[OB] Hoid’s healing ability

TheHeadHancho

It has been stated by Brandon that Hoid is capable and actively heals his soul to a near miraculous extent. When looking into the Nahel bond and realizing that advanced radiants can heal their soul as well (not as well as Hoid but still), I have come up with a theory. Perhaps one of the reasons Hoid has been traveling specifically to worlds with increased amounts of innate investiture and trying to claim each magic is to have enough of a significant amount of investiture lacing his spiritweb to be able to heal. However, I am not sure if this extends to his apparent immortality (or heavily increased lifespan). I recall having read that he travels through time rather than waiting for things to happen.

I haven't seen that specific WoB, but what I find interesting is that he can't control his healing abilities. He just does, and needed something to stop it at the end of Oathbringer for his disguise. Coppermind states he is a Feruchemist, but normally they would need to tap what's stored up in their metalmind.

1 hour ago, Naurock said:

I haven't seen that specific WoB, but what I find interesting is that he can't control his healing abilities. He just does, and needed something to stop it at the end of Oathbringer for his disguise. Coppermind states he is a Feruchemist, but normally they would need to tap what's stored up in their metalmind.

That Coppermind reference stems from a really old WoB where Brandon said that Hoid's plot-sense came from "an unknown application of Feruchemy" (referring to Fortune, long before we knew the term).  I wouldn't put too much stock in it.  

4 minutes ago, Naurock said:

Thanks for the info @Landis963!

With that said, there are Mistborn spoilers that could provide a workaround, but they haven't happened yet in-universe as of OB.  BoM spoilers:  

Spoiler

Specifically, there exists the ability, via two of the more esoteric Feruchemy metals, to place a Metalborn ability in a metalmind such that it can be used by anyone who picks it up.  However, this hadn't been developed by the time Hoid left, and he won't be back to Scadrial to retrieve it until after Stormlight 5 at the earliest.  

1 hour ago, Landis963 said:

With that said, there are Mistborn spoilers that could provide a workaround, but they haven't happened yet in-universe as of OB.  BoM spoilers:  

Reveal hidden contents

Specifically, there exists the ability, via two of the more esoteric Feruchemy metals, to place a Metalborn ability in a metalmind such that it can be used by anyone who picks it up.  However, this hadn't been developed by the time Hoid left, and he won't be back to Scadrial to retrieve it until after Stormlight 5 at the earliest.  

I have read BoM and so I do know of them. I'm just curious why Hoid is unable to control his healing abilities. Guess till we get further it'll be just *shrug* Yolen stuff.

Well, Hoid can control his ability to the extent that he can consciously supress it, but beyond that it seems to be an automatic thing. And yeah, 'Yolen stuff' is probably the best we're going to have to work with for a long while.

On 1/18/2018 at 6:00 PM, TheHeadHancho said:

It has been stated by Brandon that Hoid is capable and actively heals his soul to a near miraculous extent. When looking into the Nahel bond and realizing that advanced radiants can heal their soul as well (not as well as Hoid but still), I have come up with a theory. Perhaps one of the reasons Hoid has been traveling specifically to worlds with increased amounts of innate investiture and trying to claim each magic is to have enough of a significant amount of investiture lacing his spiritweb to be able to heal.

Probably not, given that Brandon has said that the system Hoid uses to heal is really really old, before any of the various systems of magic we've seen him obtaining existed. So he probably doesn't need to obtain any new sources of Investiture to keep it going. He's survived who knows how many thousand years without access to Breath (which we know is a fairly recent thing for him, per WoR) or allomancy (he only obtained lerasium within ~300 years of his appearances in Stormlight Archive) by way of example.

Oh, and on the lifespan thing, Brandon has said that while Hoid does use some sort of time dilation so that he hasn't actually experienced all the time he's 'lived', Hoid has still actually experienced far more time than any normal human should be able to.

Corroborating OB detail

Spoiler

When Shallan assumes that by 'old' Hoid means he's the same age as the Heralds, he tells her that when they were newborns he had already lived 'dozens' of lifetimes. So yeah, he skips some time but he is genuinely ancient by any standard.

• Greywatch changed the title to [OB] Hoid’s healing ability

Hoid is capable of manipulating several of his spiritual components (assumed by obersvation). So he can do things similar to Feruchemy, however the mechanic (magic) is different and comes from Yolen. This is what allows him to stop his aging, heal, and manipulate luck. So he's already immortal and very difficult to kill without new powers. 

That said, it does appear that Hoid is collecting new powers. The reason is unknown though, he may just want new powers, how he might have an actual reason, dunno.

Edited by Wandering Investor

1 hour ago, Wandering Investor said:

Hoid is capable of manipulating several of his spiritual components (assumed by obersvation). So he can do things similar to Feruchemy, however the mechanic (magic) is different and comes from Yolen. This is what allows him to stop his aging, heal, and manipulate luck. So he's already immortal and very difficult to kill without new powers. 

That said, it does appear that Hoid is collecting new powers. The reason is unknown though, he may just want new powers, how he might have an actual reason, dunno.

We're actually not sure if his powers come from Feruchemy,or an equivalent.  Brandon's been cagey about which one it is :)

Just now, RShara said:

We're actually not sure if his powers come from Feruchemy,or an equivalent.  Brandon's been cagey about which one it is :)

His ability to heal has been confirmed as a Yolish power. I also interpreted Brandon's cageyness(is that a word?) do to his using Feruchemy as an example of further underlying mechanics of the Cosmere, specifically the spiritual aspects. Hoid has powers that work in similar ways in that they're able to affect spiritural aspects. But you're correct, that is an assumption. Hoid may have Furechemy to do some of the stuff he does. It would likely require him figuring out how the original Terris people got the power, so not likely, but not impossible.

4 minutes ago, Wandering Investor said:

His ability to heal has been confirmed as a Yolish power. I also interpreted Brandon's cageyness(is that a word?) do to his using Feruchemy as an example of further underlying mechanics of the Cosmere, specifically the spiritual aspects. Hoid has powers that work in similar ways in that they're able to affect spiritural aspects. But you're correct, that is an assumption. Hoid may have Furechemy to do some of the stuff he does. It would likely require him figuring out how the original Terris people got the power, so not likely, but not impossible.

Yeah, sorry, I was referring to the Feruchemical aspects (Fortune/Luck, etc).  I just woke up.  That's my excuse!

• Chaos locked this topic