Investiture Rocket Launcher

basement_boi

To be explosive, the anti-Investiture/Investiture reaction has to be within a storage vessel; usually a gem. I'm guessing the release of energy from gem stored Investiture meeting anti-Investiture isn't as great as could be achieved by direct use of the Investiture.

Then again, I'm not sure how much of a Star Trek fan BS is. He could very well be planning on replicating the matter/anti-matter reaction within dilithium crystals for warp drives right in front of us.

10 hours ago, Leuthie said:

To be explosive, the anti-Investiture/Investiture reaction has to be within a storage vessel; usually a gem. I'm guessing the release of energy from gem stored Investiture meeting anti-Investiture isn't as great as could be achieved by direct use of the Investiture.

Then again, I'm not sure how much of a Star Trek fan BS is. He could very well be planning on replicating the matter/anti-matter reaction within dilithium crystals for warp drives right in front of us.

But the release of energy from Investiture is usually of a specific type, not outward kinetic energy. It's the combination of the two that creates such a large explosion. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if [BoM]

Spoiler

The southern Scadrialans had made their ettmetal bombs out of Ettmetal and anti-Ettmetal, since the Set hadn't been able to make as powerful weapons, this could be because they don't have anti-ettmetal. 

Either way, the release investiture is usually very specific to the magic system, and so far we don't know of any that directly cause explosions unless you count soulcasting something into both oil and fire, but I don't think that really counts

Yolen had an issue with magic that could cause nuclear explosions. I suspect that once technology and scientific methods catch up, the direct conversion of Investiture to energy will be probably be made trivial. Direct conversion will be much more efficient and easier than tricks like anti-Investiture.

I suspect that gaseous Investiture (like Stormlight) takes up Physical space. When it's annihilated by anti-Investiture, a temporary vacuum is created by it no longer taking up that space. The pressures created by this vacuum are very small. In open space, the filling of the vacuum barely creates a breeze. However, in a solid object like a gem, the vacuum causes an instant collapse of solid material. The resulting inward movement results in impacts that generate equivalent outward momentum. Since the path of least resistance is outward, an explosion is the result. A lot of energy is lost in the interactions of the particles before moving outward.

Could go a step further: Energy doesn't have mass when it has momentum, however when it's still, it has mass and that mass has a conversion formula (E=mc^2). Free Investiture may not even take up space, resulting in no breeze when it's annihilated by anti-Investiture. However, Investiture stored in a gem does take up space, resulting in the above explosion. In any case, the explosion as a result of anti-Investiture/Investiture annihilation is a physical reaction to a vacuum with a linear relationship to volume and pressure.

We don't have anything that would help us determine the conversion between Investiture and Energy (Investiture equivalent to E=mc^2). I would put money on it having a similar exponential relationship though (I = Eħ^2, for instance, with ħ being the reduced Plank constant used in uncertainty equations in quantum mechanics). This exponential relationship would render the physical linear relationship explosion the equivalent of dynamite with the direct conversion of Investiture being a hydrogen bomb.

But that's just me.