Alternate Site Skins

Tempus

I know Invision has the power to allow users to choose alternate site skins. I was wondering if the admins would be interested in enabling alternate skins to allow users to choose from a wider variety?

I went ahead and spent about 15 making three mockups, just a quick copy-paste and some colour changes. The first is based on Mistborn YA cover, the second on the Shai art for Emperor's Soul, and the last on the recently defunct Stormblessed.com's images (which I thought was very pretty). In addition, we could probably update the blurry stars background on the current theme to something a little crisper, but that's beside the issue. Mockups below, along with the original for direct comparison.

Again, not actual submissions, just very quick and dirty mockups showing what could be doable.

post-9419-0-08942200-1401858586_thumb.pnpost-9419-0-23760000-1401858609_thumb.pnpost-9419-0-66441900-1401858649_thumb.pnpost-9419-0-12297600-1401858698_thumb.pn

Edited by Tempus

They are possible, but it takes significant graphics and coding development. We optimize this skin a lot and I wouldn't be happy with others unless they got a lot of the optimizations too. There's also another concern that if I want to push a change, you'd have to do that for three or four skins. And deciding the correct color choices is nontrivial.

Like, you don't know how many templates and CSS files IPB skins have XD It is not as easy to implement as you'd think to have them look coherent.

EDIT: Not to say this skin is perfect. It isn't. The background is bad and we know it. Art upgrades and other cool things are coming, but they are slow. (The glyph mockup you have is cool, but I think you'll like what will happen with the glyphs eventually) Seeing how slow this process is, I don't want to slow it down by adding more skins to deal with.

However, it is possible and is probably on the roadmap. It has been brought up before, but the issue is mostly logistical in nature.

EDIT2: Oh, forgot to say, those mockups are still pretty great from a high end view.

I'm aware of many of those issues, Chaos. My idea was to re-utilize the core CSS of the current theme, and simply change a few images. By using CSS variables to take care of the colours, it would be reasonably simple to update - just use the variable for any new CSS additions, push to all themes, and it should propagate correctly.

If you'd like me to help with glyphs, CSS, or background images, I'd be happy to. I bet Awesomeness would dig making some site graphics as well, if you want more helpers. Feel free to let me know if I can assist.