Book recommendation

Khaz

Help! I’ve read all of Sanderson's books I’m interested in (Cosmere and Skyward) and I need something new. I love fantasy books. Besides Sanderson's books I like His Dark Materials and stuff like Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones. Has somebody a good book recommendation for me? I need something to distract me while my toddler of destruction brings destruction upon me. :wacko:

13 minutes ago, Khaz said:

Help! I’ve read all of Sanderson's books I’m interested in (Cosmere and Skyward) and I need something new. I love fantasy books. Besides Sanderson's books I like His Dark Materials and stuff like Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones. Has somebody a good book recommendation for me? I need something to distract me while my toddler of destruction brings destruction upon me. :wacko:

You done WHeel of Time yet?

23 minutes ago, Khaz said:

Nope. Is it worth it? Asking because it’s a looooong series. 

Maybe. It gets slow in the middle, and some of the characters really irritated me, but overall it's an excellent series.

I'd say start the first book, and if you like it, keep going. Remember, there's no obligation to finish reading a book if you don't like the start.

21 minutes ago, BreezeCauthon said:

Personally, I loved Wheel of Time. Go for it.

Have you read Christopher Paolini's Inheritance Cycle? It gets a lot of bad rep for being too generic, but I didn't have a problem with that and really liked it.

Read through it back in the day. Kinda want more Mistborn though. :'D

Finding a new book series is really tough. Most of the things I find online look so generic. xD

7 hours ago, Khaz said:

Read through it back in the day. Kinda want more Mistborn though. :'D

Finding a new book series is really tough. Most of the things I find online look so generic. xD

Try Lightbringer, it has a interesting and hard magic system, plus the books are 500ish? pages long and there are 6 or 7 books with more coming, it is bad mouthed, but not terrible. It has quite a few twists.

I recommend Terry Pratchett's Discworld wholeheartedly. There's a lot of material there if you decide you like it (something around 40 books, I believe) but they're not in the same series, just the same world - you can read as many or as few as you like without missing much. The first one is called the Color of Magic. They're ridiculous and a lot of fun.

If you haven't read The Name of the Wind, by Patrick Rothfuss, that one's also great. The worldbuilding, plot, and characters are all pretty good, but where he really shines is his remarkable prose. If you're used to Sanderson's matter-of-fact style, it can come as a welcome shock. (Nothing against Brandon, of course.)

If you're looking to branch out from fantasy, you may like Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game (and sequels). It's quite famous, so it's possible you've already read it, but if you haven't it's well worth a look. 

Another non-fantasy recommendation: Philippa Gregory's The Red Queen (and sequels). It's historical fiction set during the War of the Roses (medieval England), and is quite well written and engaging. Each book tells the story of the war from another woman's point of view, and it's really cool to compare and contrast.

I'll leave it at that for now. I may be able to come up with some more if I put my mind to it, but this is a good list to begin with.