The Surgebinders Thieves

"I would guess those were decoys too. They did that kind of thing last time I was there" Screwloose checked his watch. "Thank you for the offer Stranger but i'm afraid I must decline. Alternative arrangements have already been made."

A sound could be heard from the window. "Nothing to see here. Nothing to see here. Nothing to see here." The DA messenger box flew back though the window, landing in Screwloose's outstretched hand. Screwloose popped the top off of the box and retrieved several items from inside. 

"For all your security measures you really don't check your equipment very well do you? This little guy just waltzed right in and took..." Screwloose examined the items. "One Lurcher Spike, one Coinshot Spike and two vials of human tissue samples. I won't know for sure until I can test them of course but I can be pretty confident in their authenticity."

"Thank you for your assistance Ven. Honestly I didn't expect you to even make it inside the Dark Alleys. Truly you were a superb distraction."

Edited by Screwloose

The Stranger chuckled

"Oh, that old thing? It worked perfectly. We now have small samples of your blood and tissue, as well as several of your fingerprints. So thanks for that. I instructed an acolyte to fill it will some goodies. One of those spikes is real, the other may have, unpleasant side effects. And the tissue could be from anything, and I mean anything. It was quite well done though, so I figured we'd throw you a bone and give you a Lurcher spike. Top marks for using a decoy. Anyway, this has been fun, but there's Science to be done." 

And with that he stepped into the shadows and ran face first into a wall. He rubbed his nose and muttered something under his breath about Denizens and their practical jokes then opened his lab coat as smoke exploded from within, obscuring everyone's vision. When the smoke finally cleared, the Stranger was gone.

As it cleared, Dawn cursed. The smoke curled around the pony, leaving her in the middle of a bubble of air.

Keeping defences up was something Dawn had learned early in her apprenticeship. The force bubble that surrounded her was almost transparent and always on; if it wasn't, her expensive clothes -or significantly more importabt , her life- would be a lot less clean.

It didn't help her mood though.

"All that, for nothing," she exclaimed, her voice loud and nasally.

"Forget it. I wouldn't trust you idiots to smuggle moonshine, never mind breaking and entering."

Screwloose pocketed the spikes. He was disappointed that he'd not attained all the materials he needed but no matter. The Dark Alley were always fun to play with. He turned to face Dawn.

"Didn't you apply for a position as my assistant or something? Also i'd advise against threatening my employer, unless you're not particularly fond of your throat. She does have something of a temper."

"Wha- urgh." The pony pulled a face.

"You met one of those Twilights. Was it the pretty pony princess, or an egghead?"

She smirked, leaning against a wall- which by coincidence required stepping away from Winter. Which was the only reason she walked away.

"Well, I'm not a princess, or a scientist. Let's say I'm... a legitimate business pony. You know what that means, don't you?"

"...Well. That's the kind of ability that could come in useful."

Dawn grinned, a long, thin, dark look.

"Okay, you have me confused, so I'm guessing the Twilight you know didn't tell you about the Continuum. See, there are a lot of universes in the multiverse- this one we're in right now seems to have a definite lack of equines." She sniffed in distaste.

"Each universe has a Twilight Sparkle- each one different, and each of us unique. Some of us are a little smarter than others - like me. Back home, I run a... well, let's call it an up and coming enterprise of like-minded ponies. An enterprise that will benefit from these...surgebinding thieves. And since I'm generous, I'm even willing to offer you a chance to join up!"

Edited by Quiver

"Yeah, what the weird minotaur-thibgy said." Dawn paused for a second at the description; Venture clearly wasn't a Minotaur, but frankly, she didn't have any idea what else to call him. She continued.

"First person to get blood on my clothes is going to wish they were dead. Anyway, I don't care about some backalley gang. Pay your dues to the Equestrian Mafia, and you can work for Discord for all I care."

A wolf interned the room, nose on the ground. Moonlight looked up, "Hey, I was getting bored back in the cave so I followed you guys here. Any thing inters..." He stopped short when he saw the pony in the middle of the room. "What the Ruin? What is Star doing here?" He exclaimed.