Larkins and Greatshells

Jondesu

So, from a source I hadn't seen before: http://coppermind.huiji.wiki/wiki/问答与访谈/WoP_2015#.E9.82.AE.E4.BB.B63, I found the following WoP:

Larkin and lanceryn
1. In WoK, Jasnah's mention of this lanceryn befuddled me a lot. We know that it is a kind of greatshell with gemhearts native to Aimia, but except this, we know nothing. The translator interpreted it as "lance-beast". I suspect he got it inspired because "lanceryn" is similar to "lance", which is a kind of weapon. I'd like to know whether this name origins from "lance" or not. If not, could you simply describe how this creature actually looks like, so I can come up with a new term? (I'm not sure if the former translator has ever contacted you.)
2. So larkins are more like flying insects? I imagine they are a mixture of crab (or any crustacean), wasp and little dragon. Is that okay? (Do larkins really have reddish/brown crusts?)

Peter

The lanceryn and larkin are two names for the same creature. When it says lanceryn, it’s definitely referring only to the enormous greatshell version that is believed to be extinct. The name is not related to “lance”…I think. The small larkin can be considered the cremling/larva version of the lanceryn.

The larkin are cremling/larva versions of lanceryn is the part that stuck out to me.  We don't really know much about the larkin yet, except their ability to suck Stormlight out of Radiants and proto-Radiants, but the idea that they eventually grew into greatshells is fascinating.  It makes me wonder what the first stages of something like the chasmfiends may look like; they could be much smaller than I originally assumed, and the massive pupating ones have already grown or use the highstorms to reach that size in an absurdly short period of time. (Thanks to @The One Who Connects for posting that link in a different thread, even though it was about a different WoP on that list).

I've been meaning to make a similar thread since I saw the link ;)

I agree, this could mean so many cool things. Do the grown lanceryn still have the ability to suck stormlight? Was their "extinction" somehow related or was it just about the gemhearts? 

I love Rysn already but this made me even more excited about her story. I'm not so sure she'll be a radiant after all.

If she gets to ride a Stormlight sucking greatshell, I don't care if she's not a Radiant.

Can they still fly when grown? Will she get to ride a flying Stormlight sucking greatshell? 

I'm kinda freaking out from the mental images right now. 

Edited by Calderis

Yea, this one bothered me too. I'm not actually sure who posted the link when I bookmarked it, so I can't give proper credit, but I noticed the Sparkflicker entry Botanica used for their art in there, so it's a starting point. I'll edit that in later if I find it.

• Chaos locked this topic