A new shard?

Sherwin94

I chanced upon this on tumblr that contained a segment of an interview Brandon did in Bulgaria last month and during one of the questions, the interviewer asked " If you are entrusted with a shard of Adonalsium, which shard?" and Brandon replied "maybe Ingenuity" which is not one of the 10 shards currently known to us. I'm not sure if he was just saying a quality that would suit himself or he accidentally/intentionally released a new shard name. The link to the video and tumblr is: http://imaginarycosmere.tumblr.com/ & https://www.facebook.com/Ozone.bg/videos/10155148570203320/ (the question is asked around 16:15)

What do you guys think? new shard or not? and cheers :lol:

I've seen this one before. There was another one a couple years back where Brandon said that a hypothetical Shard for Alcatraz would be Deception.

I don't think it's a definite Shard. Brandon has been very careful with the information he's given out; I don't think he'd slip up like that. My interpretation was like you put it above; that Brandon came up with a new Shard on the spot that matched his personality.

Also of note, the Sixteen Shards aren't set in stone in Brandon's mind. The ones he hasn't canonized, he reserves the right to switch up if he comes up with better ideas. So, it's possible, conceptually, for there to be more than sixteen Shards, from an out-of-universe perspective. It's not like a Dungeons and Dragons alignment chart, where there are nine slots that define all of morality. Adonalsium could have split to produce something like Ingenuity, but it doesn't mean that he did.

So, not saying it's impossible. But I don't think that's where Brandon was going with it. I wouldn't use this as a proof text for Ingenuity as a Shard.

Edited by Pagerunner

It does sound too good to be true, but that really sounds like what he is saying. He was asked for a shard, and he gave one. It didn't sound ambiguous at all. 

It certainly isn't one I have predicted, but I suppose there isn't a good reason it couldn't be. 

You could see it as a characteristic of God, like the other shards are.

Or, you could see it as a characteristic of Civilization, like the other shards are. 

Further, it would sound like Brandon to give some earth shaking fact, in some place people don't normally think of.

It is surprising, but I don't see a good reason to completely dismiss it. Perhaps we should get some clarification from Peter. 

(I sent him a tweet. We will see if he replies)

Edit: Peter replies That is news to me! Maybe @IzykStewart can ask him.

Edited by ZenBossanova

I love everything about this. The possible WoB, the find and the RoB (Response of Brandon). I agree it's not for sure but it's reasonably compelling. And I think it's very fitting, Ingenuity makes sense for creation, innovation, intellectual flexibility, controlled change to a purpose and design. I like it a lot.

I just about started another post, but this is a fine place to discuss, just what should we expect from this shard? What kind of a magic system would it have? 

The organization I had for the shards, put Ingenuity with the quadrant with Ambition, Cultivation & one I called Transcendence. Its other quadrant would be Ambition, Endowment, and one I called Sight. That seemed to be the most natural place for it, since it appears to be involved in a kind of cognitive creation and change. 

What do you expect to see about this shard? Are there any hints of this in books? 

5 hours ago, Figberts said:

I feel like Brandon is watching these posts and laughing evilly as we wander ever farther in the wrong direction...

Yes, oh, yes. Now, I am making myself paranoid that I am leading everyone astray, and Brandon is just having a really good joke. It isn't like he is above that! 

1 minute ago, ZenBossanova said:

That seemed to be the most natural place for it,

Since I'm still a proponent for a Shard of Wisdom, I'd put Ingenuity in the same set as it. For the purpose of fitting in with your idea, how similar would Wisdom be to either your Sight or Transcendence?

3 minutes ago, ZenBossanova said:

just what should we expect from this shard? What kind of a magic system would it have?

Following the premise that the Shards influence the world they inhabit towards their Intent, it should create a world filled with clever people. Ramifications of cleverness on the magic system seems contrived, since the higher tiers of every magic system needs a smart/clever individual to crack the secrets. Perhaps even the basic aspects of the magic are highly complex?
Actually... the magic system might be so simple that it hurts, to keep the clever from acting too high and mighty. Brandon might even pull an inverse between being clever and having imagination. It'd be less well defined than his other works, but a lack of hard limits will wreak havoc on a mind trying to find the best things. Just look at how insane we have gone trying to parse through the unknowns in his well defined systems :P

15 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

Since I'm still a proponent for a Shard of Wisdom, I'd put Ingenuity in the same set as it. For the purpose of fitting in with your idea, how similar would Wisdom be to either your Sight or Transcendence?

Sight would be God's kind of sight, and sensing - The All-Seeing Eye. Transcendence overcomes, and changes things, bringing them to a whole new level. That makes it related to Cultivation, and a bit to Ruin. If I had to guess, I would use Wisdom as a alternate name for the Cognitive quadrant. 

22 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

Actually... the magic system might be so simple that it hurts

This is really a good idea. You can get really complex behavior with very simple things. You can be pure unpredictable chaos with very simple rules. So, a magic system with a few simple rules, that can be used and applied in a million different ways. You bring the ingenuity in how to apply it. 

1 hour ago, ZenBossanova said:

Sight would be God's kind of sight, and sensing - The All-Seeing Eye. Transcendence overcomes, and changes things, bringing them to a whole new level. That makes it related to Cultivation, and a bit to Ruin. If I had to guess, I would use Wisdom as a alternate name for the Cognitive quadrant. 

That kind of sight, to me, is something that all Shards seem to have to some extent, similar to power and such. I couldn't see it being a Shard if it's already exhibited in most of the others. Transcendence I could possibly see as the quadrant that includes Cultivation and Ruin, because like you said, it exhibits both of their Intents with a bigger motive. 

Oh, I forgot to update you guys. I asked about this, and I've got bad news - Brandon has put a few extra points in Uncanny Dodge, his replies are getting even shiftier than before:

So, my money is still on Ingenuity being unconfirmed and non-canon.

On 4/23/2017 at 8:02 PM, Argent said:

Oh, I forgot to update you guys. I asked about this, and I've got bad news - Brandon has put a few extra points in Uncanny Dodge, his replies are getting even shiftier than before:

So, my money is still on Ingenuity being unconfirmed and non-canon.

I keep it unconfirmed in discussion, but this is definitely my headcanon now. Seems like a slip up, I feel like he would have clarified.

• Chaos locked this topic