2016-12-29 Idaho Falls, ID

Argent

4 hours ago, Valhalla said:

Me: Other than vessels, how many beings have lived from before the Shattering until the time of the Way of Kings?

Brandon: More than you would think. Longevity is not hard to come by in the Cosmere. That much longevity would be a little uncommon. But certain species are particularly long lived, and certain magic systems enable longevity.

Honestly, Yolen is probably mostly fine. I don't think the Shattering cause a genocide there or anything like that. So yeah, I imagine people who can live a long time, did. That, and dragons.

8 hours ago, Valhalla said:

Brandon: No. Some shards he splintered because he feared the shard itself, and some shards he targeted because he feared the vessel. He was working his way down his list in order of the shards and vessels he felt would be most dangerous to his plans until he got stuck on Roshar.

So, would that mean that he considered Ambition to be more dangerous to him than someone like Dominion or Ruin? Interesting. I wonder if that's because of the Shard or the Vessel.

14 minutes ago, Rasarr said:

So, would that mean that he considered Ambition to be more dangerous to him than someone like Dominion or Ruin? Interesting. I wonder if that's because of the Shard or the Vessel.

Shard. He said so in Chicago earlier this month - he went after Ambition, and only after failing to find it went after Devotion and Dominion.

8 minutes ago, Lazarus52980 said:

I'm not sure if Mr. Sanderson meant for it to be this way, but all this new WoB does for me is make me want to know more about the original 16 people who took up the shards.  Was the person who took up "devotion" (i.e. love) so dangerous?  How/why??

I suspect it was more of a convenience double kill. Maybe Odium went after Dominion and figured he could (or had to) take Devotion with him. Or, alternatively, he could've been worried about Devotion - it's a thing that can inspire people pretty strongly.

23 minutes ago, Rasarr said:

Well, Odium wanted to be the only Shard left and be the most powerful being in the cosmere. It's not hard to imagine why he felt threatened by the Shard Ambition ;) 

4 hours ago, Lazarus52980 said:

I'm not sure if Mr. Sanderson meant for it to be this way, but all this new WoB does for me is make me want to know more about the original 16 people who took up the shards.  Was the person who took up "devotion" (i.e. love) so dangerous?  How/why??

My little theory is that Odium and Autonomy were working together to splinter Devotion and Dominion. It makes sense because of the following:

Autonomy and Dominion are highly likely opposites, and for the others: Odium=hate whereas Devotion=love. It's not a perfect pair, but Brandon has said that a lot of them aren't as perfect as Preservation and Ruin.

I think that's why Odium chose those. First, he figured he'd go after Ambition, because it's the Shard he felt could rival him, then he struck up a deal with Autonomy to splinter their opposites, as Dominion was another high on the list (likely) and Devotion was his opposite (likely). Brandon has said that Odium would conceivably work with another Shard if he were in charge and they had a common goal, so this is totally plausible. 

The only things against it are the fact that Autonomy doesn't seem like a Shard that would let Odium be in charge of it, and that Autonomy isn't mentioned as being on Sel, though Odium is. 

(Although, according to Khriss, Bavadin does have a habit of interfering in other planets' businesses, and Hoid mentions his beef with Bavadin and Rayse in the same breath, so there is that).

27 minutes ago, Khyrindor said:

The only things against it are the fact that Autonomy doesn't seem like a Shard that would let Odium be in charge of it, and that Autonomy isn't mentioned as being on Sel, though Odium is. 

(Although, according to Khriss, Bavadin does have a habit of interfering in other planets' businesses, and Hoid mentions his beef with Bavadin and Rayse in the same breath, so there is that).

Plus Bavadin does seem like the kind of individual who would be more than happy to let somebody else THINK they were in charge of a partnership with her, while she subtly guided their actions along a path that benefits her at minimal risk to herself, since Odium's hogging the spotlight.

Just now, ROSHtaFARian2.0 said:

Plus Bavadin does seem like the kind of individual who would be more than happy to let somebody else THINK they were in charge of a partnership with her, while she subtly guided their actions along a path that benefits her at minimal risk to herself, since Odium's hogging the spotlight.

Interesting thought

On 12/30/2016 at 4:23 PM, Khyrindor said:

My little theory is that Odium and Autonomy were working together to splinter Devotion and Dominion. It makes sense because of the following:

Autonomy and Dominion are highly likely opposites, and for the others: Odium=hate whereas Devotion=love. It's not a perfect pair, but Brandon has said that a lot of them aren't as perfect as Preservation and Ruin.

I think that's why Odium chose those. First, he figured he'd go after Ambition, because it's the Shard he felt could rival him, then he struck up a deal with Autonomy to splinter their opposites, as Dominion was another high on the list (likely) and Devotion was his opposite (likely). Brandon has said that Odium would conceivably work with another Shard if he were in charge and they had a common goal, so this is totally plausible. 

I really like this theory. It is further backed up by the following WoB:

MORIDIN997

Did Bavadin in any way help Odium splinter Dominion and Devotion?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Uhh... Yes... Yes, you could say that..
That to me clearly backs up the idea of Bavadin and Rayse working together to at least some extent. One thing I would note is that if this theory is correct, it would indicate that Odium went after Tanavast for personal reasons, not because of the shard Honor. Otherwise Brandon's answer that he went after some because of their shards and some because of their vessels wouldn't make sense.
Given the knowledge we currently have, I feel like it all adds up, though.

18 hours ago, Valhalla said:

MORIDIN997

BRANDON SANDERSON

That to me clearly backs up the idea of Bavadin and Rayse working together to at least some extent. One thing I would note is that if this theory is correct, it would indicate that Odium went after Tanavast for personal reasons, not because of the shard Honor. Otherwise Brandon's answer that he went after some because of their shards and some because of their vessels wouldn't make sense.

Wow, I didn't even know about that WoB. Would you mind providing the source?

23 hours ago, Valhalla said:

MORIDIN997

BRANDON SANDERSON

I find that to be a really weak WoB. When there's wiggle room in a question, Brandon has admitted he will sometimes take advantage of it. This might be one of his Aes Sedai non-answers, where we could make a case for any number of scenarios. The questioner asked "in any way," which gives a ton of flexibility in the interpretation.

1 hour ago, Pagerunner said:

I find that to be a really weak WoB. When there's wiggle room in a question, Brandon has admitted he will sometimes take advantage of it. This might be one of his Aes Sedai non-answers, where we could make a case for any number of scenarios. The questioner asked "in any way," which gives a ton of flexibility in the interpretation.

True, but the fact is, Odium had some form of help in Splintering D&D from Bavadin. Maybe Bavadin was present and helped Splinter one of them, or maybe she just pointed Odium in the right direction and didn't try to stop him.

On 1/1/2017 at 6:28 PM, Khyrindor said:

True, but the fact is, Odium had some form of help in Splintering D&D from Bavadin. Maybe Bavadin was present and helped Splinter one of them, or maybe she just pointed Odium in the right direction and didn't try to stop him.

When I read this, I had the weirdest thing pop into my head:

- "Here's some power, you're on your own buhbai."

More seriously, Autonomy making Odium autonomous?  Hmm...

Edited by dvoraen