2016-12-01 [Arcanum Unbounded] University Bookstore - Seattle, WA

Wetlander

might be going. It's the day before my 18th birthday and I live in the Interior of BC, so it'd be a bit of a drive through the mountains in winter, or a plane trip. So it depends on if I can travel over the border without being 18, and if I can justify the cost. But we'll see, I'd love do go if I get the opportunity.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/28/2016 at 3:40 PM, Lirins hand said:

First timer, so how early do you need to show up?  I probably can't make it much earlier than 7 (if at all) due to work/traffic.

The only issue with showing up at 7 is the parking. I've usually had very good luck with the bookstore parking lot, but last time it was packed and I had to park a half-mile away. Near as I can tell, the only parking other than the bookstore lot is street parking, which gets packed too. 

(Anyone know of another lot or garage nearby?)

Angie - will definitely look for you! And since my memory for faces has gone all weird, don't feel bad if I don't recognize you right away - just come smack me. :D 

Is there someplace withing walking distance we could meet for dinner? My daughter will be with me, and I have another friend in town with his girlfriend and her teen daughter; not sure if they'd want to meet us, but it would be nice to give them the option! (Within walking distance is primarily a factor of ye old parking dilemma.)

Thanks Wetlander, will definitely try to get there early but going from downtown to eastside back to UDistrict.  Lovely Seattle traffic. :-(
How many questions are OK and how does the personalizing a book work?  Do I need to have that written out before I get there? 

Was looking for some questions to ask; can't find if anyone has asked about VenDell's suit (changing suits or changing colors).  So unless someone has already asked this...

Another one is whether or not the red eyes are all symptomatic of the same Shard's influence.

eb

So I won't be able to make it unfortunately. 

If someone doesn't have a question and wants one, I have one a few that I've been wondering about since Arcanum Unbounded.

Not really spoilery, but it deals with info from the essays and Secret History:

Spoiler

I know that in the Cognitive Realm, if there are no people around, there is no reflection in the Cognitive Realm, which is how the world-hoppers are able to move from one to the next but how does it work to move between planets when planets are spheres but their reflections in the Cognitive Realm are two dimensional? Are they based on where there are oceans or just less people? 

We know from Khriss's essays that a planet without a Perpendicularity can be studied from the Cognitive Realm. Is that how Khriss knows so much about what it's like on the planet Doo/Donne, or did she somehow find out how to be there physically?

Are the constellations in the star map being viewed from somewhere in particular, or was it made by world-hoppers making educated guesses based on their locations in Silverlight? [might be RAFO bait] Answered.

Edited by Khyrindor

1 hour ago, Lirins hand said:

Thanks Wetlander, will definitely try to get there early but going from downtown to eastside back to UDistrict.  Lovely Seattle traffic. :-(
How many questions are OK and how does the personalizing a book work?  Do I need to have that written out before I get there? 

Yes, lovely Seattle traffic, especially across the bridges. *sigh*

General rules on the signing: Ask only very broad-interest questions during the Q&A time, so as not to get too detailed for the whole audience. While you're in line for the signing table, someone will likely come along with post-it notes, write down your name (or what ever form of address you want) for personalization, and put it in the book(s) at the page he'll sign. If you want more than your name, it's probably a good idea to have it written out ahead of time - legibly. You can ask as many questions as he can answer while he's signing your book(s), and this is the time for more intricate questions that might need clarification. You can also get your picture taken with him if you'd like; I'll probably be standing there doing "master-servant duty" taking pictures, at least for a while.  :)  His rule (at this signing, at least) is usually that he'll sign as many books as you want, but he'll only personalize three per person. If you want more than that personalized, you have to go back to the end of the line for the rest. But he or one of the bookstore people will explain all that before the signing line gets started. Oh, and he will ask whether you have any questions.

I'm in the same boat as Khyrindor, it would be greatly appreciated if someone could get an answer for me :)

Spoiler

Why wasn't Kelsier able to use Allomancy after he died in SH? Did his loss of connection to the physical realm disrupt the function of the connections need for Allomancy?

Are Elemental Spren more sapient than emotionspren in the physical realm because they have more connection to the physical realm. (If no: Does it have anything to do with Honor's shattering?)

Edited by Blightsong

3 hours ago, Khyrindor said:

Hide contents

Are the constellations in the star map being viewed from somewhere in particular, or was it made by world-hoppers making educated guesses based on their locations in Silverlight? [might be RAFO bait]

We do have an answer to this one.

Storms, all those signings and I'm stuck on the other side of the globe. You people are lucky to have Brandon in your country ;)

If anybody would be willing, could you ask whether a Parshendi would hear an allomancer burning a metal as a Rythm? I don't think we know that already, do we?

13 minutes ago, Rasarr said:

Storms, all those signings and I'm stuck on the other side of the globe. You people are lucky to have Brandon in your country ;)

If anybody would be willing, could you ask whether a Parshendi would hear an allomancer burning a metal as a Rythm? I don't think we know that already, do we?

I know we know something similar. I think bronze or copper interacts with the Rhythms?

There's this:

AETHENOTH

Can an allomantic bronze burner hear the rhythms on Roshar?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes, this is possible

And a little less related:

CADMIUM

Would a Connection medallion accurately interpret a Listener’s Rhythms?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes, it would, but not all of it, some would be lost in translation. You’d probably lose some of the nuance. It would probably be better to give the medallion to someone who couldn't understand it than someone who spoke it

20 hours ago, Lirins hand said:

Was looking for some questions to ask; can't find if anyone has asked about VenDell's suit (changing suits or changing colors).  So unless someone has already asked this...

Another one is whether or not the red eyes are all symptomatic of the same Shard's influence.

eb

Normally people ask 3-4 questions, but Brandon is patient and would still answer all the questions you got. In the interest of time and the fact that there are lot of people waiting in line behind you, you wouldn't ask more than 8. 

That said could you ask if we would ever get a novella like Secret history from Hoids perspective? The past events will be covered by Dragon Steel series but in the current time, he is really busy jumping all over the place. Even in Edgedancer we get a glimpse of him having done something strange. So it'll be good to know all the things he did from his perspective and his timeline - I doubt if all of his actions are rational, but that's discussion for another day