Tanavast's Return

Thanatos

Just now, Thanatos said:

Why would the Stormfather go is Tanavast goes?

The discussion that me and The One Who Connects had was about Tanavast merging with the Stormfather in order to keep him from dying due to the Recreance. 

And Stormlight is confirmed as pre-Honor. So if the Stormfather is the source of stormlight, he has to be pre-honor as well. 

The ecosystem relies on Stormlight heavily. Greatshells have gemhearts specifically for this reason. The entire ecosystem of the planet is built on spren bonds and the surges. If Stormlight dies, all that remains is Shinovar. 

Calderis.

Hmm something to consider.

Learn something new everyday.

Im still of the opinion Tanavast didnt need to merge with the Stormfather in order to stay on this side of the beyond. I just think he did it to better interact with things and people.

Hopefully this is explained in Oathbreaker.

1 minute ago, Thanatos said:

Calderis.

Hmm something to consider.

Learn something new everyday.

Im still of the opinion Tanavast didnt need to merge with the Stormfather in order to stay on this side of the beyond. I just think he did it to better interact with things and people.

Hopefully this is explained in Oathbreaker.

No one's saying he had to. He was a Sliver which guarantees he'd have been a Cognitive Shadow. 

That's why the question is why did he merge with the Stormfather? Not why did he have to. It was a choice. 

3 minutes ago, Calderis said:

No one's saying he had to. He was a Sliver which guarantees he'd have been a Cognitive Shadow. 

That's why the question is why did he merge with the Stormfather? Not why did he have to. It was a choice. 

All the evidence of personality is that the Strormfather absorbed Tanavasts CS. And Calderis I think out was because of the visions

I WAS REQUIRED TO SEND THOSE VISIONS ONCE THE TIME ARRIVED. THE ALMIGHTY DEMANDED IT OF ME. I COULD NO MORE DISOBEY THAN I COULD REFUSE TO BLOW THE WINDS.

But also potentially just to power-up the Stormfather. Add Honorvestiture to hi s Adonalstiture. I personally don't Helene he wa ever in danger from the Recreance for the reason I said elsewhere - he was too Connected to Roshar and all its inhabitants to ever be pulled properly into the Physical Realm (hence no Shardblade) therefore he was never trapped between the Realms.

32 minutes ago, Thanatos said:

Stormlight has nothing to do with the ecosystem from my understanding.

After stating that the ecosystem would be fine because Highstorms still existed, you can't say that. Highstorms are the source of Crem and Stormlight. Without those two things, Roshar grinds to a halt. I could make a flow-chart of just how ruined Roshar would be.

No Stormlight, no Gemstones. No gemstones, no Fabrials. No Fabrials, no Soulcast grain. Malnutrition, Mass Depopulation, Societal Collapse.
No Infused Gemstones, their use as currency goes out the window b/c counterfeits. Economic Collapse.
No Stormlight, no ambient Investiture. No ambient Investiture, no high healthiness. Medical Pandemics out the wazoo, Societal Collapse x2.
No Soulcasters, old-fashioned way only. You think the Desolations sent them back to the Stone Age? Just you wait.
No Stormlight, no Gemhearts. Greatshells as a whole could go extinct because they can't pupate anymore. No Lanceryns, no Chasmfiends, the Reshi Isles sink to the bottom of the sea(depending on how long the Tai-Na's legs are)
If the Apex predators go, their food source grows in population, and then overconsumes it's own food source, they go extinct from lack of food, and the cycle continues with a lower predator. It's a ripple effect, leading to multiple extinctions, since there's hardly any grass to support a herbivorous population boom if they lose their predators.
No Stormlight, no Listener Forms(they need Stormlight for their Spren bond right?). Entire way of life gone in a flash.
We have a WoB that Stormlight helps plants grow. I can't imagine what slower plant growth would do to the animal ecology, much less the human one.

So that's humanity collapsing economically, medically, technologically, and societally. The Parshendi way of life falls apart, as they'd be locked in birthform. If they aren't born in Mateform/Slaveform, they'd go extinct. Greatshells go extinct, potentially causing trickle-down extinction of the animal kingdom itself. Forget the conflict with Odium. Odium's entire existence becomes irrelevant if Stormlight disappears.

35 minutes ago, Thanatos said:

Is the Stormfather confirmed as pre-Honor? 

Everything except Surgebinding(and possibly Fabrials) has been confirmed as pre-Honor. Even Humans were on Roshar prior to the Shards arrival

14 minutes ago, Extesian said:

All the evidence of personality is that the Strormfather absorbed Tanavasts CS. And Calderis I think out was because of the visions

But also potentially just to power-up the Stormfather. Add Honorvestiture to hi s Adonalstiture. I personally don't Helene he wa ever in danger from the Recreance for the reason I said elsewhere - he was too Connected to Roshar and all its inhabitants to ever be pulled properly into the Physical Realm (hence no Shardblade) therefore he was never trapped between the Realms.

I agree with you completely. I was referencing a previous conversation with the one who Connects in which I made pretty much the same arguments your making and he was on the other side. 

And to The One Who I Can't Ping on Mobile (Bah) , that was a beautiful writeup on the full impact of what would happen if the Stormfather did die

Just now, Calderis said:

And to The One Who I Can't Ping on Mobile (Bah) ,

Try @ /// never mind, it only works with first word of username.I'm the only user with "connects", so I thought you could use that, but guess not.

2 minutes ago, Calderis said:

that was a beautiful writeup on the full impact of what would happen if the Stormfather did die

Thanks. I may have went a little overboard, but that seems par for the course sometimes. It's rather jarring when you think about it, seeing just how important one little thing is to the whole of creation. Brandon wasn't kidding when he said "environmental factors ARE magical components ."

3 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

After stating that the ecosystem would be fine because Highstorms still existed, you can't say that. Highstorms are the source of Crem and Stormlight. Without those two things, Roshar grinds to a halt. I could make a flow-chart of just how ruined Roshar would be.

No Stormlight, no Gemstones. No gemstones, no Fabrials. No Fabrials, no Soulcast grain. Malnutrition, Mass Depopulation, Societal Collapse.
No Infused Gemstones, their use as currency goes out the window b/c counterfeits. Economic Collapse.
No Stormlight, no ambient Investiture. No ambient Investiture, no high healthiness. Medical Pandemics out the wazoo, Societal Collapse x2.
No Soulcasters, old-fashioned way only. You think the Desolations sent them back to the Stone Age? Just you wait.
No Stormlight, no Gemhearts. Greatshells as a whole could go extinct because they can't pupate anymore. No Lanceryns, no Chasmfiends, the Reshi Isles sink to the bottom of the sea(depending on how long the Tai-Na's legs are)
If the Apex predators go, their food source grows in population, and then overconsumes it's own food source, they go extinct from lack of food, and the cycle continues with a lower predator. It's a ripple effect, leading to multiple extinctions, since there's hardly any grass to support a herbivorous population boom if they lose their predators.
No Stormlight, no Listener Forms(they need Stormlight for their Spren bond right?). Entire way of life gone in a flash.
We have a WoB that Stormlight helps plants grow. I can't imagine what slower plant growth would do to the animal ecology, much less the human one.

So that's humanity collapsing economically, medically, technologically, and societally. The Parshendi way of life falls apart, as they'd be locked in birthform. If they aren't born in Mateform/Slaveform, they'd go extinct. Greatshells go extinct, potentially causing trickle-down extinction of the animal kingdom itself. Forget the conflict with Odium. Odium's entire existence becomes irrelevant if Stormlight disappears.

Everything except Surgebinding(and possibly Fabrials) has been confirmed as pre-Honor. Even Humans were on Roshar prior to the Shards arrival

Agreed, one of best posts I've seen on here, man. Logical and simple. Before I saw your post I only came up with the fabrials and gemstones, and not as in depth as you went with them. 

But going back to the Harmony getting involved in Roshar, I'd like to bring up these WoB's

CHAOS

Can Sazed "will" himself to any Shardworld if he so desires?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes, he has the capacity for it. However, will he? Don't know. If he did there would be a lot of ramifications for it...

QUESTION

Is Harmony aware of events on Roshar?

BRANDON SANDERSON

[hesitantly] Yeeeeeeees, some of them.

PALADIN BREWER

I assume Sazed does not know the metal used in Lessie's spike because it's offworld, but Odium seems aware of Sazed/Harmony. Why is this?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Odium has a lot more knowledge that Sazed, he has had the power longer, and there are forces purposely trying to limit Harmony's knowledge.

With that, I doubt Harmony would be involved in something as complex and grand as putting a Shard back together. From the tone of the WoB's, Sazed has enough to worry about. 

• Chaos locked this topic