[OB] "Light and warmth" which Dalinar feels

LerasiumMistborn

I listed all the scenes where Dalinar feels this strange "warm light" which comes from unknown source.Just list of scenes, no theories, cause I have no idea what it means:)But maybe others have any thoughts.All I can say, it's certainly not from Honor, Cultivation, or Odium.

1)"Warm light bathed him. A deep, enveloping, piercing warmth.A warmth that soaked down deep through his skin, into his very self. He stared at that light, and was not blinded. The source was distant, but he knew it. Knew it well.

He smiled.

Then he awoke."

Words of Radiance, chapter 89

2)"What was the meaning of the last vision I received?” Dalinar said. “The one this morning, that came with no highstorm.”

NO VISION WAS SENT THIS MORNING. “

"Yes it was. I saw light and warmth.

A SIMPLE DREAM. NOT OF ME, NOR OF GODS.

Curious. Dalinar could have sworn it felt the same way as the visions, if not stronger.”

Words of Radiance, chapter 89

3)“Old friend,” Dalinar said softly, “Honor might be dead, but I have felt… something else. Something beyond. A warmth and a light. It is not that God has died, it is that the Almighty was never God. He did his best to guide us, but he was an impostor. Or perhaps only an agent. A being not unlike a spren—he had the power of a god, but not the pedigree.”

Oathbringer, chapter 5

4)“I have felt warmth,” Dalinar said, “coming from a place beyond. A light I can almost see. If there is a God, it was not the Almighty, the one who called himself Honor. He was a creature. Powerful, but still merely a creature.”

Oathbringer, chapter 28

5)"Something stirred inside of Dalinar.  A warmth that he had known once before.  A warm, calming light.

Unite them.

"I will take responsibility for what I have done," Dalinar whispered."

Oathbringer, chapter 119

6)"He dipped his pen again. “Would you close the balcony doors again, gemheart?” he asked her. “The sunlight is distracting me from the other light.

“Other light?”

As Navani shut the balcony doors, he closed his eyes and felt the warmth of a distant, unseen light."

Oathbringer, chapter 122.

+ In "Shadows of Self" Wax feels warmth when Harmony talks with him.I'm 100% sure there is no connection, just fun coincidence:)

"I made a mistake with you, I now see. I still make many. Does that ruin your faith, Waxillium? Does it worry you that your God is fallible?

“You never claimed to be infallible, so far as I remember.”

No. I did not.

Wax felt a warmth, a fire, as if the inside of the carriage were heating to incredible temperatures."

Wax swallowed. “Yes, Lord.”

I will send you help.

The voice vanished. The temperature returned to normal. Wax leaned back, sweating, feeling drained.

As for Dalinar.He also had two non-Stormfather visions.One at the end of WoR, in which he sees light for the first time.And second with Nohadon in Oathbringer.I'm curious if they are related?If I has a chance to ask Brandon a question I would definitely ask about this.

Brandon wil definitely RAFO this.

I'm myself torn on whether this is some kind of (likely intentional) remainder from Adonalsium that he uses to guide Dalinar in a way (connected to the theory that "Unite them" comes from Adonalsium as well) or whether it comes from the God Beyond, who is more like the Judeo-Christian God.

You could probably add the light at the beginning of Ch 103, Hypocrite, at the start of his dream with Nohadon as although it’s not as pleasantly described, it seems to be the same brilliant light which does not originate from the sun (Dalinar is confused about how the sunlight is pointed in another direction.)

• Pagerunner changed the title to [OB] "Light and warmth" which Dalinar feels

I always kind of thought that the Nohadon vision was Odium's doing, and he just wanted to play with Dalinar. I wouldn't put it past the Shard of Passion to have the ability to make others feel warmth and see benevolent light either. Still, I feel like he's just foreshadowing a supernatural element, e.g the God Beyond, to the Cosmere (no, Shards are not supernatural - they're a part of the natural world of that universe) 

Well, actually, since you can get from the Cognitive to the Beyond via accepting your death... I guess there's a bridge between the Beyond and the other realms. Meaning that it's a part of the natural world too. So there's nothing supernatural involved. :ph34r: But that's 'nuff tangents.

Edited by Vissy

50 minutes ago, Vissy said:

I always kind of thought that the Nohadon vision was Odium's doing, and he just wanted to play with Dalinar.

I thought this too, but in the OP, none of the times Dalinar feels the light and the warmth are times that it would apparently benefit Odium, especially when it would seem that the presence of the feeling is what prompted Dalinar to take responsibly for his actions and deny Odium.

Personally, I think this warmth and light is related to Adonalsium. I think we see this at the end of OB as well

Spoiler

When Dalinar ascends, Odium looks at him and says "We killed you." I think your topic relates directly to this ending. I am in the camp that believes that Dalinar is ascending as a coming together of Adonalsium and not just to the shard of honor. There is certainly something more going on here, especially with the in-world religion of the One.

@CJ Feboris The reason I am against the Adonalsium theory is that to ascend to Adonalsium, Dalinar would have to take the power away from all of the Shards. 

The Shards have Vessels, the power is held firmly by those Vessels. I see no way that a new person could rip that power away from them involuntarily. 

On that same note, SA is not the end of the Cosmere, and if/when Adonalsium is reformed, what is there left that could be bigger? 

As to the Iriali religion of the one, it may have been influenced by the story of Adonalsium, but it's origins and more heavy influences are both more recent, and unknown. 

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

Is the Iri religion based on knowledge of the [Shattering], anything like that?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Kind of, yes.

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

But they don't know it?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

They don't know it, yeah. I would say yes, there are echoes of it. There are more recent events that they don't even quite remember that are more influential.

source

Edited by Calderis

20 hours ago, Dreamstorm said:

You could probably add the light at the beginning of Ch 103, Hypocrite, at the start of his dream with Nohadon as although it’s not as pleasantly described, it seems to be the same brilliant light which does not originate from the sun (Dalinar is confused about how the sunlight is pointed in another direction.)

Thank you:) I'll try to find it out.

9 hours ago, Calderis said:

The reason I am against the Adonalsium theory is that to ascend to Adonalsium, Dalinar would have to take the power away from all of the Shards. 

The Shards have Vessels, the power is held firmly by those Vessels. I see no way that a new person could rip that power away from them involuntarily. 

On that same note, SA is not the end of the Cosmere, and if/when Adonalsium is reformed, what is there left that could be bigger?

I think, people who support Adonalsium theory suppose that Dalinar could play role after Stormlight Archive.For example, he ends up being a Vessel of Honor Shard and by doing so become important for the greater Cosmere.Or something like that...

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 5:01 AM, Doomdrinker said:

Honestly I think this might be Cultivations work, we know from WoBs that she is actively still working against odium and it makes sense that she'd be very subtle in her influence.

I'm 100% on the cultivation hype train at the moment.  I've cemented in my head that her 'intent' is one of the most powerful ones as it is an intent that actively is seeking change/growth, towards betterment/perfection (to cultivate).

Physiologically it sounds like a sudden release of Dopamine into the Nucleus Accumbens (the reward center of the brain) causing a temporary euphoria.  This natural reward pathway is the foundation of habit-forming behaviors both natural (music, food, sex, powerful emotional events) and artificial (opioids, stimulants, nicotine, alcohol etc.).

It sounds a little disturbingly like the nod and buzz opioids give.  We already know that using stormlight/magic gives the user a temporary buzz of elated emotions, heightened energy and focus, and dulling of pain.  I think this deep inner warmth sensation is just a "larger dose" of the same interaction with investiture.  Instead of just burning the stormlight/metal, heroes in these cases are interacting with the pure concentrated investiture of a shard itself.

For Dalinar specifically I think this is him drawing closer to the presence of the Honor shard.  He hasn't quite fully ascended (rather apparent since his body hasn't been vaporized and he isn't a planet spanning consciousness yet), but he's slowly drawing closer.

• Chaos locked this topic