Pen Names

GeneralHZRD

Pen Names  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like/use Pen Names?

• Yes
    • No

If you don’t know what a pen name is, it’s when a writer publishes a work under a name other than their own. For example the writer of “The Wheel of Time” Robert Jordan’s real name was James Oliver Rigney Jr. A lot of writers use them, but a lot also don’t. I can’t decide if I want to use one or not, (though I won’t need to decide until I actually get published. :)). 

I’m curious what you all think about them and if any of you use them/plan to use them. If you do use/plan to use them how do you decide what name to use?

I think they're fine; it's up to an individual author if they feel it's necessary or not.

As for me, I sort of used a pen name for my book. I used my first initial and my last name when I self-published my first book. I'll likely keep with that for any others I may publish. I didn't want to use my entire first name because 1. it's long and 2. no one but my mother calls me by it so it's not the 'normal' me. I didn't use a nickname of my first name either because some people know me by one nickname, while others know me by a different one and I didn't want to have to choose which one to use since it would likely confuse people. So I opted for my initial. I liked the anonymity of it since 'E' doesn't allude to either gender.  

• 3 weeks later...

My first name is weird and so I've always gone by my middle name, but I can't imagine it looking cool on the spine of a book (or my last name for that matter) so I based my pen name off of a bunch of inside jokes so my friends will know who I am when I publish (which is way out there).

Edited by Sazedezas
typoes

• 1 month later...

I don't always use them,but when I do It's usually a parody.

For example, when I was writing a parody of dystopian YA stories, I used the pen name "Alex Bearfang" (don't bother looking for it, I haven't ever finished a book I started).

In another work (a parody of crazed far-right fundamentalism made to be intentionally bad and self-contradicting) I used the wonderful pen name "Christian Reagan Eagleson".

Neither of those pen names are even close to my real name.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a huge fan of pen names, though I have no idea why.

And if I ever do publish a book (or finish writing one!) I plan to use a pen name - my name is boring, and incredibly long. Plus, it has a really dumb meaning.

My current pen name plan is to use either Cara or Jennifer Evans. Or something ridiculous like Ajdkkehfu Jgduefva.

I will probably use a pen name if I ever get a book published. They're a marketing tool and a powerful part of a writer's brand image, so they need to be distinctive and match the tone of what you're writing.

Also, it's probably best for me to separate my writing from my work as a musician to stave off confusion.

I have no clue what I would actually use for my pen name though. Probably something involving my middle name in some way.

• 3 weeks later...

I decided a long time ago that if I went with a pen name, it would be Bernard Rice. 

Why Bernard Rice?

When I was in middle school, we had a mini mall project where we had to come up with a product to sell and a business plan and such, then execute it on a day when we would all set up inside the cafeteria and the rest of the school go through all of our booths and browse our wares. I was selling snow cones and mini notepads with our school mascot on them. The snow cones we're popular enough that the reporter for the local paper doing a story on the project decided that my booth was the one he wanted to take a picture of, so he got a couple shots and wrote down my name. 

A few days later, there was my picture in the paper, but not my name. Instead of Trevor, I was Bernard Rice. It was strange and funny enough that I decided it would eventually be my pen name should I decide to use one, given just how far off he was from my real name.

• 2 weeks later...