Character Designs -- Stormlight Archive

shallan88

I recently finished some character designs just in time for Words of Radiance. I posted them to the gallery and would really love to hear some feedback from you guys. 

2trSWjz.png

Here is a link to my Behance portfolio for higher res images: https://www.behance.net/gallery/WoK-Character-Concepts/15065047

Edited by shallan88

Well now that you asked =)

Your Navani are spot on. I like your Mature Beauty style, it's exactly what i pictured =)

I liked your Kaladin interpretation very battered looking like someone put in a bad spot.

Your Shallan are different of people usually draw her. You put her with a auburn hair I picture her with a more ginger hair, and you put her a very serious face, it reminder me oh her impersonating "imposing brightlady" in WOR. =)

Adolin sure looks a spoilled rich boy you got that right.

And your Dalinar aren't a pretty face, put sure like someone of militar inclination. Usualy Dalinar are pictured with a more "favorable light" I mean you really had him ugly but imposing i liked that.

Any chance of you doing some of the Brigde 4 members or other character =)

In sum you are very talented =)

Edited by Natans

And your Dalinar aren't a pretty face, put sure like someone of militar inclination. Usualy Dalianr are pictured with a more "favorable light" I mean you really him ugly but imposing iliked that.

I think people usually draw him that way because of a natural inclination to draw attractive people. There are quite a few instances in WoR where people, Shallan in particular, think Dalinar has an unattractive but intimidating face so I think she got that pretty spot on.

Kaladin and Dalinar work best for me.

Adolin is also pretty solid, but something about his hair puts me off. He's definitely got the pretty face going on, but I can't remember whether his hair is supposed to be soft and curly or kind of spiky. It's possible that I am influenced by other fanart here though.

Navani's hair is also what throws me off about her. It looks like she has a wild tress or something on her front left side, and this looks strange on her. But I think the "stately mature beauty" is there.

Shallan... after seeing the endpages drawing, I can't really imagine her otherwise. She is not going to work for me, ever... =\

Thank you all very much for the input! 

Navani was the first character i worked on. I felt that I had a fairly solid grasp of her personality and features. The hair though...I can see where that doesn't quite live up to the descriptions or may seem random. I chose to have some of it loose because of her devil may care attitude. She's free to do whatever the hell she wants. I can understand how I didn't push it enough/made it look too sloppy. 

Kaladin felt right the whole time. He was a breeze to paint and came out exactly how I hoped. I'm glad he's been well received. 

Shallan's choices were a bit personal. As someone with auburn red hair and fairly freckle-free I wanted to portray her in a way that slightly deviated from the ginger stereotype. That being said, I agree with all your comments that she doesn't quite fit the character -- other renditions capture her better.

Adolin and Dalinar kinda fell in place just like Kaladin. I'll go back and add more black to Adolin's hair. In terms of the texture, I got the impression that it was effortlessly tousled and romantic. He embodies the strong, fresh youths of Greek mythology to me and some curl is necessary. Also, I'm happy you all find Dalinar successfully unattractive, he's my favorite. 

I've actually been playing with the idea of Bridge Four and a few others. Definitely Rock, Teft, and Sadeas...maybe Lopen. Is there anyone you'd really like to see done? 

Fair enough, I can agree about Navani's hair. It doesn't work for me, but I can say that the reason is with my ideas, not the art. Obviously the situation is the same with Shallan.

As for your next drawings, I think Jasnah is an obvious choice. Maybe Szeth and Syl too. And Rock.

Another drawing let me see.

If you begin with any of them and finish with everyone that would be nice =) (The more the better ;p)

Serious Bridge 4 have a harm place in my heart, all drawings of them are welcomed =)

Edited by Natans

0ZvfZlO.jpg

Hi -- I started some new sketches. 

On the left is Moash. I'm a bit stuck on his hair. Does anyone have any suggestions? 

Middle is Rock, feel pretty solid on this one. 

Right Sadeas. I wanted him to be overweight with a shadow of his former strength. 

I've been stalling on Jasnah, but will get to her tonight along with Teft and Elhokar. 

Opinions please, Thanks! 

I don't remember the exactly description of Rock, but wasn't there something about his beard and hair mismatching in where they are shaved? For some reason I am left with the idea that if his mustache and chin are shaved, then the sides of his hair must also be. Or something weird like that...

Do you mean that he'd be left with a mohawk-like hairstyle -- maybe from the temples down? Honestly though I don't really remember a description either way. Yours is an interesting take, I like it. 

Edited by shallan88

Nope, I was wrong.

Despite all of his complaining, he hadn’t shaved his beard off completely. He had left long, red-blond sideburns, which curved down to his chin. The tip of the chin itself was shaved clean, as were his lips. On the tall, oval-faced man, the look was quite distinctive.

XeGHXWX.png

Hello All! I finished Jasnah, but I feel something is a bit off...maybe the size/shape of her mouth? Let me know what you think. I hope to see some of you at the signing Friday  :)

EDIT: Below is a different version. Preference? 

0qToRDE.jpg

Edited by shallan88

Jasnah look amazing! Especially since she definitely looks like Navani's daughter!

Of your others, I  thought that Sadeas was Roshone. But they're both horrible lighteyes anyway, so..... :P. I pictured Sadeas as quite skinny, actually, which is probably why I was confused.

Oh, and Rock's beard is awesome. :)

AHH I'm so excited! I was at the Philadelphia signing this evening and brought posters of my artwork. Brandon had me sign the one I gave him and told me he is interested in me doing cover art for his books! Tonight has been an amazing night :D 

Thanks for everyone who has posted and helped me with these characters -- the comments have been so helpful!! 

I like the first version of Jasnah better, the second one has a too big mouth imo. Perhaps make her lips a bit thinner if you wish to change something in the first one? But I think it's her eyes are what don't really match, not her mouth, because they don't look like having an epicanthic fold and seem blue rather violet to me. I don't know, sorry. But I really like the first version anyway, it's great the way it is now. 

Her hair is pulled back. There's a bun, you just can't see it :)

In terms of her eyes I pictured them as more of an icy blue-violet. I thought a true violet would be too warm for her and gave them to Navani.

Edited by shallan88

I'm out of my self imposed "vacation" of the forum (I was spending unhealthy amounts of time here) just to say CONGRATULATIONS.

I sure hope that you get a chance to work with Team Brandon =)

PS: Your second Jasnah are a fine piece of art keep doing  Stromlight drawings you are very talented =)