WOR Tour Scrapbook - Your participation requested!!!!

karaokeang

I got this crazy idea to create a scrapbook documenting the WOR tour for Brandon.  I do a style of scrapbooking called Project Life and I think it would be awesome to create a book for him this tour.  

How it would work:  I would provide the album and all the page protectors and we could have all the fans on tour stops fill out 3x4 inch cards with their thoughts for Brandon and maybe words of thanks for being the awesome writer that he is.  The cards just slip into the pockets and we can also put photos/fanart in it.  I will put decorative elements on the page related to the books too. 

Sample page:
IMG_5122-1.jpg

I think it would be really neat if on the first stop of the tour he started getting some of these cards filled out from fans.  He probably won't know what to do with them.  I will print photos and fan art to include in the book and I am creating ways to gather that content.  Once he gets to Seattle we can give him the album for all those cards he has gathered already and with as many cards as possible already in it.  
At tour stops with 17th Sharders/people participating, they can print out cards or I will send cards to them and hand them out to fans to fill out to give to Brandon when they get their books signed.  I can even make cards ahead of time to send in them in the mail if we coordinate this right.  For those who can't make it to a tour stop but still want to be included, they can fill out a card, scan it and send it back to me and I will print it out and include it in the book.  By the end of the tour, Brandon would have this scrapbook filled with thoughts and thanks from the fans.

I have created a blog with a sample page, more on the idea and cards for download.  Awesomeness Summoned was truly awesome and has already designed cards for people to fill out.

I would also like to create a page with a collage of photos of people with their copies of WOR. 

Check out the blog and let me know if you would like to participate... Oh and if you could, please share this with other Brandon fans.  Thanks!

I'll watch this thread.  If it becomes a thing I suppose I could help by handing them out at the San Diego signing, tho I don't have a very high quality printer.  You'd probably have to send the cards to me if no one else here from San Diego volunteers.

Edited by Talenelat

I can definitely send you cards no problem if you are willing to take on this task.

It is a thing, I am moving forward with the book no matter what.  It may be very Seattle-centric but the book is happening no matter what.  :)  I have already put a ton of time into it and I will scale it down if needed as far as size goes but it is happening.

What will you put on the front of the book? You obviously need a title (something like 'Thank You Brandon Sanderson'). I would suggest that you translate the title into Alethi and the Steel Alphabet, ad put those beneath it. You'll also probably want some artwork.

Some other things that I thought of:

Maybe you ccould put in a CD of people recording their thanks. You might even slip a track of someone singing Shallan's Lullaby in the middle somewhere. Then, of course, you decorate the front of the CD with fun designs.

Also, this is something that might be very difficult. Could you make a little dent in the back of the album and make it look like it's Soulstamped? This would be hard, but cool.

What will you put on the front of the book? You obviously need a title (something like 'Thank You Brandon Sanderson'). I would suggest that you translate the title into Alethi and the Steel Alphabet, ad put those beneath it. You'll also probably want some artwork.

Maybe you ccould put in a CD of people recording their thanks. You might even slip a track of someone singing Shallan's Lullaby in the middle somewhere. Then, of course, you decorate the front of the CD with fun designs.

Also, this is something that might be very difficult. Could you make a little dent in the back of the album and make it look like it's Soulstamped? This would be hard, but cool.

Artwork, well someone could try ask Ex makina and Botanica in this departament both are nice girls( and awesome artists) I think that they could provide something give little time if one asked in the right way =) 

These are all great ideas and could be incorporated into the album. I do not have the time or the skill to make a CD but if someone was willing to do it, I would totally put the CD in.

As far as the front, I hadn't decided on a title yet. The album I am thinking of using is plain chipboard so I can paint it whatever color I would like and it is easily modified it. Here is an example of another album I did for documenting my family's christmas. I think I could manage a debossed soulstamp which is a great idea.

As far as the title in Alethi goes, I am not a graphic designer and I haven't had enough time to play with Isaac's Alethi font. If someone (hint, hint) wanted to provide me with a SVG or PNG file of Words of Radiance in Alethi, I do have an electronic die cutter and could make a cut out of the title for the album front.

Please keep the ideas coming, it will only make the album cooler.

I have asked Botanica if I could use her artwork and she said yes!!! So excited.

I'll be at the Houston Signing so I can have cards to pass out for that one.

OMG!! Thanks Awesomeness!  Too cool!

Edited by karaokeang

Wow I didn't expect this to take off so fast, I love this place, you guys are great!  So then yeah I'll definitely do my part by handing out cards in San Diego.  PM sent to you with my address.

Ideally I'd like to ask if I or the store owner can make an announcement at the beginning so that everyone hears it.  You do realize, however, that if it's anything like the last signing of his I was at in that store there will probably be about 300 or more people there.  I don't know how many will choose to participate, but that scrapbook is gonna need to be pretty big by the time all the signings are over!

This is a really cool idea :)

I don't think there is much I can do to help sadly, I'm in Australia and my graphical capabilities are...poor.

I don't have a scanner, but I could type up something in steel alphabet and stick it on a page, hrm, I will have to think what to type :)

This is a really cool idea :)

I don't think there is much I can do to help sadly, I'm in Australia and my graphical capabilities are...poor.

I don't have a scanner, but I could type up something in steel alphabet and stick it on a page, hrm, I will have to think what to type :)

Oh but you can help by filling out a card.  Go to the website, print out a card and put your thoughts, a drawing or maybe even a ketek on it.  Scan it and send it back to me and I will include it in the album.  You can also help by spreading the word to reach as many fans as possible!

I am not really worried about album size at this point.  A small album for 6" x 8" page protectors will hold approximately 400 3x4 cards if you stuff it to the the gills.  A large album (12"x12") will hold 960 cards with a 50% mix between 4x6 and 3x4 sizes.  If the majority is 3x4 size, it will hold almost double that.  So we can gather a ton of cards.  It is more constrained by my budget for this project than anything else and I have committed to the cost of a large album supply-wise.

Oh but you can help by filling out a card.  Go to the website, print out a card and put your thoughts, a drawing or maybe even a ketek on it.  Scan it and send it back to me and I will include it in the album.  You can also help by spreading the word to reach as many fans as possible!

"I don't have a scanner" ;)

As I noted, I'll put something together digitally using my steel alphabet font :) (maybe a ketek in steel alphabet, heh).

I will also let people know who might want to join in.

"I don't have a scanner" ;)

As I noted, I'll put something together digitally using my steel alphabet font :) (maybe a ketek in steel alphabet, heh).

I will also let people know who might want to join in.

Doh.. I missed that part about the scanner.  Something in the steel alphabet font will be awesome!  Make sure to include your name on the card!

Keteks* are, indeed, a wonderful idea! Any other in-world artifacts we can come up with? Aons superimposed on the map of Arelon? An Epic's portfolio / dossier, similar to the ones released with certain versions of Steelheart**? Go find a glassblower (?) and commission them to create a set of spheres (for non-commercial purposes only) with colored glass instead of gems inside?

* English really ruins the beauty - the symmetry - of this word in plural...

** Speaking of which, I still haven't seen any of those. Anyone got a handy link?

I was thinking about how you would make spheres, too. I didn't really come up with anything inexpensive. In the Seattle signing thread, I actually came up with a bunch of ideas. Inworld ones are harder to come up with, but there are a couple. Mistborn cloaks, for example. They wouldn't be too hard. I know that someone made a Soulcaster, but that would probably be difficult to do. I already mentioned Soulstamped objects. Does anyone want to try making a spanreed?

I am still looking for people to distribute cards at many of the signings.  We currently have Seattle, San Diego and Houston covered.  There is no cost to you and you don't have to stay for the whole signing.  Just distribute the cards to fans and explain what we are doing and that is it.  I will provide the cards and ship them to you.  Let me know if you can do it.  Thanks!

ETA:  

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 /  Provo, UT (midnight signing)
12am
BYU Bookstore

Tour Archivist - Kelly N.

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 / San Diego, CA
7pm
Mysterious Galaxy
Tour Archivist - Talenelat

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 / Huntington Beach, CA
7pm
Barnes & Noble #2743

Thursday, March 6, 2014 / San Francisco, CA
12:30pm
Copperfield’s Books – San Raphael
 Tour Archivist - Karin

6pm
Borderlands Books
Tour Archivist - Bartbug

Friday, March 7, 2014 / Portland, OR
7pm
Powell’s City of Books

Saturday, March 8,  2014 / Seattle, WA
12:00pm
University Bookstore
Tour Archivist - Me - Angie V 

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 / Houston, TX
6:30pm
Murder by the Book
Tour Archivist - Awesomeness Summoned

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 / Salt Lake City
6:30pm
The Literacy Promise (educator conference – speaker)

Thursday, March 13, 2014 / Omaha, NE
7:00pm
Barnes & Noble #2662

Friday, March 14, 2014 / Phoenix, AZ
7pm
The Poisoned Pen

Saturday March 15, 2014 / Tucson, AZ
Tucson Book Festival
11-11:30am Signing
Integrated Learning Center – Sales & Signing Area #4

3:30-4pm Signing
Integrated Learning Center – Sales & Signing Area #4

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 / Lexington, KY
7pm
Joseph-Beth Booksellers

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 / Dayton, OH
7pm
Books & Company

Tour Archivist - old aggie

Thursday, March 20, 2014 / Washington, DC
7pm
Barnes & Noble #2238

Friday, March 21, 2014 / Philadelphia, PA
7pm
Towne Book Center & Café
 Tour Archivist - Lexie 

Saturday, March 22, 2014 / Chicago, IL / Milwaukee, WI
2pm
Barnes & Noble #2622
Tour Archivist - Argent

7pm
Boswell Book Company

Edited by karaokeang

Mysty that would be great.  I really, really don't want to drive down to Portland to cover that event and then drive back to Seattle for the noon signing.  My husband is already suspicious that I am going to leave him for Brandon and this would probably be the straw that breaks the camel's back.  B)