The Line of Revocation (spoilers)

jag519

I have a few questions with this, some/all might be kind of dumb, but that's ok.

First question, which direction does it fire off? I don't think it actually says. Do you draw it with a straight line going forward and then the jagged line going back, the line shooting off where the straight and jagged make the angle together? Or does it shoot off in the direction you end at like a line of viggor?

Next, we know that it effects people, but saying that it could effect things that aren't just chalk implies it could effect other things as well? What do you guys think of it's physical abilities other than that on chalk and people?

If you compare a line of revocation (LoR) to an arrow (archery, neh?), I would liken the angle formed at the end of the straight line of the LoR to the arrowhead and expect the direction of travel to be like an arrow.

I would assume an LoR could react to any 3D body that is in contact with the plane upon which the LoR is drawn.  So, conceivably, you could knock holes in walls and such.  Since the LoR hitting someone knocks them back, rather than knocking their feet out from under them, I would assume that that the force is applied not just at the point of contact.  After thinking about it that way, I wonder if the 3D body needs to be in contact with the drawing surface.

we didnt hear anything about stuff getting damaged in this turnament/brawl thing.

few options.

-> this turnament area is very large, the LoR never hit anything.

->LoR has a very limited range

->LoR does not damage things.

->LoR only hit circles and used its energy/power up?

->like with the "advanced" calklings from Melody, it depends what the rithmatist wants it todo.

edit:->maybe it required the rune/sign of rending to be effective.

edit:->maybe it does only effect calk.

any and all of thouse, we need more knowledge to be sure.

Edited by Crysanja

New option: LoR isn't that powerful: it knocks people off their feet. You really don't need to much force for that. The walls of the tournament venue were nice and solid, and, you know, walls. Force equivalent to a firm punch isn't going to faze them.

Maybe a truly massive amplitude could give you wall-killing power, but not the kinds we've seen drawn so far.

Edited by Kurkistan

Well in the tourny they were only targeting very specific things. Joel wasn't just having her shoot them all willy nilly, they were targeting to hit exactly where he wanted. They only hit chalk, I'm assuming they didn't even hit the people in the circles b/c that would have been kind of a dick move in a tourny. haha.

So I don't think in the tourny we learned anything about them other than that they effect chalk like stronger lines of viggor which we pretty much already know.

Surely a single LoR would not be able to break a wall any more than a single LoVigor could break through a LoForbiddance or a LoWarding.  Also, it takes a substantial amount of force to knock someone off their feet unless it hits them at a point to knock them off-balance.  Even taking a bullet on a BPV (better distribution of force over the body) would not be enough to knock some backwards off their feet unless they were already off-balance (yes, I'm sorry, Hollywood lied).

I also agree that Joel's lines were carefully placed to hit targets.  I did not get the impression that he did a lot of missing. 

LoRs do not appear to be like lines of making (chalklings) at all.  I saw no indication of any need for modification or instructions given beyond drawing the line.

It also appears clear that LoRs affect more than chalk since both Nalizar and Harding were tanked by one.  Yes, the have an essence of chalk attached to them.  but they still are human bodies.

I like the idea of it breaking through a wall like vigor breaks through LoF. So, would like 15 shots break a wall?

And you really did bring up a good point of, do we really know it hits 3d things?

Unless the reason it knocks you down b/c it is like a moving LoF, hitting with a force that goes all the way up, coud it only effect the two of them b/c of a chalk shadow?

Actually, that even brings the point of could it effect other rithmatists but not normal people? Even they have a chalk creature of some kind bound to them.

New option: LoR isn't that powerful: it knocks people off their feet. You really don't need to much force for that. The walls of the tournament venue were nice and solid, and, you know, walls. Force equivalent to a firm punch isn't going to faze them.

Maybe a truly massive amplitude could give you wall-killing power, but not the kinds we've seen drawn so far.

frequency is the strength determining factor not amplitude. at least for the lines of vigor.

Surely a single LoR would not be able to break a wall any more than a single LoVigor could break through a LoForbiddance or a LoWarding.  Also, it takes a substantial amount of force to knock someone off their feet unless it hits them at a point to knock them off-balance.  Even taking a bullet on a BPV (better distribution of force over the body) would not be enough to knock some backwards off their feet unless they were already off-balance (yes, I'm sorry, Hollywood lied).

It's explicitly stated during the tournament that LoR are not much more powerful than LoV.  Joel primarily uses them for the morale effect (the other students aren't familiar with them, after all).

Perhaps Joel's reason for using the LoR is primarily to show off a bit.  And yes, he does say that LoRs are "not that much" (emphasis original)more powerful than LoVs.  But, a single LoR knocked the LoW of another ruthamtist off by several feet as well as "throwing back" both Harding and Nalizar.  It sounds to me that there is substantial power in a LoR. 

Perhaps Joel's reason for using the LoR is primarily to show off a bit.  And yes, he does say that LoRs are "not that much" (emphasis original)more powerful than LoVs.  But, a single LoR knocked the LoW of another ruthamtist off by several feet as well as "throwing back" both Harding and Nalizar.  It sounds to me that there is substantial power in a LoR. 

Hard to say.  Remember that early on in the book it's mentioned that a properly prepared Line of Forbiddence is capable of stopping a cannonball.  When compared to that...

The real issue might be that it's not entirely clear what "powerful" means in relation to LoVs.

The LoF being so strong is not that big of an issue since Joel indicates that it is the strongest of the four basic lines.  We have not yet seen an interaction between a LoR a LoF.  Like you said, it is hard to tell what is meant.  But, it does appear that LoRs are rather potent. 

Are we sure that no LoR his a LoF?  I don't remember it happening, but I'm curious on what would happen. Do we think it would just hit it, trying to break it, or do we think it would bounce like a LoV?

Also, is it possible to bounce a LoV (or assuming it bounces, LoR) into a group of LoFs so it continuously bounces between them until one of them breaks enough for it to move out?

I was wrong.  Jag, your mention of bouncing reminded me.  When Fitch and Harding were dueling, Harding fired enhanced LoVs (i.e., LoRs) at Fitch who drew LoFs to block and deflect them.  It already seemed very unlikely that a single LoR would have penetrated a LoF, especially since a single LoR does not pentrate a LoW (which has been described as less strong than a LoF).  But, there is an instance of LoR and LoF interaction in the book.  However, we don't have a comparative assessment of how many LoRs it would take to penetrate an LoF.  The book does tell us that about 8 or so (I don't recall off-hand) LoVs (hitting in the same spot) will break through an LoF.  But nothing yet for LoRs.