Twinborn power houses and usless saps

cleric

So I have been having a lot of fun brainstorming twinborn. what are powerful and weak combonations and the like. So I made this list. Wanted to get other peoples ideas for what awesome and horrible twinborn could be.

Physical:(feruchemy left side. allomancy right side)

Stores weight Iron pulls metal

stores speed steel pushes metal

stores senses tin enhances senses

stores strength pewter enhances strength

Cognitive:

Stores mental speed Zinc Rioter (inflame emotions)

stores warmth brass soother (calms emotions)

stores memories copper coppercloud hides allomancy and protects from emotional allomancy

stores wakefulness bronze seeker, can find and identify allomancy

Spiritual:

stores spiritual connection Duralumin enhances active metals in a powerful burst

stores sense of identity Aluminum causes reserves to burn away for the user

stores luck Chromium destroys anothers metal reserves

stores investiture Nicrosil can enhance anothers active metals

Hybrid:

stores health Gold see yourself if you had lived another past

stores determination Electrum see your own future (poor mans atium as it counters another burning atium)

stores nutrition bendalloy creates a speed bubble

stores breath cadmium creates a slow time bubble

god:

stores age Atium shows another persons future.

??? Malatium see another person in the past

Oy what a list! now for the fun part.

Compounders.

other than the already noticed powerful pair (gold and Atium) there are a few that I think could have real potential.

Chromium compounders could generate infinite luck. I can see that being very fun to play around with. almost makes me think that what happened to Matt from teh wheel of time. plus you could drain the metals of any allomancer you fight.

Bronze compounders. sleepless trackers. never need to sleep, able to hunt allomancers. I would love to read about this character. probably my favorite of the compounders from a story perspective.

Tin and Pewter I lump together as both systems give the same effect. a pewter compounder could kick the hulks chull in theory. and a tin compounder could put a tin savant to shame without the negative effects.

the list of interesting twin born that are not compounders is extensive. what are some you guys like.

Have to say though, aluminum compounders might be the most useless thing out there.

Edited by cleric

I would like to see the fight od a steel compounder, infinite speed sounds very strong to me.

And those Zync compounders can solve any puzzle very quickly, although it is relatively useless in a fight.

I really wonder what storing determination would be good for, just as saving your own identity.

One thing that seems useful to me, if applyable in that fashion, would be someone who can tap zync and burn tin:

Sense, see and hear everything around you, tapping mental speed to be able to comprehend all that information, perhaps it would be a little like atium burning.

One thing that seems useful to me, if applyable in that fashion, would be someone who can tap zync and burn tin:

Sense, see and hear everything around you, tapping mental speed to be able to comprehend all that information, perhaps it would be a little like atium burning.

woah, you just blew my mind. sherlock holmes was a twinborn.

And those Zync compounders can solve any puzzle very quickly, although it is relatively useless in a fight.

Seriously? You can dodge anything and hit at exactly the right moment, everything is essentially in slow motion, that's pretty much only useful in a fight as far as I can think of, other than just for impressing people.

Seriously? You can dodge anything and hit at exactly the right moment, everything is essentially in slow motion, that's pretty much only useful in a fight as far as I can think of, other than just for impressing people.

I'm actually not quite sure what exactly the difference is between mental-speed and physical, at least in regard to how it effects the speed with which you percieve your surroundings; When you tap steel, could you actually run past your target by accident, because you didn't realise you already reached it? Or is everything in slowmotion, but you can move normally?

Or do you need both zync and steel for slow-motion? Maybe when you tap tync you percieve everything in slowmotion, your own body included? I'm sorry I'm starting to babble, but the more I think about it, the more I think you are right. Zync compounding sure is useful when you combine it with a gun and you have all the time in the world to aim perfectly. It's just that your body stays sluggish.

Edited by Makromag

I'm actually not quite sure what exactly the difference is between mental-speed and physical, at least in regard to how it effects the speed with which you percieve your surroundings;

I'm under the impression that zinc is all about perception and reaction-time. Technically, your body will move faster to an outsider, because your reactions themselves will be a bit faster, but before very long you will reach the limits at which your body can go any faster.

So, in short, here is what I believe: with zinc everything seems like slo-mo to your own perceptions, even your own motions. (You see the bullet coming at you but can't get out of the way in time) With steel, you move faster but are limited by your own ability to react. (You CAN move fast enough to dodge out of each individual bullet in a spray, but you can't react fast enough and are just as likely to dodge into one as away from one). With both of them, you're basically dancing around gracefully while everyone else slowly takes a step. (BULLET TIME.)

zinc compounding would also be great to play blitz chess. but it would be like cheating.

Any intellectual work would also benefit a lot from it. i could write my papers in hours instead of weeks, since most of the time is spent to think about what i want to write.

oh, and fast mind would also mean fast reading. I could read books superfast, and so do that without spending time.

Would definitely be my favourite.

zinc compounding would also be great to play blitz chess. but it would be like cheating.

Any intellectual work would also benefit a lot from it. i could write my papers in hours instead of weeks, since most of the time is spent to think about what i want to write.

oh, and fast mind would also mean fast reading. I could read books superfast, and so do that without spending time.

Would definitely be my favourite.

Except now you have a new irriation in life.

YOUR EYES ARE MOVING SOOOO SLOWLY! NOOOOO!

Except now you have a new irriation in life.

YOUR EYES ARE MOVING SOOOO SLOWLY! NOOOOO!

Well your eyes can move pretty darn quickly, you could easily read up to probably 10x faster without your eyes movement speed being a problem.

All of them generate investiture in the user, potentially making them immune to any number of other powers. As a basic benefit of compounding, I like it.

Not necessarily. It could be the case that both or either (but certainly at least Allomancy) don't really entail "holding" Investiture in any real amount. If the user is simply a conduit for power, then he is not himself Invested any more when he is using magic than when he is not. The user is almost certainly just a conduit for the vast majority of Allomancy, leaving the rest of Allomancy and Feruchemy to be considered.

Even the more "internal" Allomantic metals--and Feruchemy--could conceivably also work on a "conduit" level. If you see Allomantic Pewter as expending Investiture to produce physical enhancement as opposed to Investing the user to produce physical enhancement, then even the most "held" powers could fail to result in a real increase in how Invested a magic user is. The same could cross-apply for Feruchemy.

Edited by Kurkistan

You raise a good point, though I wonder whether such a "current" of Investiture would be functionally different. If you have enough passing through you, it might still shield you from the effects while it does so. Curious...

I believe that you are, in fact more Invested when burning, just not enough for it to shield you, and potentially the specialization of the power may affect its interference (white noise against single frequency). Even compounding will not allow you to consistently draw power at the rate greater than you can generate it, which is fixed (the amount you get from burning/flaring fully filled metal, let us say about 1000% from your natural value), and I don't believe that power level is enough to shield you unless the power is geared for it. So raw investiture (Nicrosil) may work as a shield (or not), other powers probably not, unless you store them beforehand and then drain them in minutes.

Its also worth noting that we've been told despite the incredible combat capabilities of the metallic arts they are some of the lightest magic systems in the cosmere in terms of investiture, they don't have a lot of power, they just use it in a very focused way that is appropriate to killing people, as opposed to the other systems we've seen which use much more power in less focused ways. Even if the focused nature of the power doesn't effect its ability to shield the user from other investiture there probably wouldn't be enough to make a noticeable difference.

I'm actually writing a fanfic from the point of view of a Zinc Compounder. You guys had it pretty much how Ive done it. He seems a lot faster but only because his reaction time is amazing. He sees everything slowed down but like you guys said he is slowed like everyone else. The real benefit is the precision it grants. Because of the Zinc all of his movements are just enough, not too much or too little. So he appears slightly faster and his movement is very smooth and precise, which would be pretty useful in combat.

• Chaos locked this topic