Theory: The soulcaster was a fake!

Voidus

Put quite simply, the reason that Shallans fathers soulcaster didn't work after being repaired is that it never did. I realise it's probably a bit of a stretch to have both soulcasters being fake but I like my theory so I'm just going to ignore that and bribe you all with cookies. This is also an explanation as to why the ghostbloods want the soulcaster back so badly so that no one discovers that Brightlord Davar was actually a surgebinder, this basically all hangs around the fact that Scadriels forms of investiture were all hereditary so it may be the case on Roshar as well.

Right, now COOKIES FOR EVERYONE!!!

Cookie.gif

I am also with Shivertongue. Everyone on this forum likes bribes/theories/cookies. I especially like to chomp on a good cookie theory every now and again. Actually, now that I think about it, I probably should have proffered a cookie response of my own instead of sat here typing away about cookies you theory.

Actually now that I think about it this would also explain why the Ghostbloods wanted to kill Jasnah, she was the only other person who knew that it was possible to soulcast without a fabrial.

Edited by Voidus

Shallan has a shardblade we assume she gained around the time she murderd her father.

Her family discovered the soulcaster in his pocket after his death.

The cut was clean, typical of shardblades.

I'll have to hunt to find the page references.

why would Shallan put it in a pocket? The sharblade would cut the clothes (since they're dead). And I would think "Shardblade" if I came across a dead body with clothes that are nice and cleanly cut but no wound is on the skin... unless the reason why there was a pool of blood was because Shallan recut that area after it was also dead (I don't think dead bodies make pools of blood very well though... :() and then she saw the soulcaster and was like "uhhhh... I'm gonna hide that in an uncut pocket".

Dead bodies can pump blood around the body for roughly 45 seconds after their hosts have 'died' in the definition of 'brain-dead', which is what we might assume a Shardblade might do, ie, cut nervous connections to the brain. Therefore the heart would continue to follow its last instruction (beat) until such a time as the next set are due, at which the brain doesn't respond, and the heart then stops.

No, no, the brain tells the heart to beat for ten loops (whole ventricular convulsions) in a row by sending out delayed nervous messages to the SAN pacemaker cells... basically, it receives one delayed message every beat, but the brain sends them in batches of ten. To maximise effectiveness, the brain has about 5 wholes batches waiting in the wings, and when it dies, all five are released in periods. 50 heart beats lasts the heart another 45 seconds.

I apologize because at some point in the future you will be, once again, burdened with unnecessary and useless knowledge, solely in order for me to drive home a point. Eventually you will sink from the battleship-worth of random facts that will be unloaded onto you if you again question my 'knowledge' of heart neuro-transmitting units... and the involved chemo-transcriptular organs to receive electro-convulsion impulses...

Did you know that giraffe's saliva contains a poison that makes people love cuddly animals? It's true.

Did you know that giraffe's tongue are black because they lick their body to heat them up in the winter, and black absorbs sunlight? It's true.

You get the gist?

The color pink only exsists because our brains are lying to us.

Anyway- I maintain that the soulcaster was found in her father's pocket after his death, and one of the chains was cut by a shardblade. Actual soulcasters exsist, and the butler said it was genuine. So I believe the soulcaster wasn't fake.

A possible explanation for how the Soulcaster got cut: Shallan's father was threatening to kill one of his sons with the Shardblade, Shallan grabbed something convenient and stabbed/clubbed him, he died before the Shardblade turned to mist and landed on it.

the soulcaster (or at least half of it) would fall out of whatever pocket it was in when it got cut because the pocket would have also gotten cut, if the soulcaster was cut by a shardblade.

If the soulcaster was cut by a shardblade then the only explanation for it to be found in a pocket is if it was put there (unless you want to count the possibility that the blade became ninja for long enough to slip into the pocket and cut the soulcaster without cutting the pocket :P)

The butler was a ghostblood as well though wasn't he? so he'd lie about it as well.

Edit: I doubt you can tell a soulcaster is real or fake without actually using it, after all Jasnah would have been under some quite intense scrutiny and no one else picked up that hers is a fake.

Edited by Voidus