Cat Inquisitors

Satsuoni

Right. so this topic started here: Feruchemy Revealed, and seemed to generate a lot of resonance, so I thought a separate topic would be welcome.. Feel free to delete it, if that is not so.

Summary:

I have proposed the possibility of creating a sentient cat-inquisitor by using Hemalurgy to transfer aspects of sentience.

Kurkistan has supported the idea, and joined the ranks of (yet unnamed) organization.

Soother has expressed some disturbance with the idea, yet joined.

Kurkistan has proposed a name "Caton of Inquisition" for the organization, so that will be used unless there is a better idea.

I have designated myself as a head researcher of the Caton (And one of very few (or only) human members, since it is unfortunately necessary for the first Cat to be made by human, and taught how to make others. I have also proposed the idea for the initial spike distribution.

In this thread, I propose to gather the ideas/opinions related to the Caton, possibly short stores of the deeds performed by the SpyKats (name under consideration... this one is kinda weird), additional spikes, etc. Also, try to keep (more or less) to the canonical, or at least theorized abilities.

Ok, I start :)

My assumptions/ theories:

1. What can be stored (Feruchemically), can be stolen. (see above topic)

2. Atium steals the whole spirit web. The effects only vary by the bind point.

3. Sense of identity, etc, applied to an animal can give sentience. Possibly enough of the connection to preservation given by any spikes can give sentience, but unknown.

4. Pieces of other shards (abilities from other worlds) can also be stolen, if the victim happens to be on Scadrial, or possibly by a Scadrial person.

5. Feruchemy + allomancy can give the effect of positive feedback, increasing feruchemical power drawn from burned metal, limited to the size of metal (in stomach) for the upper power output and duration.

6. Together, the above theories+cats= AWESOME.

Now, something like fanart, i guess. I can't write a story worth rust, but still.. Here goes: (POV: unnamed cat-inquisitor)

He perched on the rooftop above the dark alleyway, burning tin. In combination with his originally sensitive hearing, this allowed him to hear everything going on in this poor quarter of the city, which at the moment was nothing. Nothing interesting, at any rate. He sighed, bored. His increased concentration, along with wakefulness tapped from his bronzemind, allowed him to keep vigilant, but that did not mean that he enjoyed that. Unfortunately, they have drawn too much on the city resources in their hurry to create more brothers and sisters, and the crime rate in the city has dropped drastically. Unfortunately, he could not even seriously consider going after more lawful citizens for the necessary powers without waves of pain radiating from the sapphire-capped spike in his side, where the honorspren smuggled from Roshar was kept. His aditional power was based on Honor, so any deviation from honorable path, such as considering breaking his oath, weakened the connection, making the hemalurgy charge less effective, and the spike more harmful to his body. Brothers with the Odium-based powers were much better at wreaking havoc... which was the very reason he, and not one of them was chosen for this mission.

His contemplation was interrupted by the sounds of struggle on the very edge of his enhanced hearing. He concentrated, drawing some additional hearing from a small ring on his hind paw. There was no doubt - a mugging was in progress. He will have a prey today, after all. Flaring pewter, he sprang in the direction of the sound.

He leaped from one rooftop to the other, sometimes skipping several houses in a row. He barely needed pewter, really - five spikes transferring almost whole strength of a human gave more than enough power to lift his 20-kilo body as it were, but he liked the rush. There -now he could see a mugger, as well as his victim. What is more, his improved Ironsight showed a thick line pointing to the mugger's stomach, making him an allomancer, most probably a Thug. The victim was alive, which was well, but conscious, which was not, since the existence of Caton had to be kept secret.. for now, and his oaths prohibited him from just removing witnesses. He slunk carefully to the edge of the roof, and started filling the Duralumin metalmind with all the strength he could muster, reducing human awareness of him, and flared a Chromium metalmind, drawing inordinate amounts of Fortune in a single burst. An ordinary cat, hidden before that time in the shadows, happened to choose that moment to chase something, causing the heap of trash to collapse. The sudden sound and movement has distracted both victim and the criminal, allowing him to pull the hapless thug by a single massive ironpull coupled with the additional wights drawn from the ironmind being burned, focused on the knife he was using to subdue the victim. Drawing attributed from steel and zincminds, he quickly slapped his prey on the precise spots on the neck, rendering him unconscious before he could realize what happened, or the victim could turn around. Still drawing speed, he released Zincmind, and started drawing stored strength, increasing in bulk just enough so that he could balance his prey on his back, he bounded away.

"Not much for me to do here", a voice complained in his mind, originating from the sheath on his side, where a small obsidian axe encrusted with infused gemstones was hidden from sight. The weapon was a first experiment, successfully recreating the process used to make the famous Nightblood, and given the command to obey him, and only him absolutely. He was required to have it with him at all times "to study the development of the intelligence", as head R&D guy has put it, but it still has not seen battle, and chafed for it. Come to think of it, he was bored as well, and since today's prey has filled his criminal quota for this month...

"Don't worry", he thought back at it, "A nice vacation on Roshar will give you plenty to do, and soon. Very soon."

P.S. The story is mainly intended as a showcase for powers *sigh*, but still...

Edited by Satsuoni

Excellent! Spreading the word of the Caton ought to be our first priority! Might I suggest that you add a bit more line-spacing to the OP, though? It's a bit intimidating right now. :o

*Sincerely wishes that there was a cat-smiley*

Also, I'm not sure about bringing in Roshar/Nalthis at this juncture. It creates some fairly hefty spoilers for a relatively small gain. Our Cat Inquisitors are awesome enough with just Scadrial's magic systems to draw upon!

Overall, thanks for creating this thread. I'm glad we don't have to hijack the Feruchemy thread just to get our message out anymore. As to our motto, does anyone know Latin, or someone who does? Our new motto of "Let the cats reign" might have a bit more gravitas in italicized Latin.

P.S. On the motto: I'm fine with "Let the cats reign," although it might be a bit more democratic to open the floor for voting.

Edited by Kurkistan

Excellent! Spreading the word of the Caton ought to be our first priority! Might I suggest that you add a bit more line-spacing to the OP, though? It's a bit intimidating right now. :o

I'll try.

Also, I'm not sure about bringing in Roshar/Nalthis at this juncture. It creates some fairly hefty spoilers for a relatively small gain. Our Cat Inquisitors are awesome enough with just Scadrial's magic systems to draw upon!

You are right.. Yet it is my solemn duty as a scientist do experiment with new, wonderful things! But let us consider it a far-off future... Or just a possibility, for now.

Overall, thanks for creating this thread. I'm glad we don't have to hijack the Feruchemy thread just to get our message out anymore. As to our moto, does anyone know Latin, or someone who does? Our new moto of "Let the cats reign" might have a bit more gravitas in italicized Latin.

Um, I don't know. Something like "Imperii Felis", I guess.

[Edit] "Imperiat Feles" seems to be a correct form, according to wiki.

P.S. On the moto: I'm fine with "Let the cats reign," although it might be a bit more democratic to open the floor for voting.

Well, I am open to suggestions.. That was just the first thing that came into my head, from WoT actually, "Let the Lord of Cha/t/os rule", or something.

The mice don't stand a chance.

I didn't make them sentient just for the mice.. that not considering the fact that the Cat Inquisitor, in times of need, can subsist on small amount of bendalloy nearly forever...

But we must keep our plans (creating the Cat Adolnasii by combining all shards) quiet for now, lest the humans suspect...

Edited by Satsuoni

Thank you!

Um.. sorry to sound like a total noob (which I kinda am),but.. what newsletter?

I'm just stating that I like where this idea is going, and quoting Homer Simpson in order to do it. :P

=^.^=

But we must keep our plans (creating the Cat Adolnasii by combining all shards) quiet for now, lest the humans suspect...

Catonalsium?

Edited by darniil

I'll try.

Thanks for creating some space there. It's much more readable now.

You are right.. Yet it is my solemn duty as a scientist do experiment with new, wonderful things! But let us consider it a far-off future... Or just a possibility, for now.

The future is indeed limitless.

Um, I don't know. Something like "Imperii Felis", I guess.

[Edit] "Imperiat Feles" seems to be a correct form, according to wiki.

Actually, I just remembered that I know a Latin major. I'll get back to you within a day on an authentic translation.

Well, I am open to suggestions.. That was just the first thing that came into my head, from WoT actually, "Let the Lord of Cha/t/os rule", or something.

Fair enough.

I didn't make them sentient just for the mice.. that not considering the fact that the Cat Inquisitor, in times of need, can subsist on small amount of bendalloy nearly forever...

An excellent strategy.

=^.^=

Thank you very much. =^.^=

We have a problem

cu·ri·os·i·ty   [kyoor-ee-os-i-tee] Show IPA

noun, plural -ties.

the desire to learn or know about anything; inquisitiveness.

a curious, rare, or novel thing.

a strange, curious, or interesting quality.

Archaic. carefulness; fastidiousness.

look at definition 1

in·quis·i·tor   [in-kwiz-i-ter] Show IPA

noun

a person who makes an inquisition.

a questioner, especially an unduly curious or harsh one.

a person who investigates in an official capacity.

a member of the Inquisition.

and again definition 2

So a Inquisitive Cat would as be a curious cat.

And as we all know, "Curiosity Killed the Cat"

qed: Inquisitor cats must be undead as well, or else else the first cat spike would have to enable TLR's healing/age trick.

=^.^=

Catalyst21

Edited by Catalyst21

We have a problemlook at definition 1and again definition 2So a Inquisitive Cat would as be a curious cat.And as we all know, "Curiosity Killed the Cat"qed: Inquisitor cats must be undead as well, or else else the first cat spike would have to enable TLR's healing/age trick.=^.^=Catalyst21

Or an Inquisi-Cat only dies one time when becoming an Inquisitor, leaving 8 (half of 16?! It's a sign!) lives left during which to paint the world red.

Needs moar picturez.

There are some nice ones here.

Edited by Kurkistan

There are some nice ones here.

Thanks! I will probably come up with some others, if I can think up some good lines.

I would shoot for 256 spikes. Then you would have 16^2!!!!! Spikes! We should definitely start up some Skaa breeding camps. And restart the Terris breeding camps as well...

If you double up on every possible spike combination you get 256. Linky for the listing of all combinations (this may or may not work after we find out what all of them do.)

Ask and you shall recieve: BEHOLD! The Cat Inquisitor Smiley: post-497-0-99043900-1320706981_thumb.jpg

Edit: Not sure why there is a grey box around the CIS...oh well.

Edited by Thor

If we approximate the surface area of a cat at 150 in^2 (Someone let me know if they have a better estimate) the spike's head shouldn't be bigger than about .8 inches in diameter if you are going for the full 256 spikes... That would be a really odd looking cat...

Ask and you shall recieve: BEHOLD! The Cat Inquisitor Smiley: post-497-0-99043900-1320706981_thumb.jpg

Edit: Not sure why there is a grey box around the CIS...oh well.

post-497-0-99043900-1320706981_thumb.jpg

I can't seem to get it to work. :(

If we approximate the surface area of a cat at 150 in^2 (Someone let me know if they have a better estimate) the spike's head shouldn't be bigger than about .8 inches in diameter if you are going for the full 256 spikes... That would be a really odd looking cat...

It won't be that big of a problem if spikes can get very small. I am apparently very bad at finding quotes to support my beliefs, but I am under the impression that just about any size of metal can serve as a full Hemalurgic spike. Vin's earring would be the smallest we've seen so far.