh! I just recalled something else that was super-cool.  Some of you may have heard of wetlandernw here or on the Tor rereads.  Anyway, part of the answers to one of her questions (which I will be providing all of to you soon) was that there were some spren on Roshar prior to the arrival of Cultivation and Honor.  These spren resulted from some power left behind by Adonalsium.  Whether this was a snafu of creation, inadvertant neglecting of a bit of dropped power, or some intentional investiture was unclear.  But it appears that spren are a key feature of how Roshar handles loose power of creation." - Shardlet

Well that certainly helps clarify source of the power. Seemed highly unlikely all the shard holders would just meet up on a planet for a highstorm reunion and leave some power behind.

Now I'm almost certain that the Nightwatcher and Old Magic are sourced from Adonalsium. Makes much more sense than honor and cultivation as they are certainly recent magic.

The question is... why was Andonalsium on Roshar? Or was it always there to begin with.