A Creation Myth

Kaymyth

This doesn't quite correspond with my beliefs(LDS), but I really like it all the same. It's an interesting belief and I love the way you wrote that. 

Thanks!  I don't expect a lot of people to necessarily believe it, but I at least hope that some folks find the concept beautiful.  The universe is vast and marvelous, but we're kind of marvelous, too.

There's this concept in pagan circles called Unverifiable Personal Gnosis.  Some people actually use it derogatorily, but I'm actually quite fond of the notion.  We all have our personal experiences with the Divine and or Really Weird Things .  We can't prove it (Unverifiable), it's unique to us (Personal), but it gives us some inkling of wisdom into the nature of everything (Gnosis).  Everyone has their own moments of connection with something that fuels faith.  Mine might be completely different from yours.  Heck, they might even contradict each other directly.  But for each of us, that moment was something real and tangible, and nobody can or should tell either of us that those things are anything other than valid.

I definitely liked the story. As you hoped, I did find the concept beautiful, even if I didn't believe it.

I think the truth is out there. I believe in God, and I believe everyone has the capacity to comprehend only so much of his vast truths. Like the Universe in your story, I think God wants people to see and understand what they can of the truth, and he's given us ways to do that.

I loved the way you told it. Very well-written, like someone telling a story they know well to people they know will like it.

As a religious treatise I'm inclined to disagree with this. I think the biggest difference between our beliefs is that I believe that there is only one True religion, which is incompatible with the all-including doctrine presented in this piece.  Which is fine; it doesn't offend me in any way, and I'm quite happy to coexist with our separate ways of thinking about religion.

As a short story, this is beautiful. :D It reminds me a lot of the animist concepts I came across when worldbuilding one of my settings. I adore the idea of stars, planets, and the Universe itself having souls, being capable of communicating or trying to communicate through the cosmos.

So while I can't say I'll be adopting this particular cosmological headcanon as my own, I can say that this was a beautiful piece of writing that made me ponder reality in a different light than usual. Take an upvote for a work well executed. I'd be delighted to read more from you, if you have anything else to share. :)

Edited by Kobold King

I loved the way you told it. Very well-written, like someone telling a story they know well to people they know will like it.

Funny you should say that; the original draft was written for me to tell to the congregation as an introduction to a very astrophysics-based ritual.  It was designed to bridge the gap between science and spirituality in a way that related to the ritual itself, while being simple enough for the kids to follow.

So while I can't say I'll be adopting this particular cosmological headcanon as my own, I can say that this was a beautiful piece of writing that made me ponder reality in a different light than usual. Take an upvote for a work well executed. I'd be delighted to read more from you, if you have anything else to share. :)

I've got some stuff I'm working on.  Did you read that silly little blurb I spit out on the Herd thread about Discord giving Twilight the first several books of A Song of Ice and Fire?  Yeah, that's worked itself into an entire episode-esque story where he gives all of the Mane Six "gifts" that backfire in typically ridiculous ways.  And then they all find a way to appreciate what they got, and Discord learns a valuable lesson about friendship.  It's like I know the formula, man.

I also have a much bigger project that I started during NaNoWriMo.  It's an Alloy of Law-era fic featuring original characters, its own plot, and airships.  Because airships are cool.  (The main character of that?  She's who's been ponified into my avatar.)

*sigh*

that was pretty beautiful

On the topic I only have one thing to say: I was not here when the universe was born, I will probably* not be here when it dies. If I die knowing someone, somewhere, will understand it's vastness then I will die happy.

*not unless [redacted] works

The only thing that I am certain of is that the Universe has a sense of humor.  There is really no other explanation for the platypus.

Some of my favorite writing has been when I get to include creation myths. Sometimes they contain more truth for the characters than for me, but I think it is in their nature to find something beautiful behind the mundane. (Or, in certain genres, frightening/horrific, but I don't write in those.)

I have to say that my favorite part of this piece is the voice given to the Universe. It communicates a lot about the person relaying the story.

• 8 months later...

Wow, I am late, but I saw hs in your signature so . . . Here I am. :)

That was a beautiful story. I greatly enjoyed every second that I spent readng it. Woud you mind if I used this story, retold in my own words, for a religion in one of my fantasy cultures?

Edit: or maybe even have a  character that somewhat resembles you bethe one telling it? :ph34r:

Edited by The Honor Spren

Wow, I am late, but I saw hs in your signature so . . . Here I am. :)

That was a beautiful story. I greatly enjoyed every second that I spent readng it. Woud you mind if I used this story, retold in my own words, for a religion in one of my fantasy cultures?

Edit: or maybe even have a  character that somewhat resembles you bethe one telling it? :ph34r:

Yay!  ^_^  That's why I put it in my sig:  shameless self-promotion...er, I mean, to make sure it's findable for people who might be interested.  And thank you!

Yes, you may absolutely use it.  I originally wrote it up for a Unitarian Universalist children's lesson; it was meant to be shared.

The only thing that I am certain of is that the Universe has a sense of humor.  There is really no other explanation for the platypus.

I really have to mention Terry Pratchett's The Last Continent here. If you've read it, you probably know what I'm talking about, if not, I strongly suggest you start reading ASAP.

It's a very nicely written story.

I ought to mention that I love this little piece - I remember it inspiring me to write up my own cosmological history for my fantasy setting. (I'm not sure if that memory is accurate, because the dates are weird for that, but it's beautiful enough to have inspired me to do so even if little nitpicky things like dates say otherwise. Off-topic question - Kaymyth, did you post an earlier version of this in a Random Stuff thread? Or maybe one of the Question threads?)

Mostly, I just wanted to say that I have much praise for this (since somehow I never posted about it before), and am delighted to see that it has found renewed attention.

I really have to mention Terry Pratchett's The Last Continent here. If you've read it, you probably know what I'm talking about, if not, I strongly suggest you start reading ASAP.

It's a very nicely written story.

Oddly enough, I think that's one of the minority of Discworld books I haven't gotten around to reading yet.

I ought to mention that I love this little piece - I remember it inspiring me to write up my own cosmological history for my fantasy setting. (I'm not sure if that memory is accurate, because the dates are weird for that, but it's beautiful enough to have inspired me to do so even if little nitpicky things like dates say otherwise. Off-topic question - Kaymyth, did you post an earlier version of this in a Random Stuff thread? Or maybe one of the Question threads?)

Mostly, I just wanted to say that I have much praise for this (since somehow I never posted about it before), and am delighted to see that it has found renewed attention.

I haven't posted a full version of it anywhere else, but I may have gotten into my personal universe headcanon a bit on the Religions thread or my AMA.

(I've never posted in any of the Question threads.  I've never even read any of the Reckoners RP threads.  I find it amusing that people keep forgetting that I'm not a part of that madness.  The pony avatar must keep confusing y'all.)

• 2 months later...

That was incredibly beautiful and touching. Thank you for having risked that little piece of yourself that you put out there each and every time you bare your soul of express your world as you see it. As an agnostic/atheist, I interpret most religion as an elaborate metaphorical expression of the followers self and values, and I enjoy learning religions largely in part to experience the beauty of mankind's efforts to understand the universe itself. I am honored to have read this and most definitely consider it one of the most beautifully simplistic yet expressive interpretations of life I've yet encountered. Thank you for having shared this, and know I don't give that praise lightly :)

That was incredibly beautiful and touching. Thank you for having risked that little piece of yourself that you put out there each and every time you bare your soul of express your world as you see it. As an agnostic/atheist, I interpret most religion as an elaborate metaphorical expression of the followers self and values, and I enjoy learning religions largely in part to experience the beauty of mankind's efforts to understand the universe itself. I am honored to have read this and most definitely consider it one of the most beautifully simplistic yet expressive interpretations of life I've yet encountered. Thank you for having shared this, and know I don't give that praise lightly :)

Thank you!  ^_^

• 6 months later...
  • 11 months later...

:wub: @Kaymyth, I really enjoyed this. A few years ago, the fact that it differed from my own beliefs would have bothered me, but I've worked on not being attached to my idea of Truth since then, and I find it makes me more open to hearing Truth from others. (I still believe that capital-T Truth exists, but I no longer believe that I, personally, can actually grasp it. I've found that it's a much more comfortable place to sit, for me.) I find your Truth a helpful way to view things. I clicked your link and read it a week or two ago, and I keep finding my mind going back to it.

On 10/28/2017 at 11:21 AM, Anarkitty said:

:wub: @Kaymyth, I really enjoyed this. A few years ago, the fact that it differed from my own beliefs would have bothered me, but I've worked on not being attached to my idea of Truth since then, and I find it makes me more open to hearing Truth from others. (I still believe that capital-T Truth exists, but I no longer believe that I, personally, can actually grasp it. I've found that it's a much more comfortable place to sit, for me.) I find your Truth a helpful way to view things. I clicked your link and read it a week or two ago, and I keep finding my mind going back to it.

Thank you! It's a piece that I original wrote for a children's lesson at my pagan Unitarian Universalist church years back, which is why it's written in such a childrens-book style. I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)