Rithmatist San Jose, CA signing

Brandon came to the cozy little bookstore, read us the beginning of Rithmatist and the interlude from WoR.

The interlude is about

king Teravangian, how his IQ varies everyday, ranging from Genius to Idiot, and is required to take a test first thing each morning to find out whether he is in good enough shape to rule his kingdom or not. Seems to be related to old magic.

And the WoR likely will come out January, or November this year if we are lucky.

In Q&A, I asked about whether we have read about the recipient of the letter in his current books.

He said that it is in an unpublished book, only a limited number of reader had a chance to read about him... And he said that by this he practically gave out the name..

Well, to those in the know, who would that be?

Edited by moejarv

number of reader had a chance to read about him... And he said that by this he practically gave out the name..

Well, to those in the know, who would that be?

This would be new information blabbed about Dragonsteel if anyone did it. I've read everything publicly available, including years back in the forums, and I don't know the name of this character.

Before I begin, this is speculation as I have never read Dragonsteel. Therefore I hope I don't run afoul of spoiler policy.

Could it be Hoid's master? I seem to remember hearing somewhere that he was supposed to be dead, but there may be an out for this (especially as I'm not sure of the source for that). Also, perhaps Hoid's master had more than one apprentice? No other ideas jump at me right now.

Chaos says not to talk about that, in the other thread this was posted in.

Unfortunately, I really need to shut this topic down. We just have a policy of no spoilers from unpublished works. I would not want to spoil anyone reading the book.

However, he did confirm a while ago that the Letter's recipient was on Yolen, so I'd say this isn't new knowledge  :) Thanks for the information at the signing though! Feel free, if there was more info from the signing, to make a topic in Signings about it. I just really don't want anyone talking about unpublished stuff.

Sorry guys for closing it...

He does not send out Dragonsteel; it can only be accessed through the BYU library.

Senor, you can discuss whether it is Hoid's master or not. I feel that's okay because those Liar of Partinel sample chapters are publicly available (you can find them here: http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/691-verified-locations-for-unreleased-bookschapters-and-sample-chapters-of-published-books/). Dragonsteel isn't, and I know a lot of people would like to read it. We don't think it's fair to discuss spoiler related stuff to unpublished works when only a small subsection of the population on the boards even have the possibility of accessing them.

So if you have read Dragonsteel proper... smile and don't comment :) But the Liar sample chapters are fair game, since everyone can read those. White Sand, Dragonsteel, and Aether, though, are off limits (though Brandon does send out those books, so more people may have read them). This policy may change eventually, but that's what we've stuck with.

I got a recording of him reading the interlude. I'll hopefully get around to transcribing it soon.

Is it the Taravangian Interlude?  If so its already been transcribed (http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/3496-rithmatist-pa-qa-and-readings/?p=56021 in the second spoiler tag)  Even if it is I would still check to see if anything was changed or added.

I just don't want you wasting time on something that's already been done.

• 1 month later...

That would be the one.  The reading was definitely a teaser as it revealed very little and absolutely nothing about the larger scope of the book (i.e.:  Shallan's arc).

On the location of the signing, however, Hicklebee's was a very intimate setting and the staff was incredibly generous.  I would enjoy attending any book signing there.