What's With the Spam

3 minutes ago, Chiri-Chiri said:

There's a new way of spam, that can't be reported, or there is a way to do it and I don't know how?

The link is down here.

Reveal hidden contents

I could report another one, becase it had a replay, I could report that replay.

It's showing for me with a "Report Entry" button. Did that not appear for you?

On 8/2/2018 at 8:12 PM, Orlok Tsubodai said:

It's showing for me with a "Report Entry" button. Did that not appear for you?

I did`t see anyone, but I'm not quite observant,. I suposed that you couldn´t report a profile, and I did't find it where it usually stays in posts.

Next time I'll search for it carefully (Sorry for my english :unsure:)

Thanks to the three of you!!

It was a blog entry, not a profile.

Edited by Chiri-Chiri

• 2 weeks later...

I've noticed that most of the spambots post URLs as the titles of their threads, so they're easy to spot when you're looking at the most recent posts section in the forums list. I just barely saw something funky in General Brandon, so I just popped on over and shipped off 3 spam threads to the banhammers. If we all just keep an eye on the recent posts, even for forums we don't usually frequent, we shouldn't have a problem keeping the spammers contained.

The mod team is doing an excellent job at keeping the spam down. I decided to check on how fast they were at removing it, so I just reported a couple of spam posts, and--voila!--they lasted less then a minute after I reported them.

Edit: just reported another one and it lasted about 5 seconds. Lol

Edited by Elenion

On 1/15/2018 at 4:53 PM, The Forgetful Archivist said:

Already on it.

Question, will this end with a handful of Sharders facing down an endless army of bots or is there an end to this apocalypse in sight?

Also is it just me or is the rate of spam increasing, it seems like there wasn't this much spam this frequently a few days ago.

Imagine us as Kaladin and the spambots are the endless Parshendi army. It makes reporting spam far more rewarding when I feel like I am surgebinding them into oblivion.

On 2/23/2018 at 10:01 AM, Elenion said:

I've noticed that most of the spambots post URLs as the titles of their threads

I have notiiced this as well, maybe we could just block all posts that have a URL in the title? (I'm not an expert on this or anything) maybe a bot could be made that scans the titles for URLs and then flags them, after that the post is immediately sent over to a moderator for manual review, and then ONLY when a moderator allows it to go through, can it be seen. of course it will result in some poor mod have to sift through ad after ad of manual reviews, but it would be a decent solution until they get creative with the titles.

2 hours ago, Nohadon said:

I have notiiced this as well, maybe we could just block all posts that have a URL in the title? (I'm not an expert on this or anything) maybe a bot could be made that scans the titles for URLs and then flags them, after that the post is immediately sent over to a moderator for manual review, and then ONLY when a moderator allows it to go through, can it be seen. of course it will result in some poor mod have to sift through ad after ad of manual reviews, but it would be a decent solution until they get creative with the titles.

I'm sure some poor mod would rather sift through a bunch of ads in for manual review than have to delete all of the spambot posts and accounts after they've already posted. But maybe we don't even have to go that far: just block all threads with URLs in the title, and have a site rule against putting URLs in titles so that no real users do it.

On 3/3/2018 at 0:30 PM, Elenion said:

I'm sure some poor mod would rather sift through a bunch of ads in for manual review than have to delete all of the spambot posts and accounts after they've already posted. But maybe we don't even have to go that far: just block all threads with URLs in the title, and have a site rule against putting URLs in titles so that no real users do it.

Coding is nontrivial. You'd think it'd be an obvious built-in feature, but it isn't.