Speculations on the Skyward 3 novella POVs

Regent

Brandon said that book 3 will mostly be Spensa on the solo road again, so that's why we're getting 3 novellas alongside the book to get a glimpse of what's going on with our other characters. He did say in a live stream that he's co-writing with another author and he let her choose the viewpoints. He also said that FM's POV will most likely be one of them.

Here are my top guesses:

FM: I already mentioned above. 

Alanik (or someone from her planet's POV): One of the progress bars has the title of ReDawn so it makes sense. Also, we need more answers about Alanik and her people and I very much doubt Brandon will leave us hanging.

Cuna/Winzik/Brade: Tbh I really can't decide, but I feel like it would mostly be Cuna. I mean, we need some more insight about the Superiority now that Spin's off gallivanting in the Nowhere again.

Three novellas, three different people:
 FM for what's happening on Detritus and Alta.
 Alanik to give us answers on who and what her people are;
 And Cuna, Winzik, or Brade for more information about the Superiority.

How about you guys?

*YouTube Livestream 25 (Jan. 13, 2021)

**Cosmere.es Interview (April 22, 2021)

Edited by caramel_

I'm excited for FM, I'm hoping ReDawn is Alanik just before ending up crashing on Detritus, and while I'd like an Arturo POV, I think either Brade or Winzik are more likely. Unless we get something from one of the other human preserves, or whatever remains of the Phone Company either at the present or between the events of Defending Elysium and Skyward.

The other viewpoint characters will all be members of the Skyward Flight on Detritus, as it seems:

Brandon Sanderson

PART ONE: MAINFRAME ANNOUNCEMENTS

(...)

The final project I want to announce is an expansion to the Skyward series. The way the series has gone, the second book focused only on Spensa, without much of a look at the rest of Skyward Flight. As the third novel mostly continues Spensa’s story, I worried about how isolated from the rest of the team the narrative would feel.

Therefore, Janci Patterson and I have designed a sequence of three tie-in novellas to this series. These will each be from a different viewpoint, three members of the team back on Detritus, running parallel to Skyward Three and having some cool overlaps between them.

State of the Sanderson 2020 (Dec. 18, 2020)

That means there's not much to choose from. Besides FM, probably Kimmalyn and Jorgen, since those have been established as important characters and are popular with the fan base.

Given that one of the novellas is named ReDawn I'm pretty sure it will heavily involve Alanik even if she's not its focus character (but maybe she'd get a chapter or two from her perspective like we've seen Brandon do in other novellas), maybe with someone in Skyward Flight spending a lot of time around her and trying to learn about her and her people. Heck, that could work for Sadie as the newcomer of the group. Or possibly Jorgen since he's got cytonic talents and it would make sense for him to want to talk to someone who can tell him more, plus we know he wants to figure out how to follow Spensa and that means asking Alanik. Last possibility, we're overthinking the WoB and by virtue of being on Detritus, Alanik counts as part of 'the team back on Detritus'. Perhaps not likely given the stated intent of the novellas but come on, it's literally named after her planet.

And for our mystery novella, if it's got to be someone in Skyward Flight, come on, it's gotta be Kimmalyn. Consider how she looks to other people and what her thought process must be like. Now consider how much fun Brandon has had writing characters like that in the past... :D

17 hours ago, Weltall said:

And for our mystery novella, if it's got to be someone in Skyward Flight, come on, it's gotta be Kimmalyn. Consider how she looks to other people and what her thought process must be like. Now consider how much fun Brandon has had writing characters like that in the past... 

So true! I didn't think of that!

• 3 months later...