Suspicious accessory in Hearthstone

mdross81

So, I know that not every minor character has to be someone mysterious. But I was looking through WoK recently and one small detail about Roshone’s steward, Natir jumped out at me:

A tall servant in a long black coat and a bright purple cravat greeted them. He was Natir, the steward now that Miliv had died. He’d been brought in from Dalilak, a large coastal city to the north.

For anyone who’s read MB Era 2, you can probably tell which word jumps out at me here. It’s the cravat, which is a fairly common fashion accessory in Era 2 Scadrial. But this is the only time we ever hear of someone wearing one on Roshar. And we actually hear quite a lot about Rosharan fashion in the SA books, so it just seems weird.

On the other hand, the scene is from Kal’s POV, and he presumably knows the word. So maybe it’s nothing.

The only other things we learn about Natir are that he’s got slender hands and is married to a stern-looking woman named Alaxia. Not a super Alethi-sounding name that.

We don’t ever see either of them again after WoK, so who knows if they’re still kicking around.

Anyway, probably scraping the bottom of the barrel here, but just throwing it out there since we’ve got a tall steward wearing an article of clothing we’ve only ever seen on Scadrial.

• 2 weeks later...

I get that it seems unlikely to be a standard Scadrian human.

And yet I also can’t ignore that smack in the middle of the dude’s name is the name of the original vessel of Ruin. So yeah, maybe someone with some koloss blood or someone magically altered in some way., 

2 hours ago, mdross81 said:

And yet I also can’t ignore that smack in the middle of the dude’s name is the name of the original vessel of Ruin. So yeah, maybe someone with some koloss blood or someone magically altered in some way., 

Or the reverse of Iyatil. A Rosharan who has spent a lot of time elsewhere and has returned with foreign tastes and manners.

1 hour ago, Oltux72 said:

Or the reverse of Iyatil. A Rosharan who has spent a lot of time elsewhere and has returned with foreign tastes and manners.

Good call.

RoW and Mistborn Secret History spoilers

Spoiler

Another similar idea that came to me is attenuated but fun. We know that the leader of the GB has encountered certain peoples from Sel. And ATI is the Aon for hope, something that leader once famously claimed to be. So maybe Natir is a GB operative.

If you would like to discuss RoW content, it should be in the RoW boards (at least until the spoiler period is over on the 17th). I will just move this there, since the OP wants to bring up RoW.