[All Cosmere book spoilers] Autonomy's intent and random Cosmere musings

I Am Stick

First ever thread!! Hopefully I can construct these thoughts properly. Though I warn you I will probably end up all over the place.

SoS - I've just finished SoS and have seen some bits around about Bavadin's shards intent, Autonomy. It strikes me as pertinent that the identity of a shard has been released so close after finding out there is another likely god metal on Scadrial. I would guess that Autonomy/Bavadin is working with Oduim to splinter the shards to remove the interference of the shardholders from the Cosmere, including himself. As we've seen with Preservation Shards are not frightened to destroy themselves to ensure there intent is met. This fits with the Autonomy. Bleeder also had a fanatical belief she was freeing people from Harmony's interference.

The god metal spike seen at the end of SoS had, I believe, bits of red rust on, I wonder if Autonomy and Odium are working together and this has corrupted his investiture, the rust the physical realms representation of this. I like the name Autonium

Rust and ruin - WoB has said to look closer at the rust and ruin phrase closer. Ruin is obviously just ruin, but rust could represent a completely different shard. It could be everything I've written so far is wrong. Rust could represent a shard, pluck from the air, Decay maybe?

Someone also mentioned on a post a while ago that BS had put a clue in his book regarding Trelagism and Trell was mentioned in SoS, Trell had a brother and his name was Nalt. Nalthis is the planet Endowment is. More overlapping Cosmere theology.

Belief - My thoughts on the way Odium splinters Shards and the way shards are powered in a sense would be rooted in belief. One of BS best qualities as a writer is how he incorporates religion into the magic system, and how normal people can become figures or religious belief.

Now what if the shards themselves are powered by belief, Bleeder tried to break free Elendel from Harmony's control, for the lack of a better word, but this also would have broken down the belief system and government as part of the plan. This would weaken Harmony and give Autonomy or Odium an opening to attack maybe? Not a great theory but could be plausible.

Gateways and Stormlight - This is just a thought I've been having regarding the way magic interacts with different worlds. WoB is that when an allomancer burns a metal it is giving access to the power of the shards/creation, a gateway to access magic, each metal is a gateway to a certain power much in the same way that drawing an Aon accesses the Dor with a specific outcome, channeling the power for a specific purpose.

On Nalthis each person has a breath to begin with, they are Endowed with a small part of the shard, much like the way life on Scadrial has both preservation and ruin in them. In Mistborn people are picked for there actions to become more, but as the powers come from both preservation and ruin it's not about good or bad actions but almost random, balanced. This is opposed by the investiture on Nalthis, where you have an innate breath at birth, a link to god, but you are Endowed with a divine breath if you are found deserving, dying to save someone. Each of these links or gateways can run out or be used up with 

The exception to the rule is Roshar, I think anyway. Spren are the gateway and stormlight is the power that is used. Does this mean that Roshar is the nexus for the power of creation as stormlight is freely available to all people, just most don't have the link to access it personally. 

Like I say these are mostly the ramblings of a madman, think I may have been spiked by BS to miss all points.

Thoughts anyone?

On the topic of Ruin vs Decay.  Ruin, as an intent, includes change and destruction, "decay" is part of that.  Interestingly enough "Decay" was actually the name of the Shard that eventually became Ruin.  In the unpublished Aether of Night (which Brandon sends out to people who request it via email) "Decay" is featured, but the book didn't really work so Brandon cannibalized things from it, one of them being Decay which got reworked into Ruin for Mistborn.

On the topic of Ruin vs Decay.  Ruin, as an intent, includes change and destruction, "decay" is part of that.  Interestingly enough "Decay" was actually the name of the Shard that eventually became Ruin.  In the unpublished Aether of Night (which Brandon sends out to people who request it via email) "Decay" is featured, but the book didn't really work so Brandon cannibalized things from it, one of them being Decay which got reworked into Ruin for Mistb

That's really interesting to know, it did cross my mind that Decay and Ruin were too similar to be different Shards. I'm at a blank to what the new metal could be other than Shardic investiture if Harmony can't sense it. I'll stick to my original idea of Autonium then. Thanks

I think Stormlight is just a form of investiture that manifests mainly in the physical realm and thus can be interacted with by inhabitants of the physical realm (eg. For light), rather than the cognitive or spiritual such as the Dor. To channel investiture in all cases involves spirit web interaction, not just contact with investiture.

I'd always figured 'Rust and Ruin' to just be a natural curse, given the prevalence of metals on Scandrial, but there might be more to it.

I'm still not sold on the Autonomy/Odium team up. It just seems to go against the Autonomy intent, and we saw in HoA that Shard holders have trouble acting against their intent.

see Vin's experience

Here's the link to the thread that made me thing rust and ruin was more than just a phrase

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/1196-trell-religion-spoilers/

I agree that rust sounds like the decay of metals, like ruins intent but I'm assuming he wouldn't give a hint unless it was prevalent. also I'm starting to question my own autonomy theory as I also agree it goes against its intent. Unless he's looking at the whole cosmere being shardicly autonomous?

I thought that investure in Mistborn was genetic, not picked based on their actions?  

If anything, I would consider Roshar to be the world dependent on actions, since spren are attracted to and thus bond with individuals based on their actions/virtues.

To be honest I'd rather stick with the names of the god metals being derived from the Shardholder's name rather than the name of the Intent (Harmony just had to go and ruin things though).  So bavadium or bavadinium.

Yes please! Harmonium has greatly confused people into thinking God Metals are named after Shards rather than the original holder. (hence why Atium and Lerasium did not change names after events in HoA) Thanks Brandon ;) Sazedium is a perfectly good name for a God Alloy.

So your relevant theoretical alien God Metals under the original naming scheme are Bavadinium (if you're on Team "Trell is Autonomy") or Raysium. (for Team "Trell is Odium") We're unlikely to see any other metals that we know how to name, as all the other original Shard holders we know names for have been killed/Splintered.

Great call on the 'Rust and Ruin' saying btw.  I had assumed that rust was culturally dire on Scadrial because metal is so central to their magic/culture/beliefs.

Thanks mate. Though I have had a further thought on our mystery rusted god metal and shard. If it's a shard of course, I admit I am clutching at straws here.

One of the opposites of Endowment is Loss. Rust is formed when Electrons are Lost by the metal to oxygen molecules creating an oxide surface. Our mystery metal may be the shardic manifestation of the opposite of Endowment. Not sure if Loss is the correct name but another opposite word is Deprivation and I much prefer the sound of that. Could be that Bleeder was Deprived of her sanity? 

Though this is just brainstorming really

Thanks mate. Though I have had a further thought on our mystery rusted god metal and shard. If it's a shard of course, I admit I am clutching at straws here.

One of the opposites of Endowment is Loss. Rust is formed when Electrons are Lost by the metal to oxygen molecules creating an oxide surface. Our mystery metal may be the shardic manifestation of the opposite of Endowment. Not sure if Loss is the correct name but another opposite word is Deprivation and I much prefer the sound of that. Could be that Bleeder was Deprived of her sanity? 

Though this is just brainstorming really

I think to attribute Paalm's lack of sanity to a Shard kinda requires you to make a good argument as to why [a] having just one spike and the events she'd lived eg. with Wax wouldn't individually or both make her insane.

Edited by Ari

• Chaos locked this topic