Roshone's Leg

Azul

Noticed this on my latest re read of WoK and its been driving me nuts, I searched but couldn't find it if had been discussed before, so if it has I apologize.  

In ch 44 Kaladin mentions that Roshone has a peg leg 

He wore a wooden peg on his right stump, hidden by the cuff of his trouser,

but in ch 41 we see its Rillir who's leg was almost torn off

An evil-looking, tusklike thing jutted from the young man’s abdomen, and his lower right leg was crushed. It hung by only a few tendons, splinters of bone poking out like reeds from the waters of a pond

Kaladin even mentions it would need amputation 

Kaladin grabbed a sponge, dunked it in the bucket, and used it to squeeze water into Rillir’s gut wound. That washed away the blood, giving Lirin a good look at the damage. He quested with his fingers as Kaladin got some needle and thread ready. There was already a tourniquet on the leg. Full amputation would come later.

Roshone had a tusk in his leg near his femoral artery, which Lirin removed along with the splinters from it then stitched up the wound and he was then sent home to be cared for by his servants.

So when and why was Roshone's leg amputated?  Or was this just a little mistake that has been overlooked?

I haven't gotten to that part on my relisten through WoK, but is it possible that Roshone's peg leg was from a previous injury? I know some people with fake legs are really good at covering things up and it can be awhile before anyone catches them. Perhaps with his sons death he stopped bothering to conceal it? Perhaps Roshone refused to have Lirin look at the leg for post care and it got infected and someone had to end up amputating? Perhaps it was a slip up by Brandon? 

When Roshone first appears he is wearing a takama so covering it up seems unlikely.   I did tweet Peter about it and he said infection set in. Stills feels very odd since infection is very obvious thanks to rotspren.

Edited by Azul

Just now, Azul said:

When Roshone first appears he is wearing a takama so covering it up seems unlikely.   I did tweet Peter about it and he said infection set in. Stills feels very odd.

We see nothing between the surgery and years(?) later when has the peg leg. Post surgery after trauma and the loss of his son it would be easy to neglect the wound. Combine this with his attitude towards Lirin, and it's really not that surprising. Even if it was a writing mistake, it makes more than enough sense. 

I agree it is plausible,  we know its been roughly half a year between the injury and the draft for Amaram's army.  and that Roshone has been very reclusive durning that time.   But it still feels a bit off :)

Maybe i'm just annoyed at myself that i've read WoK at least 8 times now and this is the first time it really caught my attention.

Edited by Azul

• Chaos locked this topic