2016-12-03 [Arcanum Unbounded] Little City Books - Hoboken, NJ

Who else is going? This is close enough to NYC for me. :D

ETA: I emailed the store about ticketing and book availability and signatures and this is their response:

There is no purchase required. The new book and other books will be available for purchase at the event. There is no limit — within reason! — to number of books, I suppose it might depend on how many people are there waiting for signatures.

ETA2: I emailed them again about parking, and this is the response:

There are parking garages in Hoboken, which we recommend. There will not be any campus parking, and parking in Hoboken on the street can be difficult. The one at 2nd and Hudson is not far, or the one at 4th and Grand.

Edited by Segren
adding information about signing

14 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

I'll be there. It'll be my first signing, so I'm looking forward to it. Not sure how many questions it's good form to ask, but I'm coming with a bunch.

Bring as many as you can though it may be a packed house and time may be limited due to that. One thing I've learned is that you can ask him questions and at the same time have him personalize books with answers to other written questions.

4 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Adopting a wait and see approach. Depends on how well I heal, and how my baby is. If we come she'll be the youngest person there. :D

Six days old? Yeah probably lol

Hope to see ya there!

Edited by Segren

2 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

She was born Monday, just before seven so she'll actually be five days Saturday. Hopefully it won't be too cold or wet. Anyone know if there is parking close by?

lol bad math on my part! Oops!

Also, I emailed them and forgot to ask about parking, but I will fix that. The signing is at a student center that looks like it can hold a lot of people so hopefully the parking is adequate but I will check that now and update this post.

4 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Not far is different with an infant. I'll have to see how far the walk is from the nearer lots.

I agree, and even the closest lots seem a few blocks away. It might be a good idea to book parking in advance as well (though I am not liking the prices so far, 1 place charging $30 for the day).

On 30/11/2016 at 11:21 AM, Kingsdaughter613 said:

She was born Monday, just before seven so she'll actually be five days Saturday. Hopefully it won't be too cold or wet. Anyone know if there is parking close by?

Oh congratulations on your new baby :) First baby? You might be able to pull it off if you put her into one of those cozy baby carrier, but only if you are comfortable -_- 

I'll be there, probably with my three kids in tow (as my sitter fell through at the last minute and I haven't found anyone else so far). I'm coming from Allentown, which isn't too far. The auditorium seats 100 and then has additional standing room. I was told seating will be first come, first serve, so I'll probably try to get there as early as I can to ensure a seat - I pulled a muscle in my leg yesterday, and it's still getting more sore. Anyway, the point is, what I really mean, if anyone wants to sit around talking cosmere, or maybe playing Magic (I'll bring the standard deck I've most been playing with lately) or something, I'm definitely planning to go into full-on line-party mode for this one. So come find me! I'll be the big guy with the kilt and the beard and the ltattoos of Aon Kii and Allomantic Bronze (pre-Catacendre version). Hope to see you all there!

Ok, so I just got home from the event. It was pretty cool. Unfortunately I didn't record anything, but I can certainly type up the questions that I asked him here.

• Q: If the technology for 3D printing, CNC milling and the like existed on Sel, would a Forger be able to use it to create stamps, or would they have to do it by hand.
    • A: They would be able to, but since they have to still create the stamps themselves, they'd have to be the ones to model/draw the stamps. (I take that to mean that a forger couldn't just download someone else's stamp and print it out and use it)
  • Q: Does TenSoon look like an Irish Wolfhound (which is how I've seen a lot of people draw him) or more like an actual wolf?
    • A: He looks more like a large wolf-like dog, such as a husky or something (though more wolflike than a husky, he was just using that as an example)
  • Q: Will we ever get some sort of dictionary/guide to Aons or Forging, one that tells us how they're made, with what all the various parts of a seal mean and how we could theoretically design them?
    • A: We might, but it would be a ton of work for him to put together. He compared it to when people ask if we'll ever get the full text of the Way of Kings (the in-universe book) and he said that we might, but all he has is an outline.
  • Q: When a spren changes into a weapon, are they locked into one specific design for that type of weapon? Like, if Syl chose to be a longsword, could she only become that specific longsword?
    • A: no, they can become whatever they want/need.
  • Q: Who has the best and worst handwriting in the cosmere?
    • Hoid's is just terrible, but it can also be really beautiful when he wants to, but Brandon said he didn't have a real answer for this one.
  • Q: Can you tell me anything new about the force or whatever that opposed Adonalsium (this was what I had him answer in my personalization)
    • A: "I would count groups of people as a force"

Edited by PatrickDiomedes

29 minutes ago, PatrickDiomedes said:

Ok, so I just got home from the event. It was pretty cool. Unfortunately I didn't record anything, but I can certainly type up the questions that I asked him here.

• Q: Can you tell me anything new about the force or whatever that opposed Adonalsium (this was what I had him answer in my personalization)
    • A: "I would count groups of people as a force"

Yeah, I had a feeling this might be the case.  Good to know that we're back to square "the cast of Dragonsteel Shattered Adonalsium" again.  

So I just got home. I had a list of questions printed out and everything and this is what I have: 

Brandon wrote the following Answers.

How much compounding would a nicrosil twinborn would need to do to get a metalmind that is as Invested as Nightblood?

• Wow so much.

A thousand beaths doesn't seem to be that much - the God King has tens of thousands - would a piece of stone or wood or cloth or plain metal that has a thousand breaths be as Invested as Nightblood, or is there something more?

•  needs more

If an allomancer worldhopper really wanted to hack the magic system and knew what they were doing, could they get their hands on some Tanavast-ium or Rayse-ium or Egdli-um? Basically make god metals from the other shards?

•  yes

Is Iyatil wondering around the cosmere (Roshar) with a heating medallion? She's a southern Scadrial, so she needs one of those so she won't freeze to death in normal temperatures.

• RAFO

So somewhere it says that the number of Breaths doesn't determine the power of the object. But are the number of Breaths directly tied to how much Investiture is in an object? You're repeadedly said that Nighblood is ridiclously heavily invested, more so than Shardblades, Honorblades, or the Bands of Mourning. But it only has a thousand Breaths, which doesn't seem all that much from the point of view of the GodKing - Tenth Heightening, over 50,000. 
  • RAFO

Regarding the Iyatil, Brandon said that it's a good question.

I also asked about stormlight breathing.

Me: Do you actually need to physically inhale or can you like cognitivley inhale. Can you think about inhaling without actually inhaling.

Brandon: This is possible.

Me:Think about breathing

Brandon: Thant would be fine

I'll add a bit more later, about death and cognitive realm and spren god metals and subconcious responding to desires.

4 minutes ago, yulerule said:

If an allomancer worldhopper really wanted to hack the magic system and knew what they were doing, could they get their hands on some Tanavast-ium or Rayse-ium or Egdli-um? Basically make god metals from the other shards?

•  yes

Ah. Indeed. A thorn of Endowment is possible! I mean, spike, of course I mean spike. And thus, it is completely possible for a "clever" person to con a Shard. That is, take their god metal and blame everything that's gone wrong on said shard (without said shard even being involved).

How to start a war between the gods for fun and profit! TM. Or just because you can!

Is Iyatil wondering around the cosmere (Roshar) with a heating medallion? She's a southern Scadrial, so she needs one of those so she won't freeze to death in normal temperatures.

• RAFO

I think that Roshar is warm enough (well, some of it is) for her not to need to do so...maybe. :P

I went to the New Jersey signing and was able to ask the following questions.

1) Q: Is Niccolo Machiavelli's political theory, the ends justify the means, incompatible with the Knights Radiants' First Oath?
      A. No.  Although many of the Orders of KRs would find Machiavelli's theory that the ends justify the means incompatible with additional Oaths and/or values of that Order, there are some Orders who could accept a Machiavellian.  I asked this question during the open Q&A.  Brandon said that the Skybreakers where a Machiavellian could find a home.  
     Q. As Brandon was signing my books, I asked if the Elsecallers would also accept a Machiavellian.  
     A. Yes.  

2) Q. Is the rapier a weapon that people who do not have a Shardbalde use on Roshar?
      A. Brandon asked why I asked this question.  I answered that at the end of WoR, Jasnah created a Sharblade rapier.  It was a weapon I do not recall any other person using in WoK or WoR.  Brandon then said he would not answer.  I asked if that would deserve a RAFO.  He smiled and gave me a RAFO.

3) Q. I asked if in the future, he would have Lift use a Trident as her main Shard weapon.
      A. Yes.  The reader should not be surprised if Lift uses a trident as a Shard weapon (a ShardTrident).

Some other questions I did not get to ask
  a) Is the gestation period for a human on Roshar the same as it would be for a human on Earth, taking into account that time on Earth is a different ratio than on Roshar?  For example, a 17 year old on Roshar would be a few years older on Roshar.  My thought was to determine if a human on Earch has the same physiology as does a human on Roshar.  
  B) Is there a certain distance from where a Knight Radiant is and where his/her spren is which would prohibit the Knight Radiant from summoning his/her spren Shard weapon?
   c)  As part of Brandon's discussion at the beginning of the book signing, Brandon talked about the concept of the Talos Principle in Philosophy.  I wanted to ask (but totally forgot) what is the talos of a stick?

Thanks for reading my musings.
AndrewHB
(aka the musespren)

I just remembered that someone asked about the whole movie deal thing, and Brandon gave a more thorough explanation. What happened is that DMG, which is a chinese company, came to him first about the Emperor's Soul, because they wanted to make stuff that has more asian characters and they wanted to do it in hollywood because Hollywood's seriously lacking in representation of asians. So he sold that to them first, and then they called him back a couple months later asking about the entire cosmere. At that time, Mistborn was still optioned by another group, but brandon sold all the other stuff, and they started on Way of Kings right away, and then as soon as Mistborn became available they bought that up so that they had the entire cosmere. And he said that Way of Kings is ahead right now, but Mistborn will likely be first, because it'll be easier to produce and stuff.

Also, I asked whether Aluminum blocking investiture is simply an on/off situation, or whether different amounts/different alloys would inhibit it in different degrees, and Brandon said that it was theoretically possible