What Happens on Braize... Stays on Braize?

KSub

So we know Odium is invested on Braize. The Heralds and Fused go to Braize between desolations. And, we know there are Void spren as well.

Raboniel tells Navani,

The place is barren, devoid of life, merely a dark sky, endless windswept crags, and a broken landscape. And a lot of souls, a lot of not particularly sane souls. 

So what do you think happens on braize?

To me it sounds like Damnation on Mars. The Heralds endlessly pursued by the Fused across a dusty, barren expanse of rock. They never tire, and they heal from every injury. But their pursuers can never be killed either, and there are a lot of them. So it's just a never ending battle until one of the Heralds gives in and returns to Roshar condemning the world to another Desolation.

10 hours ago, KSub said:

So we know Odium is invested on Braize. The Heralds and Fused go to Braize between desolations. And, we know there are Void spren as well.

Raboniel tells Navani,

So what do you think happens on braize?

To me it sounds like Damnation on Mars. The Heralds endlessly pursued by the Fused across a dusty, barren expanse of rock. They never tire, and they heal from every injury. But their pursuers can never be killed either, and there are a lot of them. So it's just a never ending battle until one of the Heralds gives in and returns to Roshar condemning the world to another Desolation.

It's totally Mars in my mind. The only thing is the Fused don't have bodies of their own. Their original bodies died and they were free floating spirits in Cognitive Realm when Odium made them a deal, serve me and I'll give you persistent life. They need to bodysnatch from a living Singer on Roshar to get a body and there is no one alive on Braize except the cognitive shadows. 

The Heralds were still in their bodies when they were "killed" and became cognitive shadows. That's why they keep regrowing the same body instead of having to steal one. 

I don't think the Fused can do much more than scout Heralds zipping around as ribbons of light like the Pursuer does.  The Thunderclasts, however, there is plenty of rock to inhabit. 

Then again I could be totally wrong and since Odium is on Braize he could just make bodies for the Fused to inhabit on Braize. But if he did that why do they need to bodysnatch on Roshar if they already had bodies on Braize?  Maybe the Barrier Storm has something to do with why they have to slip through without a body.

1 hour ago, Honorless said:

This... gives me an idea for an ending of Stormlight where the conflict is solved by... making Braize habitable and either humans or Singers migrating there.

That could work. I'm for the more "Unite Them" Singers and Humans live together. Although, if Braize is made more Earth-like I'd rather live on the non-highstorm planet if I was a human (which I totally am ;) )

My prediction for Book 5 is Shinovar gets trashed, removing the only human-friendly ecology. Based on the following Death Rattle.

"A man stood on a cliffside and watched his homeland fall into dust. The waters surged beneath, so far beneath. And he heard a child crying. They were his own tears." WoK Ch. 3 epigraph

We've seen something similar with Dalinar watching Kholinar get obliterated in the last vision of WoK. But that is of the possible future that Tanavast feared would happen.  "It's what I fear will happen. It's what he wants." - WoK CH. 75

Edited by Child of Hodor

1 hour ago, Honorless said:

This... gives me an idea for an ending of Stormlight where the conflict is solved by... making Braize habitable and either humans or Singers migrating there.

(^Honorless- incognito Brandon account looking for ideas)

The problem with Braize is Odium is there. Plus it's implied that it is outside the habitable zone. I'm not so sure about this. It could just be devoid of life. But either way it seems problematic for the narrative to be that Humans live separate from the singers. It has kind of a segregation vibe to it.

Edited by KSub

Do we know what Realm the Heralds are in when on Braize? I’ve assumed the Physical in the past because of, you know, torture.

But as @Child of Hodor points out above, the Fused are likely in the cognitive realm on Braize. And as we know from SH cognitive torture feels real. So maybe the whole sadistic game of hide and seek is all in the cognitive. So much we still don’t know about the mechanics of the Oathpact.

One other question to throw out there. Do you think the Heralds have their Honorblades while on Braize?

3 minutes ago, Child of Hodor said:

It's totally Mars in my mind. The only thing is the Fused don't have bodies of their own. Their original bodies died and they were free floating spirits in Cognitive Realm when Odium made them a deal, serve me and I'll give you persistent life. They need to bodysnatch from a living Singer on Roshar to get a body and there is no one alive on Braize except the cognitive shadows. 

The Heralds were still in their bodies when they were "killed" and became cognitive shadows. That's why they keep regrowing the same body instead of having to steal one. 

I don't think the Fused can do much more than scout Heralds zipping around as ribbons of light like the Pursuer does.  The Thunderclasts, however, there is plenty of rock to inhabit. 

Then again I could be totally wrong and since Odium is on Braize he could just make bodies for the Fused to inhabit on Braize. But if he did that why do they need to bodysnatch on Roshar if they already had bodies on Braize?  Maybe the Barrier Storm has something to do with why they have to slip through without a body.

Good point. I forgot the fused don't have bodies. So what is the threat to the heralds. Certainly Odium could be haunting them as he does Kaladin but I feel like there needs to be more. It could be the thunderclasts. 

Sorry for the double post I couldn't add anything when I tried to edit.

5 minutes ago, mdross81 said:

Do we know what Realm the Heralds are in when on Braize? I’ve assumed the Physical in the past because of, you know, torture.

But as @Child of Hodor points out above, the Fused are likely in the cognitive realm on Braize. And as we know from SH cognitive torture feels real. So maybe the whole sadistic game of hide and seek is all in the cognitive. So much we still don’t know about the mechanics of the Oathpact.

One other question to throw out there. Do you think the Heralds have their Honorblades while on Braize?

That's entirely possible. So it's a battle in the cognitive realm. I think they must. I feel like they could be summoned like shardblades. If not they would be nearly defenseless fighting hand to hand.

5 hours ago, KSub said:

That's entirely possible. So it's a battle in the cognitive realm. I think they must. I feel like they could be summoned like shardblades. If not they would be nearly defenseless fighting hand to hand.

excuse me, the heralds spend more time on Braize then roshar, so if they're doing hand to hand they'd be better because of how much practice they would have with a sword. notes the scene where nale pops up and tries to attack dalinar, and almost kills him without use of his shards

49 minutes ago, Shob the Voidbringer said:

excuse me, the heralds spend more time on Braize then roshar, so if they're doing hand to hand they'd be better because of how much practice they would have with a sword. notes the scene where nale pops up and tries to attack dalinar, and almost kills him without use of his shards

I don't know what you're trying to say.

But magic sword beats rock.

1 hour ago, KSub said:

I don't know what you're trying to say.

But magic sword beats rock.

I think she/he/it/they are trying to say that if they were fighting hand to hand they would be really good at fighting hand to hand. Gosh that doens't make sense. Let me try and rephrase my rephrase. Because the Heralds spend more time on Braize then they do Roshar (which I'm not so sure about) and they didn't have swords then they'd be quite good at fighting hand to hand because of the "practice" they have had.

I'm still trying to get the full picture.

From @Child of Hodors thread we get the idea that Honor placed some of his power into the cognitive realm on Braize to create the Everstorm to block the Fused from returning. This makes it sound like the Dor on Sel. 

So Braize in the physical realm doesn't support life and the Fused don't have bodies. But do the Heralds go to the physical realm? It would be torture just to exist there, no air to breathe, permanent frostbite, but your body is healing enough that you won't die. Odium doesn't need to do anything or place agents on Braize to deal with the Heralds. Eventually they will give in to the agony of existing like this.

Or, the Heralds, like the Fused, get pulled to the cognitive realm on Braize. Their spirits battle endlessly as lightning crashes overhead, until one of them returns to Roshar and the war continues in the physical realm.