Why is Waxillium such a good Shot?

bruhsam

I piece of speculation that I have *not* seen is why Wax is so good with his hand guns.  He can make impossible shots. Even Miles Hundredlives comments on it.

So why is Wax so good with it? It's obviously not just because he's a Coinshot or it wouldn't be a point of discussion with the other characters.

Allomancy expands your mind. In Allomantic steel's case, it lets you see where metal is and give you convenient blue lines that show you where you can aim to hit someone (and probably helps your spatial awareness, going by half the things Kelsier pulled off). It should come as no surprise that Coinshots in general are good shots.

Plus, the blue lines are probably super convenient for hitting bullets in midair and helping you pull off "impossible" shots.

Wax is probably just naturally talented, and then had some Allomancy thrown into the mix to make him that much more impressive. I'm also pretty sure he's become a steel savant by now.

Edited by Moogle

Harmony probably tweaks a couple of shot for him just a little bit too. Or helps him get into that set of mind where its impossible to miss. Or guides his hands. Or puts his enemies in the right place. There's a ton of ways for a god to help with out calling down thunder and lightning.

Yeah, I would attribute it to a general increase in competence by being able to see what's going on with all his shots ("oh, that bullet landed 3 inches to the right of where I thought it would") and so be able to precisely calibrate his aim/skill, mainly, but Moogle also makes a good point that he likely has some help with targeting and spatial awareness in general from Allomantic steel.

Beyond that, I wouldn't be surprised if he was in the habit of unconsciously Pushing on the bullets a bit when necessary: throw in Kelsier-level abilities to Push on different parts of the object, and you could do some pretty fine-tuned trajectory correction that way.

EDIT:

@Leftinch

I highly doubt this, particularly because 99.9% of the time when he's fighting he likely doesn't have that earring in.

Edited by Kurkistan

I thought about the "double steel" spike possibility, but I don't feel any of the above explanations really get to the heart of the matter. He is an unusually skilled gunman by the standards of the world, and Harmony expressly states he can only interfere so much.

Side topic: Who thinks Bloody Tan was burning atium? EDIT: or someother time-future-sense from newly forming God Metal?

Edited by bruhsam

@Leftinch

I highly doubt this, particularly because 99.9% of the time when he's fighting he likely doesn't have that earring in.

That's far from proof. Harmony made sure that his guns and mistcloak were there in the subway station area.

Side topic: Who thinks Bloody Tan was burning atium? EDIT: or someother time-future-sense from newly forming God Metal?

Unfortunately, we have a direct WoB that he was not. I personally am a fan of the theory that he was burning electrum. He might also have turned himself into a Twinborn or something, as he did have a possible Hemalurgy lab. It's hard to say, and it's made worse by the fact that he's apparently still alive.

WoB:

ateistcanuck (14 November 2011)

Was Bloody Tan an atium misting?

Brandon Sanderson (14 November 2011)

No, he was not. Good question.

(source)

Edited by Moogle

That's far from proof. Harmony made sure that his guns and mistcloak were there in the subway station area.

It does pretty much knock down your "Or helps him get into that set of mind where its impossible to miss," though, and possibly "Or guides his hands" depending on how literal you were being.

Either way, I'll side with bruhsam that such a level of interference in the day-to-day seems rather un-Harmonic.

@bruhsam on Bloody Tan

Several people, and he wasn't.

And a change in the air pressure/causing a tiny breeze/ something else miniscule enough so that the bullet changes just a millimeter or two and a shot that might not have killed the badie quite quickly enough or something kills him perfectly takes very little change. Obviously this is all theoretical, but I like to defend my personnel fan beliefs.

And a change in the air pressure/causing a tiny breeze/ something else miniscule enough so that the bullet changes just a millimeter or two and a shot that might not have killed the badie quite quickly enough or something kills him perfectly takes very little change. Obviously this is all theoretical, but I like to defend my personnel fan beliefs.

Considering Wax isn't using a black powder pistol a tiny little breeze isn't going to do a whole lot. And if it only moved a millimeter or two it probably wouldn't make a huge difference. 

And he seems like an incredibly smart person. That being said, there are normal real humans who have been known to shoot over a mile and hit their target. Wax has a good understanding of physics and the limitations of Vindication  so I'm sure even without being a coinshot he could make some incredible shots, the fact that he's probably a savant as mentioned above just adds to his ridiculousness. The real question here is why is Wayne such a BAD shot?

Being a steel savant makes the most sense. Do you think he's a savant due to his steel "bubble" use? Continuous protection against bullets leads to savant status? Where are his side effects?

Yah, I like this. I don't think he is the savant level that Spook was, Spook pushed his senses hard for quite a while. I get the impression that Wax just has his a his bubble on just high enough to knock something slightly off course, but not enough to overly affect the rest of the world around him. And he only turns it on when he needs it.

However, I think that bubble might be enough to start him down the savant path, and could give him the extra ability that would justify his skills.

The spike is super old so I think it only holds enough charge to connect with Harmony.

Really? We know where it came from? I thought I read in the annotations or something that he got it from TenSoon, or someone. But I don't remember that it was old. 

On savants:

They are called Allomantic savants. Men or women who flare their metals so long, and so hard, that the constant influx of Allomantic power transforms their very physiology.

In most cases, with most metals, the effects of this are very slight. Bronze burners, for instance, often become bronze savants without knowing it. Their range is expanded from burning the metal so long. Becoming a pewter savant is dangerous, as it requires pushing the body so hard in a state where one cannot feel exhaustion or pain. Most accidentally kill themselves before the process is complete, and in my opinion, the benefit isn't worth the effort.

Tin savants, however . . . now, they are something special. Endowed with senses beyond what any normal Allomancer would need—or even want—they become slaves to what they touch, hear, see, smell, and taste. Yet, the abnormal power of these senses gives them a distinct, and interesting, advantage.

One could argue that, like an Inquisitor who has been transformed by a Hemalurgic spike, the Allomantic savant is no longer even human.

I'd find it likely that a steel misting who uses it a lot would become a savant, ala bronze, and that it would have a negligible—if even extant in any meaningful sense—affect on Wax other than making his use of Allomantic steel better.

---

So far as the earring goes, we know that they're from melted down Inquisitor spikes.

I thought Wax's skill with steel pushing and altering his weight is like Vin. She was preservation's chosen, so despite being small, her pushes and pulls were stronger and better manipulated. So Wax is Harmony's chosen, and un-naturally good with his abilities. 

• 2 weeks later...

The only time Wax makes an actually ridiculous shot as opposed to an awesome one, he is wearing the earring and was begging for a bit of help just before, so it's possible that's the only help he got from Harmony. The rest of the time can just be put down to natural ability and 20 years experience. Also, what would the downsides even be for steel savant? Small metallic objects move away from him?