Steelpush/Ironpull Formula

Kelsier's Son

Hi, I'm Kelsier's son, and I may have figured out the formula for Steelpushes and Ironpulls, but specifically Steelpushes. Allow me to explain.

This is all assuming the Cosmere abides by the normal laws of physics.

We know, thanks to Newton, that Force is equal to mass times acceleration, F = ma.

Well, what's acceleration? It's the change in velocity (Vf - Vi)/t

Thus, we get F = m((Vf - Vi)/t)

Now, where would we get the velocity? Well, when Vin or Wax pushes on an object, it's giving it kinetic energy, whose formula is KE = (1/2)mV^2

Solving for V, we get sqrt(m/(2KE))

Now, this energy isn't coming from nowhere. I theorize that a certain gram amount of steel/iron has a certain amount of Potential Energy, what I call Metallic Potential Energy, whose formula I have derived to be MPE = bMt, where b is the burn rate (half burn, flaring, etc.), M is the energy at b = 1, and t is time. 

We can set the MPE equal to the KE, so that MPE = KE, which we can substitute their respective equations: bMt = (1/2)mV^2. Solving for V, sqrt(m/(2(bMt)).

Now, we can take this velocity and plug it into the force equation from earlier Fs = m((sqrt(m/(2(bMt2) - sqrt(m/(2(bMt2) )/t-t1).

This gives us the Average force from Time one to Time two. If we want the instantaneous force, we have to get a little advanced.

Let's make Fs a function of time, Fs(t), where Fs(t) is our Force equation from earlier. Let's slap a Limit in there. Now, Fs(t) = m lim(t1->t2) ((sqrt(m/(2(bMt2) - sqrt(m/(2(bMt2) )/t-t1).

Well, wait, that's a derivative.

If we take advantage of that, and do a little bit of algebra, we get Fs(t) = t/(2sqrt(2bMt/m)) This my friends is my Theory of Steelpushes

I hope this makes sense. If it doesn't, I understand.

thething.png

Edited by Kelsier's Son

Welcome to the Forums. Nice math!

Also, we don't yet have a standard Investiture Unit of measure, but know that burned metal is pulling Investiture from the spiritual realm and the Investiture is what is converting into Kinetic Energy. It doesn't really effect your equations except for a possible added step where you would be converting bMt to IUs - but since they are equivalent it's not much of a factor at this point.

6 hours ago, Kelsier's Son said:

Ignore the quotes, I didn't realize what their inputs were until I pushed the button and couldn't figure out how to delete them

• Edit the post
  • Click inside the quote
  • Hover over the header and look for the 4-way arrow icon in the upper left
  • click that and press Delete

Also, some other "forumisms" that may not be familiar to you:

Spoiler

At the bottom left of a post you will see a "+" icon, a "Quote" link, and (your posts only) and Edit and Options tools. On the bottom right you will see an up arrow.

• The Up Arrow is how you thank people or "like" a post
  • The "Quote" link is exactly that, when you click it the quote will be added to the reply at the bottom of the thread wherever the cursor is
    • So, if you have already started to reply before you decide to quote you can then add the quote before or after your text depending on the cursor location when you click "Quote"
  • The + icon is multi-quote. As you read a thread, if you want to quote multiple items you click that for each post
    • As you click +, you should see a toaster pop-up on the bottom right of the browser window showing how many quotes you will have
    • They are added in the order you click the + icon, not in the original post order, so you can set the order of quotes for your reply
    • When you are ready to reply, click on the toaster pop-up and it will take you directly to the reply section and add the quotes automatically
  • Finally, you can also highlight a small section of a post and, when hovering over the highlit portion, click the "Quote" button that pops up.
  • Also note that you can move quotes after they have been added to your reply.
    • For example, you add a quote and realize there are no empty lines below it for you to type - so you can hit "enter" before the quote to make an empty line then when you hover over a quote you will see a 4-way arrow at the top-left that you can use to drag the quote up (or down)  and move the quote to before the empty line. . .
  • Use the Edit link to make changes to a completed post or add information to your post if it is the most recent (to avoid double posting)
    • Quote buttons will still send a quote to "Reply" if you have a post open for edit, but it is easy to cut/paste the quote to the Edit box
    • Editing allows you to add a reason for the edit (Spelling and grammar (SPAG), formatting, clarification, new information, etc.), but it is not required.
  • Next to Edit you will also find an "options" dropbox, you can use this to hide your post if you want to remove it after posting
  • At the top of a post you will find "Report Post"
    • Use this if you do accidentally double-post (sometimes it's the browser or a slow link that causes a double post) - just leave a message that it was an accidental double post and the Mods can fix it. If it was the first post of a new thread that doubled, they usually can merge the threads if they both have answers, so all of the content is retained.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Treamayne
Clarity

Good one. I like math, but I don't think it would be that easy. First, it's not just the burn rate, Allomantic strength is also a very important factor here, the stronger the Allomancer (like Elend compared to Vin), the more force he can exert within the same time and the same burn rate.

Is that the variable "M"? Why is energy M not E? M is for mass! :P It confused me! If so, ignore the next paragraph. 

This could likely be resolved by adding another variable like "p", which would be Allomantic power of Allomancer, in most cases, their power would be on the same level, like Kelsier=Wax, Vin was said to be a bit stronger, likely she ingested Mists when she was younger, Inquisitors are on the other hand a bit weaker, because of their hemalurgic decay (something like 0.9p of Kelsier), but Elend or Rashek are towering over them with massively stronger Allomancy, Rashek could even push on metal traces and invested spikes. That's a lot of power.

But then there is Wax, who has Iron feruchemy and can change his mass, which just breaks equations of kinetic and potential energy. Like when Wax changes his mass mid flight, due to conservation of momentum (which is conserved), his speed changes, but also his potential and kinetic energy is change, and his speed, derived from kinetic energy equation, doesn't match up with his new real speed, derived from conservation of momentum. I’ve done math on this and that’s what I got. His example clearly shows us that our equations for energy are incomplete, as they don't take into account investiture, 3rd state of energy. This would likely break your equation as well, especially in case of Wax and Feruchemical Iron.

But that still looks like a good approximation of the force of steelpush, using our real physics. I think the best test of it would be to use math and calculate the force Vin used when pushing on top of Luthadel walls, it was said how tall they were, so it should be doable.

• 5 months later...