2017-03-24/25: Germany - Leipzig Book Fair [Minor Cosmere Spoilers]

Pattern

Brandon was at the Leipzig book fair on Friday, March 24th and Saturday 25th.

There were three readings, three Q & A and four signings, which gave us some opportunities for interesting questions, and we got some meaty WoBs.
All announced transcriptions are there now. Big thanks to all of you who went to the signing lines and asked those interesting questions, and special thanks to @She Who Cannot Be Named and @mr42 for transcribing!

Reading Leipzig Friday, 24.3.2017 - Schille Theater - Signings (transcribed by @She Who Cannot Be Named)

Spoiler

Q: (indistinct, about Hoid and the black Seon)
A: Yes, the Skaze.
Q: What's the Seon's name?
A: Well, it's one of the Skaze. And I haven't... So... I have a name in my notes, but I haven't decided if I want to canonise it yet. RAFO

Q: I know that in Dragonsteel there's a lot about Hoid.
A: Yes.
Q: Do you have any guess when you will revision(?) Dragonsteel?
A: Yeah... My plan is right now to finish Stormlight, then do Dragonsteel, then do the last Mistborns. So it's kind of far away.

Q: Will there be preferably any books which play on Yolen?
A: Yeah, the Dragonsteel books will be on Yolen. And it's possible that Yolen will be involved later on

Q: I was wondering: Stormlight doesn't cross walls, because people put their spheres outside. But it crosses the glass of the spheres. Is that material dependent or...
A: It's thickness dependent. In the third book there's actually a little place where it's mentioned. Some people put it right inside a little, kind of thin rock portion and the Stormlight can still reach it. So I did that quite intentionally.

Q: I was wondering if the Chasmfiends have... like their own Gemhearts...
Q: It's probably not a coincidence that emeralds can hold most of the Stormlight. So do Chasmfiends take energy from Stormlight? The constiply it with eating so...
A: Yes Yes. It is actually most beneficial during their metamorphisis, the chrysalis is not as big as they get. They depend on the Stormlight and they depend on the Spren that they are bonded to to keep them from crushing themselves. Chasmfiends couldn't exist offworld for multiple reasons.
Q: I'm guessing that for Chasmfiends the absorption of Stormlight must be different due to the thickness (...)
A: Good, well done.

Q: How would - just really generally - the Ghostbloods react if they found or met Hoid?
A: (laughs) They... Some people among them know of him.
Q: So they know he's around.
A: Some of them do, not everybody. But they are aware of his existence. At least in (lore?), they don't always... Not all of them have connected the King's Wit to this person's lore. So what would they do? They'd probably want to get him and interrogate him. They would like to know what he knows. But he is really slippery and it's hard to get out of him what he knows.

Q: I'm looking for a Nightblood drawing for a tattoo.
A: We don't have any official artwork. Ben may have made some sketches of his own.

Q: The Division Surge: does it actually split atoms or does it split the bonds of molecules?
A: It splits the bonds of molecules, it does not split atoms.
Q: That would be completely overpowered.
A: I have done an atom splitting magic originally in Dragonsteel. And wooow it was overpowered. So really, this is fiddeling... You'll see what it does when I use it, but we'll not be splitting atoms. There won't be nuclear reactors, nuclear fission, so.

Q: Another “physics” question: We have the Surges of Cohesion and Tension. And I'm really not sure what the difference is in that.
A: You'll see when I do this. It's a RAFO. And I play with them anyway a little differently in each order anyway. So what they do with them... I'll let you figure it out.
Q: It's just like when you enhance the tension of a water surface... (..)
A: Surface tension is what you're talking about. I'm gonna RAFO. But you're theorizing in the right direction.

Q: Would it actually be enough to get to Silverlight University for an application or do you need to...
A: Oh no lots of people live there. It would not just be enough to get there. There are actually people in the city. It's a fully functional city.

Q: And there's one last question from me: I'm really into swords and such. I couldn't help but notice king Elhokar's Blade. It's just... All the others are ornamented, and they may have some glyphs, but it is the only one where it is explicitly told that there are ten fundamental glyphs on it which are the glyphs of the orders. (Spoilers for Unfettered II / Oathbringer)    

Spoiler

I read some of the chapters from Dalinar in Unfettered II, and I know how he got it for Elhokar. 

Is there also some more backstory to this Blade?
A: There's a backstory to every Blade and everyone is special. That's the problem. But I will be exploring  the origins of some of the Blades. Eventually. Not a ton, but a little bit.

Q: As it is ornamented in such a way... Could it be related to a Bondsmith?
A: Bondsmith's didn't have Blades.
Q: All of them? It's just... Maybe it was just the Stormfather...
A: No. That's a really good guess. Really good guess. I'm gonna RAFO Bondsmiths because you gonna learn a lot about them in the next book because it's the Bondsmith's book. That's a really good theory, but it's not true. But there's a reason to it, why it has all the 10 orders.

Q:Is Endowment agreeable with the Nalthesian using her gift to feed the Returned?
Q: What with the deaths of Denth, Shashara and Arsteel - I can't see them giving their Divine Breath away. Isn't this the reason why they return?
A:Yes. Yes. RAFO. (excellent question)

Q: Would there be a new effect if an Allomancer burned the metal of Paalm's spike?
A: RAFO. (excellent question)

Q: Did the Shattering of Adonalsium have a chance of a breakdown of the magic system on the planet of it's creation?
A: There was an effect. Breakdown might not be the exact right phrase, but it could fit.

Q:At the end of “Alloy of Law” Marsh tells Marasi he is giving the diary to Wax because “.. he does my brother's work”. At this time it was a reminder of Kelsier, but with Secret History and the third book out out:

Spoiler

Why does Marsh think we need someone to do his brother's work? Isn't Kelsier doing that himself?

A: Well. (laughs) Marsh is of multiple minds on what's happening with Kelsier at this time. When he's referencing his brother's work, he specifically tells Marasi speaking through the lore of the Survivor. Like he's specifically talking to somebody and he does believe this.

Spoiler

He may not think that Kelsier is doing Kelsier's work anymore. But that depends on... You will see interaction between Marsh and Kelsier in the future.

Saturday morning: Q+A during the event and signing afterwards (no writing tipps) (transcribed by @She Who Cannot Be Named)

Spoiler

Q: The visions Dalinar gets in WoK always struck me as odd - you don't just look at the past, you are able to act within this experience. Now we know that Gavilar was also on the way to being a Bondsmith - was he acting in a different way? Were the visions only basically the same but different in the end depending on the personal reactions? Is this something like a test?
A: He did see the same visions. They were the same thing. But... I will say that his reaction to them were very different from Dalinar's reactions to them. Anyway it was difficult for the Stormfather without a bond to determine/to tell the difference between very easily. When Spren are bonded, they gain a lot more ability to understand the world around then, so you'll find out soon more stuff about this in the third book.

Q: Question about humor in books
B: Says somethin along really liking bad word puns

Q: I think I am one of the few people who really like Elhokar. He's a king who actually asks a lowly Darkeyes two times how to be a good ruler. What's your opinion on him?
A: I think Elhokar is maligned by a lot of people. He was put in a hard situation, inheriting from a really great king and having a really domineering uncle. He is a little arrogant, a little full of himself, but thats natural for his position. And I am very fond of Elhokar.

Q: You recently compared the Aon Dor to a programming language of some sorts. Could you actually go one step further and build something like a curcuit board? (Like Redstone in Minecraft)
A: The difficultiy with all of that is that you have got to remember that the magic as they understand it right now only works based on Elantrian intention and activation. There were basically these sorts of things, but the switch has to be flipped by an Elantrian. Thoase things existed in Elantris.
Q: It's just that I think that Elantris itself could be some sort of a really big circuit board.
A: That may be a little too far for what Elantris is, but there are places in Elantris which are just what you are describing.

Q: Could you spike a Hordling?
A: Yes. Spike means getting something out, Spike means get(ting?) something in? I think that both is viable. I think you can, yeah.
Q: If you would spike something in, would the whole Aimian get maybe an Allomantic ability?
A: Mostly, this would probably change the Hordling. And they may lose contact to it. It could fiddle with the connection to the point that they can no longer link. That's gonna be my answer right now, that spiking a Hordling would separate it from the group mind.

Q: Who's Senna?
A: RAFO.

Q: When Adolin snapped, I noticed your wording. Those... The term snapping...
A: No. Good question. He did not gain Allomantic abilities.
Q: Well - Spren bonding abilities...?
A: Well no. That was not used magically.

Q: Glys, Renarin's Spren, is he a Cultivation Spren?
Q: Could you say that he is equally bonded to a different entitiy/to a different Shard like Sylphrena is bonded to Honor?
A: You're asking... Is his like the windspren?
Q: I mean allegion to his aspect.
A: Are you still talking about Glys?
Q: Yes. Sylphrena is like 100% of Honor. Is Glys like 100% anything?

Q: We've been wondering how to exactly pronounce Sazed.
A: Inworld people say both. Kelsier says Say-zed, Sazed says something like Sayzed. (Sorry, I have no idea how to transcribe it ^^ Kelsier's intonation is more on the second syllable, whereas Sazed himself says it more in a slur?)

Q: About the character he enjoys writing the most
A: probably Wayne

Q: How did you come up with the idea of evil librarians?
A: Because I thought it was so funny. I picked the thing I thought was the most ridicilous. They are super crazy. That's the goal. Just do something very different.

Q: You have this technical approach to Allomantic powers. But Feruchemy seems to me very different. So it's not very logical that you can store up health. What is health?
A: Well. I feel that it is. But it has its' own definitions. In the Cosmere perception - I don't know if you know...
Q: Yeah.
A: ... it really affects... It's kind of more like a concept of heallth. The idea of your body's ability to recuperate quickly. The magic system translates to your body's ability to match your spiritual self. When that is depleted, your body in the Cosmere starts to stray (? a bit indistinctive in the recording). Foreign things can get into it, diseases get into you, and your spirit can get a little more corrupted. Your body getting corrupted, your spirit's not getting corrupted. You get it, and it makes you extra connected to your spiritual sense. Your body moves to match it closely and better.
Q: So the same about speed and ...
A: Those are a little different. But each has their little behind the scenes explanation for myself. The problem is... The physics of it is very Cosmere-physics for Feruchemy, whereas for Allomancy it's a lot more out world physics with a different power source. We're changing that. But the physics do work for me. But obviously it's magic, so I'm breaking them anyway.

Q: And how does Copper compounding work? Memories can't really get (indistinct...)
A: Let's just say that some sorts of compounding are more effective than others.

Q: You said that there were some things in the Cosmere that happened accidentally. What was one of them?
A: Shard pools is a good example. So when I started writing Elantris I knew I would have these concentrations of power. But I didn't know how I'm going to use them exactly. Like what's the connection... This was way at the beginning. By the time I had Mistborn, I knew all this. I knew I had a well of power there. What does it do? Shardpools are a good example of writing into the story and figuring out how the magic works bei actually playing with it.

Sixth of the Dusk: he's planning a sequel and he has an outline

SPOILER SECRET HISTORY

Spoiler

Q: Do you have any plans on showing what's happened to Kelsier after Secret History?
A: I do have plans. I cannot guarantee it, it's a side project, but I do have plans.

About next season of Writing Excuses: next year should be about characters and after that world-building

Q: Would Kelsier approve of what Taravangian is doing?
A: No. He would not. He would understand it, but he would disapprove.

Q: Will we see any more of David and Megan in the future?
A: It is likely that you will. If I write another book directly following, it will be about Mizzy. So she would be the main viewpoint character, and you would see the others in relation but it would be her story.

Q: In the later eras of Scadrial, will there be Metal music and will Hoid like it?
A: Yes and yes. I am planning a protagonist who's a metalhead for a book, not a Cosmere book. We'll see if I ever get around to doing that.

Q: There's a scene where you can see from the perspective of Nan Balat, Shallan's brother, where he's maiming an insect. It's described as soothing his aches. Is that in any way related to how Kaladin feels depressed and down during the Weeping even in his early childhood?
A: What's happening to Nan Balat is magically enhanced. What's happening to Kaladin is mostly just chemical depression. Be he is really too young to be diagnosed with depression during some of these events, but he's got the seeds in there. So Kaladin is not magically depressed. Kaladin is just legitimatly a person with depression. Nan Balat... What's up with him is... ah... being exaggerated by certain forces moving in on Roshar. (last bit is a bit indistinctive)

Q: (...) like Hoid saying he got his life as words on a page.
A: It can be taken both ways, but it is actually literal. I'm not sure how much I can say about this, but... Let's say that it's referencing where he got his nickname/pseudonym.

Q: I thought he maybe stole a character from a book and (hid himself? indistinctive...)
A: It is something like that. People think it's like a big wink breaking the 4th wall, but at the time I was just looking back at his past and wanted something I could say that is esoteric and referenced his past.

Oathbringer is at 520.000 words right now

Q:In Warbreaker: the magic system is really visual, and when heightened people are around, the colours get really saturated and I was wondering about blind people or colour blind people. How can they percieve the effects of Investiture?
A: Their minds would interpret it in a way that works for them. Their brain would come up with some way to interpret the sensory they're getting. And so the colour blind... The colours are still going to saturate, but saturate in a way that they can tell. Not being colour blind it is really hard for me to describe. But I read about it, and at least that's the rule I have for myself in the head. For an actual blind person this is going to be a magic system that's harder to use. Just having a disability, unfortunatly. But it also gives perfect pitch, and I think that partially their auditory senses would compensate to a degree, but it's going to be a harder magic system to use. I'm sure they could find a way to work around it.

Saturday afternoon: (transcribed by @mr42)

Spoiler

Q: Could non-Scadrians use Southern Scadrian Amulets?
A: Yes, they could.
Q: And could Drabs?
A: Yeah, Drabs could. They're missing a little bit of something else, going there eventually, but they could make those work.

Q: Hoid was once offered a Shard, but he refused it, right?
Q: Was it right after the Shattering?
A: Yes. It was during the events. I wouldn't necessarily say "right after", it was during this process. I would say this is a RAFO before I finish writing at that time. (Not sure if I understood the last sentence right, but I think that's what he said)
Q: And who took this Shard instead?
A: That's a RAFO.

Q: Odium has, as far as I understand it, something like the meaning of God's devine wrath. HHow is wrath on its own able to cause such terrible destruction? He primarily attacked (not counting him in) dishardic worlds (Sel, Roshar). Could he have sowed discord between the Shards there to an extent of them fighting against each other?
A: That is a good theory. That he got them to fighting each other. I won't tell you wether it happened or not, but it is a very well theory. It's fully within his capacity. That's a sort of thing that he does.

Q: One race on Yolen are dragons with the ability to shift. Now I'm positivly sure  that we haven't seen a dragon in his "dragon form" yet.
A: Right.
Q: How about their human form? And would it be possible to actually recognize their human form?
A: You have very likely seen...yes, you have seen a letter from a dragon....There are some that are off world, so you might have seen them. I won't tell you for sure, but you would not recognize them.

Q: What happened to Ien, Raodens Seon?
A: So, ehm...still around. But suffered some effects of what happened in the books. But still around. I'm trying not to give spoilers, but when I go back to the series I do attempt to answer that question.

Q: Will there be a major part in the story for the Sleepless?
A: Yes, but much later on.
Q: What means later on?
A: Well, they have a major role in the science fiction Mistborn trilogy, but that's pretty far off. So they will be very important very much later on.

Q: Do you think that if Ashe had seen Ien in Elantris while he was there...Do you think he would have recognized him?

Q: The placement of Taldain, the solar system, was it done by someone?
A: So...Taldain, yes.
Q: Has it to do with the travel in the Cognitive Realm?
A: Not 100%. That's a side effect

Q: The people in the Central Dominance speak a sort of French accent. Is that still the case in the Wax&Wayne era?
A: It has mostly changed. I mean there are still some French regions, but there are some Germanic regions also and things. It is no longer just the same positioning, it's more kind of, well, like your family heritage and things like that.

Q: Does creating unsealed metalmind involve Feruchemical duralumin?
A: (hesitating)...Yes. I will write it all out for you eventually. I want to get at least one more book done, then you find out exactly why and how.
Q: Because I was pretty confused about the Investiture and Spiritweb...
A: Here is the reason I'm kind of hesitant of this, [why not you just RAFO this one right now], but it is not a RAFO, because it is like it's a secret. I want to write it out exactly how it happens, because I have it in my notes in bullet points and it's complicated, right? Cause I want some of the things in the magic system as be as complicated as for instance explaining how a computer works right now. You can do it, but you know...I want the magic to start getting that technical if that makes sense. When you say "involve", right, that's a big word. Why just don't you let me, after lost metal...if I haven't released it, you have permission to come to me and say: "Brandon, you said you would release this, you haven't yet [...]" and I will give to you the bullet point flowchart of how you build the unkeyed metalminds.

Q: Are all Hordelings Cremlings and vise versa?
A: Cremling is a synonym in Roshar for both, insect and small crustation, right? And so you would see one and you would see that's a little crayfish. Cremling is not an exact term if that makes sense. It's like bug. The word "bug" people can use to mean a lot of different things.[...] So, yes, they look like Cremlings, because they've been bred to look like Cremlings, so they will not be noticed on Roshar, but there are Hordelings that do not look like Cremlings. But they would still be called a Cremling by the people on Roshar. The occasional people (?) used the word insect, 'cause that word does exist on Roshar. Usually make refers to like little flying bugs that you only find in the very far west of Roshar near the mountains, but yeah.

Edited by Pattern
Finished

I am quite sure he will read in English, otherwise it would be a reading from a translated book. That would be much less interesting than a reading from Oathbringer or perhaps Snapshot. But that could be only me, thirsting for more snippets from Oathbringer.

Edited by Pattern
removed redundance with later post

• 2 weeks later...

I won't make it either. Approximately 7 hours by train or 5 hours by car and a dog to care for at that weekend is too much...

@mr42: audio recording would be well enough. You can ask Brandon whether you can leave your recording device at his desk. Usually he answers with Yes, though it might be that you are asked to leave out sections, where he told more than should become public. In Poland he is said to have been quite talkative... If you don't know any questions to ask, we could do some brainstorming for interesting questions. Brandon: "Any questions?" Fan: "No" always hurts ;-)

I just have my mobile phone as recording device. Hope it will be enough. And yeah, I read about Poland :D

I have a list of questions, but we could brainstorm anyway. Some of them might already been answered and I just didn't find the WoB

Ok, here some questions I wanted to ask Brandon if I got the chance. I will add more, if possible, until Saturday.

1.) Do Parshendi differentiate between the terms "gemstone" and "gemheart"?

2.) Would a Southern Medallion also work on non-Scadrians (other than Hoid)?

3.) Iron and steel are chemically very similar. Where would be the threshold where carbonized iron is considered as "dirty" iron, making a lurcher sick when burned or as a bad steel alloy, making a coinshot sick? Could it be burned by both?

2 hours ago, Pattern said:

2.) Would a Southern Medallion also work on non-Scadrians (other than Hoid)?

I think there is a WoB that Rosharians could use Southern Medallions, but I'm not sure. Anyways I wanted to ask if Drabs could use them, so I could just expand this question.

More questions:

Could you control other people to some extend by Awakening?

Is there a Shardpool in the Purelake (or Origin)?

Could you spike nonhumans (Hordelings)?

Are all vessels human?

Hoid was once offered a Shard but he refused it. Was it right after the Shattering? Who took this Shard instead? (Pretty sure it will be a RAFO:D)

The following is rather a small piece of a bigger question: Could a Feruchemist store Investiture of all abilities in one Nicrosilmind?

Is Tashi Talenel? (Pretty sure he is, but looking for confirmation)

Did Nale really talk to Ishar about the Knight Radiants return or was it Odiums manipulation?

Who is Senna?

There are a few other questions e.g. about the glowing liquid the Ire have to drink and about the nonstable Perpendicularities on Threnody, but I'll have to see how many questions I can ask :D

1 hour ago, mr42 said:

Is there a Shardpool in the Purelake (or Origin)?

I would use the term "Perpendicularity" here.

1 hour ago, mr42 said:

We know (?) that animals can be spiked, so strictly speaking - yes.

1 hour ago, mr42 said:

Are all vessels human?

1 hour ago, Samaldin said:

I think we already know that not all Vessels are human, at least one of them is a dragon (many people guess Bavadin is a Dragon)

Do we know that at least one of them is a dragon? We know Frost is, but he is also not a Vessel. And I think we got RAFO'd on whether all Vessels were humans.

1 hour ago, mr42 said:

Who is Senna?

I think you misspelled "Can I please have a RAFO" here.

1 hour ago, mr42 said:

I don't think he's ever been asked about hordelings specifically, but we do know that it is possible to spike non-humans.

OUTIS

Given that Investiture is Investiture, would there be potential Investiture of like, kandra to Parshendi using Hemalurgic spikes?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Hemalurgic spikes can be used on any planet.

OUTIS

Would it be potential for Parshendi to develop a form using the spikes?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Wow, that would be a really weird hack of the magic system that would be theoretically possible. But that's a really weird one. I had never even considered that one. Parshendi adopting other Investiture could happen, the spikes is not one I've considered.

source

And there's a brand new WoB as well:

Q: Can spren be pierced by hemalurgic spikes? Will it give some effect?

A: Yes. A spren can be pierced by invested metal…

Q: Could it be spiked?

A: Could a spike be used to give abilities to spren? It’s not going to work really well.

Q: Could you steal from a spren?

A: Yes you could steal the investiture of a spren. Any investiture can be used in a spike if you know what you’re doing. It’s actually not that hard to use one on a spren.

Q: Because I thought you said hemalurgy needs moving blood.

A: It needs, uh, yeah…there are places where spren have more physical form, more tangible form.

Q: The Cognitive Realm?

A: Yeah if you go to the Cognitive Realm on Roshar the spren act differently.

Q: So you could spike in the cognitive realm?

A: Yeah I’ll leave a RAFO with you on that. That’s your fifth one. So there are ways to get any investiture into hemalurgy if you know what you’re doing. But yeah this is not something that would be a common use for hemalurgy. Let’s just say that.

Q: We do not concern ourselves with common uses.

A: Yeah I know you don’t. But yeah hemalurgy, when you’re spiking into somebody you…you’ll see when we get around to it.

source

So, in short, I'd be amazed if you couldn't.

Edit: because I didn't see @Argent's response before posting. I don't think we know whether any of the Vessels were a dragon or not, however, we do know that not all were human.

QUESTION

Was Bavadin nonhuman?

BRANDON SANDERSON

RAFO. There is at least one Shard who wasn't human, but I'm not ready to reveal who was or wasn't just yet.

source

And as there are only three intelligent species on Yolen, it does seem like a good bet.

Edited by BlackYeti

7 minutes ago, Argent said:

I would use the term "Perpendicularity" here.

Good point!

8 minutes ago, Argent said:

Do we know that at least one of them is a dragon? We know Frost is, but he is also not a Vessel. And I think we got RAFO'd on whether all Vessels were humans.

I also thought that there was a WoB about nonhuman Vessels, but I didn't know were. Found it recently:

Q: Was Bavadin nonhuman?

A: RAFO. There is at least one Shard who wasn't human, but I'm not ready to reveal who was or wasn't just yet.

So this question is already answered.

12 minutes ago, Argent said:

I think you misspelled "Can I please have a RAFO" here.

So obvious? I thought it was a clever trick to get one if these RAFO cards!

About spiking Hordelings:

I read the Q&A about spiking sprens right after my last post. But I think it would be interesting anyways, because of the swarm intelligence. Maybe we could change this question a bit.

I think it would be interesting to ask if a Dysian Aimian could get an ability if one of its Hordlings is spiked and wether it would make a difference if the hordling is part of the collective or is walking around on its own.

@mr42I was litteraly copying that WoB into a message when you posted it. Seems i was wrong about it being confirmed that at least one Shardholder is a Dragon, i apologize for spreading false informatons.

Edited by Samaldin

A friend of mine and I will also come to the events - even tough we are not yet sure which one(s) we'll be able to catch. Preferably all of them :D

I'd love to meet some other sharders there, feel free to PM me (German is fine too). It's my first event of that sort, but I'll try to get some audio recorded during question time. 

46 minutes ago, She Who Cannot Be Named said:

A friend of mine and I will also come to the events - even tough we are not yet sure which one(s) we'll be able to catch. Preferably all of them :D

I'd love to meet some other sharders there, feel free to PM me (German is fine too). It's my first event of that sort, but I'll try to get some audio recorded during question time. 

How are they going to find you if they can't call you by name though, @She Who Cannot Be Named?

24 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

Horneater Peaks have a Shardpool and Honor's Perpendicularity moves (probably highstorm?). That gives us two Shardpools for two Shards on Roshar.

Thanks, I totally forgot about Horneater Peaks. Is there a WoB about both Perpendicularities?

13 minutes ago, mr42 said:

Thanks, I totally forgot about Horneater Peaks. Is there a WoB about both Perpendicularities?

This one

BRANDON SANDERSON

Okay, fine. Umm, at the end of Words of Radiance.

ARGENT

There has to be one there because Jasnah has to leave somehow, right?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes, but Honor’s Perpendicularity moves.

QUESTION

Woah...so...Highstorm?

And this one

QUESTION

So we know some people can survive going through Perpendicularities, but we also know, like, when Rock talked about the lake that people swam in, that Hoid came out of, he [Rock] said that some people who swam in it died. So, who can and can’t survive a Perpendicularity?

BRANDON SANDERSON

So, you should not take much of what Rock says. When he says they swim in it and they die, they just went through the Perpendicularity. They just don’t come back; what would you think if someone swims and doesn’t come back; they have drowned.

Both from the WoB treasure trove that was the December 6 Washington signing!

If anyone is looking for a more general question, not too cosmere-indepth to ask, I've been wondering if he would mind telling us where in the cosmere timeline we'll know of all sixteen Shards. Is it only in Dragonsteel or the space age (Era 4) Mistborn that we'll know all the major players, or will we know them or at least have heard of them all by the time those series start?

(Basically, I just mean he's said he doesn't want to reveal too much too soon, and I'm just curious if he has a certain point on the cosmere publishing timeline predetermined for when all the Shards at least will be revealed).

Here's my attempt at spitballing some questions for Brandon, on account of the fact that I live in a place in Canada that is not Toronto, so I doubt I'll ever get a chance to attend an event. I've attempted to ask and phrase questions in such a way that they won't be automatically RAFO, but still potentially be useful for theorizing. I'll do a little write up for why I think it may be useful for each, so you have some context for why it would be interesting. Most of them are based on topics I've discussed before though, so they're a bit selfish in attempting to answer my own curiosities.

1) We've been told that metalminds have a point where they're "full," but could a strong Feruchemist fill a metalmind with more of an attribute than a weak Feruchemist?

Spoiler

This is my attempt to figure out how objects can be "full" of Investiture, yet something like Nightblood can be way more Invested than something like the Bands of Mourning. It would be similar to compressing air in a container to store it, and how you need to generate more force to fill it as time goes on to put in the same amount of air.  If strength comes in to play, then it has implications for all sorts of magic, like why you need to achieve specific Hightenings before you can Awaken something like Nightblood. If strength does not come into play, then it tells us that there's something else required to Invest something so heavily.

2) Do Twinborn actually use the attribute stored in their metalminds when compounding, or is the Investiture from Preservation just imitating it and the power inside is lost?

Follow up question if the attribute is in fact being lost:

2b) Does the amount of attribute stored inside affect how much attribute they get while burning?

Spoiler

Pretty simple one here. He's spoken about compounding at length before, but this aspect is unclear. This could clear up a lot of things in regards to mixing different powers via compounding. I feel this one has a decent chance of getting answered.

3) Can Mistings burn unkeyed metalminds for Feruchemical powers?

Spoiler

Not sure if this one will get shot down, but he's talked around this topic before. I imagine it'll come down to if it's important to the books going forward, but I feel medallions are going to be a way bigger deal than stuff like this in the future, so there's hope.

4) Could Wax reforge one of his Ironminds into steel and then compound it for weight?

Spoiler

Decent chance of this getting a big ol' RAFO, but it would be pretty easy for Wax to compound with a Lurcher medallion anyway. Maybe he's feeling charitable and we get an answer here.

5) What would happen if you used Allomancy to burn a Hemalurgical spike while storing your Identity?

Spoiler

Okay, I'm like 99% sure this will get RAFO, but think of the implications if he answered! This one is for the gamblers.

That's the stuff I'm most curious about that isn't related to Harmonium, which I assume is just an instant RAFO until the Lost Metal comes out. I suspect everyone is burning to ask their own questions instead though, so let me know if you do decide to ask one of these so I can bug you for answers.

Hope everyone has fun at the event. I'm only incredibly slightly jealous.