Additional Fuels

ReaderAt2046

Here's my newest idea. Brandon says that atium, unlike other metals, is really fueling the Allomancy because it has inherent power. So that made me wonder, could there be mistings capable of burning the foci form other magic systems. i.e. mistings who could burn The Tears of Edgli to release some Endowment-related Allomancy or mistings that can burn brightsand to produce oculary.

Here's my newest idea. Brandon says that atium, unlike other metals, is really fueling the Allomancy because it has inherent power. So that made me wonder, could there be mistings capable of burning the foci form other magic systems. i.e. mistings who could burn The Tears of Edgli to release some Endowment-related Allomancy or mistings that can burn brightsand to produce oculary.

Burning the Tears is an interesting idea. I like the idea, but I imagine that there might be some problems with the body "recognizing" the flowers as a burnable substance.

Brightsand is off the table, though. Alcatraz isn't part of the Cosmere.

Burning the Tears is an interesting idea. I like the idea, but I imagine that there might be some problems with the body "recognizing" the flowers as a burnable substance.

It isn't? I thought Identity and Possiblity were Shards (maybe relatives of Ruin and Preservation).

Well, i assumed that there would be Mistings who could burn the Tears, just like there are Mistings who can burn atium.

Well if the tears really are the body of Endowment I figure a mistborn could burn it just like they can burn Atium. Atium don’t act like a key to Preservation but rather it’s a pure form of Ruin. The only reason I could see for it not to work is that while any mistborn has some Ruin in him, he won’t have any Endowment in him and thus might not recognize it as power.

I am not certain it's that simple: Preservation and Ruin react to metal in very strong ways, so it makes sense to me that their power would carry that as well.

That said, it is a good point about how all the humans of Scadrial have some Ruin in them, which might grant access to Atium. That might mean that only a human with some ancestors from another world could use the embodiments of those worlds' Shards. That, or the proper application of Hemalurgy.

-- Deus Ex Biotica

Except that Atium's a METAL. Tears of Edgli is a FLOWER.

Another way to put it is that the mists are the power of Preservation in solid form, but you can't burn those unless you are properly "attuned" to Preservation. So even though I'm a mistborn, I can't burn the mists (Vin did, but that's only because she was chosen to Ascend).

Thus it would be impossible for a Mistborn to burn the tears of Edgli, which is a flower, and so doesn't work with the way the METALLIC arts works.

Not to mention the fact that the only fact that Mistborn work in the first place is because of their connection with Preservation- Vin can burn even more (the mists) because of her increased connection to Preservation. They don't have that connection to Endowment, so unless Endowment decides to directly fuel them (though I'm not sure that he can do that to people who aren't his), they can't access their Breath.

Sure but considering its done on the molecular structure, ye it's not a metal but it's structure will be different in a similar way that lerasium and atium are probably very different molecularly compared to normal metals,

Also if someone from scadrial was given a load of breaths (possibly possible!) would thy then hav a connection to endowment allowing them to use their breaths? And possibly burn the flowers if they could t before due to lack of connection (and not flat out no it's a plant reasons)

I think this is where Hemalurgy would come into play. Im not sure where, but I am pretty sure that I read that one's spiritweb is specific to the world that they were born to. So a Scadrialite could not use the magic of Nalthis unless he had part of Nalthisian spiritweb "grafted" through Hemalurgy to their own.

heh, so now i'm imaging allomancers somehow burning shardplate..... Swallowing a bracer or two is definitely not going to be fun (because good luck breaking up the shardplate and "grinding" it down)

In regards to this theory, I like the idea of it, however, I don't think it's possible. Sure, allomancers may be able to burn atium because it has power inherent to it and not because its an allomantic metal, but remember that people from Scadrial were created through a combined effort of ruin and preservation, so this may have something to do with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Except that Atium's a METAL. Tears of Edgli is a FLOWER.

Not to mention the fact that the only fact that Mistborn work in the first place is because of their connection with Preservation- Vin can burn even more (the mists) because of her increased connection to Preservation. They don't have that connection to Endowment, so unless Endowment decides to directly fuel them (though I'm not sure that he can do that to people who aren't his), they can't access their Breath.

Mistborn are not drawing on Preservation when they burn atium either. They burn the atium directly. Logically, they ought to be able to do this with any substance of power.

Mistborn are not drawing on Preservation when they burn atium either. They burn the atium directly. Logically, they ought to be able to do this with any substance of power.

Not necessarily. The process that draws the power out of atium may not work on non-metals. Certainly Atium can't be used to make dyes. (I think)

Atium is a "god metal" not one of the normal 16, so it is the metal itself "burning" and giving the power from the physical aspect - the body of a god is how it was referenced if I remember correctly. Normal metals are like putting in a passcode to access power, whereas atium's power comes from the metal itself. Am I understanding this correctly?

Atium is a "god metal" not one of the normal 16, so it is the metal itself "burning" and giving the power from the physical aspect - the body of a god is how it was referenced if I remember correctly. Normal metals are like putting in a passcode to access power, whereas atium's power comes from the metal itself. Am I understanding this correctly?

Yes. That's the whole basis of this theory.

Ok, I was trying to clarify before going further with this. The Tears are used to make the best dyes. The using of breath consumes color. Essentially, the Tears are a more efficient focus for the magic. So, the only way I can see is to "dye" the metals using a "metallic lacquer" and hold an obscene ammount of breath. Essentially you will be pulling color from your Hemalurgic spikes, while commanding your clothes to strengthen, like Vasher, and pulling on a random metal object to fly. An inter-magical pewterarm/lurcher! Yay! I hope it makes sense, because I like it!

• 1 month later...

Inorder for anything to be used as a recognizable focus, The Shard's power thats being focused would have to interact with the user's sDNA or Spiritwebb…hemulgary could be used to Graph another Shard's sDNA Signature onto someone else making Their Associated focus recognized…pure speculation

Inorder for anything to be used as a recognizable focus, The Shard's power thats being focused would have to interact with the user's sDNA or Spiritwebb…hemulgary could be used to Graph another Shard's sDNA Signature onto someone else making Their Associated focus recognized…pure speculation

On this same topic, what do you suppose would happen if an Allomancer burned pure handwavium :lol:

More seriously, atium is not a focus. Atium is a real fuel, unlike the other metals. In other words, burning pewter allows you to siphon off the power of Preservation. Burning atium releases a certain amount of Ruin. burning the Tears should release Endowment.

Kind of off topic, but it's been mentioned that holding a Shard's power for any amount of time fundamentally changes a person - that is, after all, what happens to Slivers (though granted, we don't entirely know how that person is changed). I don't see why a current Shardholder should be any different.

As to the theory, I really don't see this as feasible. As Zas pointed out, the Tears are a flower. Regardless of the mechanics of how atium really works, remember that it still takes the form of a metal, which is the focus for the Metallic Arts. To think that this is somehow a coincidence is just too big a leap for me to make.

Not to mention, the Tears are from Nalthis. I highly doubt that someone from Scadrial would have the proper spiritual DNA to burn them. Even if it were possible to burn a flower.

Allomancy is one of the Metallic Arts, since all of you seem to be ignoring Zas when it was already pointed out that Tears couldn't be Burned on merit of them being flowers.

ALL Allomantic powers come from the metals that are Burned. Being the body of Ruin doesn't make Atium any different from the other Allomantic metals since Atium itself takes the form of a metal. Ergo, it Burns in the same manner as iron, steel, tin, etc..

Can I repeat the world "metal" enough times before it causes an epiphany in some of you?

At this moment in time I feel like filling my post with as much connotations towards the fact that Allomancy is fuelled by metal, but hey, continue the discussion like Zas, KChan and me never said anything.

Edited by Lyrebon