When can Parshendi Change Forms?

Cartith

I was finally getting around to reading the transcribed readings of WoR, and noticed Eshonai talking about the mating form, She said that some Parshendi lock themselves away, then assume mating form with their mate, then are back to their regular form by the next Highstorm, and gladly so. This might imply that they can only change form during Highstorms. This fits well with her explanation they the Parshendi can't spare many for the Lithe form for artwork. If they could just change forms whenever they wanted, this wouldn't be an issue. 

The changing of forms in the highstorm has been confirmed:

QUESTION
So, do the Parshendi need a highstorm to change forms?

BRANDON SANDERSON
They do, good guess! Excellent question.
Source

From my understanding, the Parshendi need three things to change form. A highstorm, the correct spren (possibly captured in a gem) and the right song to sing. The problem they've been having is that they know the songs, but they don't know which spren goes with which song.

• 1 month later...

I like the example he read where they are attempting to discover an artistic Spren to change to a form that they have a song about which I'm assuming references some form of creativity or artisticness.

Perhaps the times in which they can change aren't just restricted by 'during a Highstorm,' but maybe even only during certain times of the year, or only within a certain time-frame of a desolation.

• 2 months later...

Buds, maybe? I'm not sure. Maybe Form-less parshmen can mate as well - it seems the forms emphasize and suppress different things about them, so perhaps the mating form is just more fertile than the Formless, and the other currently existing forms completely suppress the mating instinct. The formless, therefor, would still mate, but less vicariously and presumably less sentiently than the mating form parshmen.

The changing of forms in the highstorm has been confirmed:

From my understanding, the Parshendi need three things to change form. A highstorm, the correct spren (possibly captured in a gem) and the right song to sing. The problem they've been having is that they know the songs, but they don't know which spren goes with which song.

Wait, where did this information about the necessity of the correct songs come from?

Buds, maybe? I'm not sure. Maybe Form-less parshmen can mate as well - it seems the forms emphasize and suppress different things about them, so perhaps the mating form is just more fertile than the Formless, and the other currently existing forms completely suppress the mating instinct. The formless, therefor, would still mate, but less vicariously and presumably less sentiently than the mating form parshmen.

What he said.

Edited by Aether

Is it just me or there a few physical similarities between the Parshendi and the Darkhor from Sel?

I do not see that. The Dakhor monks have their own internal bones twisted and strengthened and used as a quasi-armour, and seem to be able access the Dor through the patterns they form. Parshendi grow their own carapaces and are able to swiftly change forms through bonding different types of Spren. Dakhor are Germanic-ish in complexion and build, while Parshendi have marble like skin of red, black and/or white. Also, one of these are hell-bent on subjugating all of Sel to their own tyrannical theocracy, while the other just seem to want to survive and goes about things more or less honourably.

But in that they both have similar-ish grown armour, sure. They are totally alike!

EDIT: Hmm. Pardon me for sounding a bit harsher than intended. Might I ask you what similarities you were referring to?

Edited by Aether

The Parshendi have multiple forms for multiple uses. One grows bone-armor for combat. Others make them better workers, others make them faster.

The Dakhor ONLY alter their bodies for power. That we've seen, I suppose. It's possible there are monks out there who kill people and use the power to warp the bones painfully inside their own bodies so that they'll be better at gardening.

It's possible there are monks out there who kill people and use the power to warp the bones painfully inside their own bodies so that they'll be better at gardening.

I'm sure this would be a Wyndle approved usage of Dakhor.

Well, he's been to Sel, so it wouldn't be preposterous so suggest that he might have roamed the Cosmere a bit more than is currently known. Though we do not have enough information to do more than guess, right now.

If he has been elsewhere, however, then he doesn't seem to have had much lasting effect on any other worlds than Sel.

And is it just purely a coincidence that both the Fjodell and the Parshendi have a musical element to the "inbred" magic? The Fjordell's have their chanting and the Parshendi have their songs?

Dakhor is a "system of Investiture" while the Parshendi songs seems to be... something else. Still "Investiture," but not a system like Surgebinding or Allomancy, just a quirk of their meta-biology like a Aimian's shadow. Also, with ten planets and who knows how many mystical effects per planet... yeah, eventually he's gonna start to have some overlap. I'm open to the idea that with more evidence there might be a connection, but with just this I'm going with "coincidence" for now.

Is that tongue-in-cheek or are you actually suggesting that an Aimian's reverse shadow (which obviously defies the laws of physics) is a quirk of their meta-biology? 

If by meta-biology, one means sgenetics, then yes. I hesitate to put words into Darnam's mouth but yes. It's a perfectly reasonable magical effect caused by a high species wide Innate Investure, or perhaps something more specific

Is that tongue-in-cheek or are you actually suggesting that an Aimian's reverse shadow (which obviously defies the laws of physics) is a quirk of their meta-biology? 

If by meta-biology, one means sgenetics, then yes. I hesitate to put words into Darnam's mouth but yes. It's a perfectly reasonable magical effect caused by a high species wide Innate Investure, or perhaps something more specific

Um... yes? I'm not sure I understand Shardlet's confusion, though I think Swim re-phrased what I said in an accurate way.

Maybe it would help if I defined meta-biology. Most worlds have at least one formal system of Investiture, something codifiable, a "gift" if you will that a Shard gives to the planet as a whole. Allomancy, feruchemy, Awakening, Surgebinding. It has a formal title, it's a skill or innate power, it's something that sets practitioners apart from non-practitioners.

Then there are things that aren't quite so formal, that are a slight gray area, almost always given in equal measure to every member of a given race. Please see my article on racial magic on Roshar. Even though allomancy is genetic, even though everyone born on Nalthis has Breath, these things aren't quite the formal system of investiture. They're stuff like an Aimian's shadow, or the physical stature of koloss pre-Second Ascension (I think, we don't get to see much of the koloss-blooded in Alloy). They obviously break laws of the known universe, they obviously couldn't exist without Investiture in some way, but they aren't the formal "system" that a Shard grants a world. When they're so obviously tied to a race like the shadow is, my word is "meta-biology," the way I've heard people in sci-fi communities justify "magic" as meta-physics. It's biology, just... not quite pure, Earth biology.

Does that clear anything up? If not, please explain your question to me since I don't understand.

• Chaos locked this topic