Oakenwey: Thorns & Arrows

Zephrun’s Imperium

3 minutes ago, Lecky Twig said:

"We're all in this together." He called out to Kess in the kitchen, "There's a tray of food in here if you're hungry." 

"Yeah, and thanks." She goes over, sits, and starts to eat the food on the tray, still looking extremely tired.

4 minutes ago, AmazingGoob said:

"Yeah, and thanks." She goes over, sits, and starts to eat the food on the tray, still looking extremely tired.

"Did you sleep at all last night? We've kinda got a long day ahead. We'll start by getting you guys a change of clothes and other supplies, then we'll go to the house that Selene and I lived in together as planned." He turned  towards Kieran "Did you find any of that charcoal?" he asked. 

Rose picked herself up, head hung with embarrassment. "I'm going upstairs..." she muttered, ducking out. It was like she could feel their eyes on her. She hated it. Each one of them would now spend the rest of the mission thinking of her as the emotional weak link. With a scoff, she went back into the room she'd slept in and sprawled out on the bed, staring up at the ceiling. 

The tears returned to her here.

They were soft this time. Quiet. Like little droplets of rain, leaving trails on the sides of her face. She wanted to hide. To disappear. To fade away. To just... stop existed. A grim desire, perhaps, but... Storms, what a fool she was. She'd hardly spent a day with these people and had already ruined any chance of them seeing her normally.

1 hour ago, Lecky Twig said:

"Did you sleep at all last night? We've kinda got a long day ahead. We'll start by getting you guys a change of clothes and other supplies, then we'll go to the house that Selene and I lived in together as planned." He turned  towards Kieran "Did you find any of that charcoal?" he asked. 

"I slept fine. I'm just not a morning person, give me a couple minutes."

12 minutes ago, Shard of Thought said:

Rose picked herself up, head hung with embarrassment. "I'm going upstairs..." she muttered, ducking out. It was like she could feel their eyes on her. She hated it. Each one of them would now spend the rest of the mission thinking of her as the emotional weak link. With a scoff, she went back into the room she'd slept in and sprawled out on the bed, staring up at the ceiling. 

The tears returned to her here.

They were soft this time. Quiet. Like little droplets of rain, leaving trails on the sides of her face. She wanted to hide. To disappear. To fade away. To just... stop existed. A grim desire, perhaps, but... Storms, what a fool she was. She'd hardly spent a day with these people and had already ruined any chance of them seeing her normally.

"What happened to her? Like, wow, she is seriously mixed up in the head." She pauses for a moment. "Hmm... perhaps you should do some digging into her past. For safety purposes."

Edited by AmazingGoob

1 hour ago, AmazingGoob said:

"I slept fine. I'm just not a morning person, give me a couple minutes."

"What happened to her? Like, wow, she is seriously mixed up in the head." She pauses for a moment. "Hmm... perhaps you should do some digging into her past. For safety purposes."

“Probably wise. Although I doubt getting her to open up to us will be easy, I ended up pinned to floor last time I tried.” He grimaced.

”I think I should go upastairs to check in on her, I wouldn’t want my bounty hunter trying to harm herself or anything like that. Plus, I left my hat slip there and need to retrieve it before we leave.” Jahora stopped in the doorway as he walked out of the room and called back “Be ready to leave when I come back down.”

Jabora tapped softly on his door then entered his room. He grabbed Tydel’s hat from its place on the desk then sat at the end of the bed. “I think it’s time you let go of some of your pain” he said. “keeping it bottled up inside isn’t helping you. I’m worried that the pressure inside your bottle is still building; I’m worried that if you don’t release it, then sooner or later, it will...” His voice turned into a hoarse whisper “I’m worried it will explode.” He finished, then he squeezed his eyes right and swallowed audibly as he braved himself for Rose’s reaction.

4 minutes ago, Shard of Thought said:

Rose shut her eyes, pretending that her efforts to shut out the world were working. "Go away," she said. "You know nothing."

Having followed Jahora, Kess says "Well maybe if you informed us of literally anything that would change."

10 minutes ago, Shard of Thought said:

Rose shut her eyes, pretending that her efforts to shut out the world were working. "Go away," she said. "You know nothing."

“I’m not going to go away.”

Just now, Shard of Thought said:

Rose sat up, exasperated. "Maybe I don't want you to know anything about me, hmm?"

“Maybe I don’t. But your still going to have to tell me about it.”

2 minutes ago, Lecky Twig said:

“Maybe I don’t. But you're still going to have to tell me about it.”

"Exactly," Rose snapped. "See? You don't care about me. The only reason you acted kind and nice to me was because you want to use me to help you extract revenge on a lass who was unfortunate enough to break your heart. I told you: People don't just help other people. They do it because they're going to get something out of it." 

Just now, AmazingGoob said:

"Sure, that's what you want. But that's not what you need."

"What the hell could you know about what I need?"

1 minute ago, Shard of Thought said:

Exactly," Rose snapped. "See? You don't care about me. The only reason you acted kind and nice to me was because you want to use me to help you extract revenge on a lass who was unfortunate enough to break your heart. I told you: People don't just help other people. They do it because they're going to get something out of it."

“Selene kill my brother.”

Just now, Shard of Thought said:

"Exactly," Rose snapped. "See? You don't care about me. The only reason you acted kind and nice to me was because you want to use me to help you extract revenge on a lass who was unfortunate enough to break your heart. I told you: People don't just help other people. They do it because they're going to get something out of it." 

"What the hell could you know about what I need?"

"Because it's unhealthy not having any friends, and your insistence that everyone is out for themselves is beginning to get under my skin!"

2 minutes ago, AmazingGoob said:

"Because it's unhealthy not having any friends, and your insistence that everyone is out for themselves is beginning to get under my skin!"

Rose growled, and a desk in the corner began to rattle dangerously.

3 minutes ago, Lecky Twig said:

“Selene killed my brother.”

At Jahora's words, however, she paused. Brother. Images and memories stirred in her head.

Granite Oakenwey was a nice kid. He was an energetic fireball, but he was a sweet - if smart-alecky and a bit manipulative - little brother. He'd been annoying at times, growing up; his insatiable curiosity about what had happened to Mother and Father was frustrating. But he'd been Rose's only true family for most of her life. Until, that is, he disappeared. Abandoned her, just like Mother. In many ways, it was a far worse betrayal than what her parents had done. 

She'd seen Granite again, just weeks ago. He'd found Mother, like he always dreamed about, and he'd reveled in all the mystical secrets that had been revealed to him. Rose though... Rose had shied away from it. Buried it. The feelings were raw. And yet... What if Granite hadn't just left? What if he'd died? What if she'd truly been left alone? 

"That's... awful," Rose said. "I'm so sorry."

4 minutes ago, Shard of Thought said:

Rose growled, and a desk in the corner began to rattle dangerously.

At Jahora's words, however, she paused. Brother. Images and memories stirred in her head.

Granite Oakenwey was a nice kid. He was an energetic fireball, but he was a sweet - if smart-alecky and a bit manipulative - little brother. He'd been annoying at times, growing up; his insatiable curiosity about what had happened to Mother and Father was frustrating. But he'd been Rose's only true family for most of her life. Until, that is, he disappeared. Abandoned her, just like Mother. In many ways, it was a far worse betrayal than what her parents had done. 

She'd seen Granite again, just weeks ago. He'd found Mother, like he always dreamed about, and he'd reveled in all the mystical secrets that had been revealed to him. Rose though... Rose had shied away from it. Buried it. The feelings were raw. And yet... What if Granite hadn't just left? What if he'd died? What if she'd truly been left alone? 

"That's... awful," Rose said. "I'm so sorry."

Kess frowns and opens her mouth to reply before Jahora reveals the true reason for the bounty. She shuts her trap, before squeaking out an "Oh."

1 hour ago, Shard of Thought said:

That's... awful," Rose said. "I'm so sorry.

1 hour ago, AmazingGoob said:

Oh."

“Yeah.” Jahora whispered after a drawn out moment of silence. “Rose, can you tell me about the grudge you hold against your family?” Hopefully changing up his question would make Rose more inclined to answer. He had been reluctant to let loose about his brother’s death but hoped that bit of intel would prove to Rose that he trusted her, therefore she could afford to spare some trust for him, hopefully.

On 30/01/2021 at 10:04 AM, xinoehp512 said:

Jared nodded impatiently and followed.

The two set off.

Through the experience he’d had in the bounty business, Nekri had found that it paid to know the local roads. While the commercial route would have taken upwards of three days, the path they took now cut straight through thick marshlands — but they’d be at Dox-Marina by sundown.

“So,” he called out while they rode, avoiding branches that were too low. “Who is this woman you’re looking for anyway? Lover?”

6 hours ago, Lecky Twig said:

“Yeah.” Jahora whispered after a drawn out moment of silence. “Rose, can you tell me about the grudge you hold against your family?” Hopefully changing up his question would make Rose more inclined to answer. He had been reluctant to let loose about his brother’s death but hoped that bit of intel would prove to Rose that he trusted her, therefore she could afford to spare some trust for him, hopefully.

Rose sighed. She wasn't angry anymore, nor was she particularly afraid. But she still wasn't about to tell Jahora her past. "I can tell you," she said. "But I see no reason why I should. Why are you so intent upon knowing? I don't understand."

5 hours ago, Shard of Thought said:

Rose sighed. She wasn't angry anymore, nor was she particularly afraid. But she still wasn't about to tell Jahora her past. "I can tell you," she said. "But I see no reason why I should. Why are you so intent upon knowing? I don't understand."

"because keeping everything that's ailing you yourself is frankly doing more bad that good. Look at yourself!" He exclaimed. "you're a wreck! Keeping it all bottled upinside isnt doimg anhone any good. I need you on this hunt Rose, but you're in no syaye to go around killing people at the moment; I wont allow it. Please, do everyone a favor and just let go of some of your past." 

9 hours ago, I think I am here. said:

The two set off.

Through the experience he’d had in the bounty business, Nekri had found that it paid to know the local roads. While the commercial route would have taken upwards of three days, the path they took now cut straight through thick marshlands — but they’d be at Dox-Marina by sundown.

“So,” he called out while they rode, avoiding branches that were too low. “Who is this woman you’re looking for anyway? Lover?”

"No," replied Jared. "Sister."

1 hour ago, Lecky Twig said:

"because keeping everything that's ailing you yourself is frankly doing more bad that good. Look at yourself!" He exclaimed. "you're a wreck! Keeping it all bottled up inside isn't doing anyone any good. I need you on this hunt Rose, but you're in no state to go around killing people at the moment; I won't allow it. Please, do everyone a favor and just let go of some of your past." 

Rose hung her head. She couldn't deny the truth of his words "Fine, I'll tell you." Only the basics, but I will tell you. "My parents abandoned me and my little brother when I was eight. My father had disappeared, so my mother dropped us off at our aunt and uncle's house and left to go find him. She never came back. And so, my aunt and uncle were forced to raise two extra children they barely had the money to support. I was largely neglected in the eleven years I spent living there. But the real problem was that my powers began manifesting and they terrified me. I had nightmares, fainted often, and claimed to see objects move on their own. My aunt and uncle thought I was insane and they locked me away." Her gaze hardened. "Do you have idea how badly they treat people who are unsure about their own reality?"

Edited by Shard of Thought

7 hours ago, xinoehp512 said:

"No," replied Jared. "Sister."

Nekri nodded, stifling a stab of annoyance. He didn’t talk much, this Jared, though Nekri supposed that was typical for someone who practised ‘Silence’ as a literal magic.

The grey, dreary town of Dox-Marina appeared in the distance. Apparently run by a corrupt lord, the place was a perfectly boring town. Which made it great for someone to hide in it.

“And she’s hiding from you... why?”

9 hours ago, Shard of Thought said:

Rose hung her head. She couldn't deny the truth of his words "Fine, I'll tell you." Only the basics, but I will tell you. "My parents abandoned me and my little brother when I was eight. My father had disappeared, so my mother dropped us off at our aunt and uncle's house and left to go find him. She never came back. And so, my aunt and uncle were forced to raise two extra children they barely had the money to support. I was largely neglected in the eleven years I spent living there. But the real problem was that my powers began manifesting and they terrified me. I had nightmares, fainted often, and claimed to see objects move on their own. My aunt and uncle thought I was insane and they locked me away." Her gaze hardened. "Do you have idea how badly they treat people who are unsure about their own reality?"

Jahora nodded slowly "Thanks, for sharing that with us. I have heard stories about the treatment of those people, but I have no personal experience regarding that topic. You don't need to be terrified of your powers, they are apart of you. There's no point being scared of yourself because frankly, you're not that scary. However, I do what it feels like to not belong in a family. My father left home as well, if that's any comfort...which it probably isn't." He knew where his father had gone, although part of him wished that Benja had just disappeared like Rose's did; he'd probably still be with his family if that was the case. "I assure you Rose that I am not like them I will not treat you like they did. But tell me one more thing, who do you hate? Your mother, your father? your aunt and uncle? everyone?" 

she never came back...That was probably how his younger siblings, Violet and Andy, had felt when Jahora had left home and never came back. Little of their love for him was genuine, but they still would have missed him. They probably would have felt like Rose did when her Mother left. He had seen his siblings once since he left them, that had been at Andy's death and because of that encounter, he had no intention of seeing Violet again. At least, not until Andy had been avenged. 

7 hours ago, I think I am here. said:

Nekri nodded, stifling a stab of annoyance. He didn’t talk much, this Jared, though Nekri supposed that was typical for someone who practised ‘Silence’ as a literal magic.

The grey, dreary town of Dox-Marina appeared in the distance. Apparently run by a corrupt lord, the place was a perfectly boring town. Which made it great for someone to hide in it.

“And she’s hiding from you... why?”

Jared bristled. "She's not hiding from me. Her memory was wiped, and she doesn't remember me anymore. That's all."