Oakenwey: Thorns & Arrows

Zephrun’s Imperium

Rose scoffed. "At least your family showed you love at all," she snapped. Their love drove you mad? she thought. My guardians made me think I was insane, made me doubt my own reality. I still can't hardly tell what's real and what's false. She didn't care that Kieran could hear her. In fact, she was glad to get it off her chest to a third party. It brought her more relief than she would have thought. Not significant relief, but relief all the same. 

Edited by Shard of Thought

7 hours ago, Shard of Thought said:

Rose scoffed. "At least your family showed you love at all," she snapped. Their love drove you mad? she thought. My guardians made me think I was insane, made me doubt my own reality. I still can't hardly tell what's real and what's false. She didn't care that Kieran could hear her. In fact, she was glad to get it off her chest to a third party. It brought her more relief than she would have thought. Not significant relief, but relief all the same. 

Jahora laughed, not needing Kieran's ability to imagine Rose's next thoughts "Nah, they had weird ways of expressing their love, you wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of it, trust me. I've had a rough run when it comes to love." 

p.s Jahora thinks that Rose is thinking something along the lines of 'their love drove you mad? I wish I had that in my life." 

12 hours ago, xinoehp512 said:

With a final sneer, Cynthia jumps, using the winds to break the window and lift her away.

Nekri slammed into a wall with a gust of wind, his knife clattering onto the floor beside him. A needle of pain shot up his back and he could hear the wood behind him snapping. As soon as he hit the wall, all of his illusions flickered and disappeared — even the ones he used to hide himself, though he immediately replaced them with new illusions. He groaned, watching the attacker talk with Jared and fly off, leaving the both of them beaten.

Stars and shadows, Nekri would need to prepare in case he ever saw her again. She’d won far too easily.

“Who was that?” He called out to Jared, standing up slowly, using the wall behind him for support. To lighten the mood — Nekri always thought the mood needed lightening after a battle — he took on the lady’s appearance, tried to mimic her voice as well. Like Jared’s it was odd, somehow, in a way Nekri couldn’t describe.

Look at me, he said with her face and voice, grinning at Jared. I’m so big and bad and scary and I shoot, like, tornadoes out of my hand. I’m so strong, that’s why I tried to sneak up on you and stab you. Good thing you’re ol’ pal Nekri here could save you, eh? I think he deserves some kind of reward for that. Monetary, preferably.

@xinoehp512

Edited by I think I am here.

To clarify, all of the inverted speaking came from Jared. The woman was just talking normally. 

Jared sank into a chair, breathing heavily, clutching his side. Something was definitely wrong. A normal wound would not have been this painful, nor would it have been as hard as this to stabilize.

Mordite blade, he thought grimly. Of course it would be. Well, at least it wouldn't kill him.

28 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

Look at me, he said with her face and voice, grinning at Jared. I’m so big and bad and scary and I shoot, like, tornadoes out of my hand. I’m so strong, that’s why I tried to sneak up on you and stab you. Good thing you’re ol’ pal Nekri here could save you, eh? I think he deserves some kind of reward for that. Monetary, preferably.

Jared jumped at the voice. He glared at Nekri and summoned his Silent Blade-

Pain shot through him, breaking his concentration and sending him into a gasping fit.

13 hours ago, Lecky Twig said:

Jahora laughed, not needing Kieran's ability to imagine Rose's next thoughts "Nah, they had weird ways of expressing their love, you wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of it, trust me. I've had a rough run when it comes to love." 

"Huh. That's terrible- I'm glad my parents weren't as sucky as all of yours."

1 hour ago, AmazingGoob said:

"Huh. That's terrible- I'm glad my parents weren't as sucky as all of yours."

"Oh, my parents didn't suck," Jahora said, gesturing profusely "they were just an odd bunch of people, a little misguided." A small pang of longing filled his heart, he didn't miss family as a whole, but he did miss his brothers, and sister. It'd been ages since they'd seen each other, and it'd probably be ages until they saw each other again. He wouldn't be able to face his family until he had dealt with Selene.

1 hour ago, Lecky Twig said:

"Oh, my parents didn't suck," Jahora said, gesturing profusely "they were just an odd bunch of people, a little misguided." A small pang of longing filled his heart, he didn't miss family as a whole, but he did miss his brothers, and sister. It'd been ages since they'd seen each other, and it'd probably be ages until they saw each other again. He wouldn't be able to face his family until he had dealt with Selene.

"Fair enough. Anyway, should we stop talking about our personal lives and start on the bounty? Or is the deal off?"

8 minutes ago, AmazingGoob said:

"Fair enough. Anyway, should we stop talking about our personal lives and start on the bounty? Or is the deal off?"

Jahora groaned inside, but Kess was right, he'd have to start talking about the bounty eventually "The deal is still on. Selene has been on my hit list for a few years, but I couldn't really get around to organising a bounty for her until Rose showed up in the industry. She used to work at a gambling den that got burnt down, then she trapiezed around the slums as a good samaritan for a few years until I parted ways with her, but I have absolutely no idea what she's done with her life since. She's about my age, blonde hair, green eyes, average height, this would be alot easier if I had her file." 

13 hours ago, xinoehp512 said:

To clarify, all of the inverted speaking came from Jared. The woman was just talking normally. 

My bad :P

Nekri flinched back at the magic sword, then glared at Jared when the effects of his injury began to show. He hadn’t liked the way Jared had stared at him, sword in hand. And if that battle with the tornado lady was anything to go by, he wasn’t an amateur with it by any means.

Nekri stared at Jared, walking forward slowly, shifting his appearance to match some random street boy, his gaze softening. He may have not been an amateur with it before, but now it seemed like the man couldn’t even summon his blade.

“That lady really messed you up, eh?” he asked in a normal voice - not his own, though - and nodded to Jared’s wound.

“You, uh, got some kind of bounty on you or something? Not that I’d care, of course. I never kill people I’ve just met. It’s a rule.” It was a blatant, bald-faced lie. If Jared had a bounty on him high enough to attract hard-hitters like that woman, well... Nekri needed money. He tilted his head, continuing to shift his features in a chaotic tumble.

@xinoehp512

Rose rolled her eyes. "I was unconscious, Jahora, what did you expect me to do? We don't have the file, so you're just going to have to tell us what you know, no matter how much you don't like it." She folded her arms. The way he reacted to their bounty was odd, anyone could see that much. Whatever relationship they'd had, it was certainly messy.

13 hours ago, xinoehp512 said:

Jared sank into a chair, breathing heavily, clutching his side. Something was definitely wrong. A normal wound would not have been this painful, nor would it have been as hard as this to stabilize.

Mordite blade, he thought grimly. Of course it would be. Well, at least it wouldn't kill him.

Jared jumped at the voice. He glared at Nekri and summoned his Silent Blade-

Pain shot through him, breaking his concentration and sending him into a gasping fit.

Slowly Jared's breath stabilized. His heart rate, however, was not so easily controlled. His ability with Silence was his ace in the hole, the thing that offered him protection from virtually any threat he could face. Without it, he was helpless.

Focus, Jared, he thought to himself, clenching the table in front of him. You aren't dead yet.

16 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

Nekri flinched back at the magic sword, then glared at Jared when the effects of his injury began to show. He hadn’t liked the way Jared had stared at him, sword in hand. And if that battle with the tornado lady was anything to go by, he wasn’t an amateur with it by any means.

Nekri stared at Jared, walking forward slowly, shifting his appearance to match some random street boy, his gaze softening. He may have not been an amateur with it before, but now it seemed like the man couldn’t even summon his blade.

“That lady really messed you up, eh?” he asked in a normal voice - not his own, though - and nodded to Jared’s wound.

“You, uh, got some kind of bounty on you or something? Not that I’d care, of course. I never kill people I’ve just met. It’s a rule.” It was a blatant, bald-faced lie. If Jared had a bounty on him high enough to attract hard-hitters like that woman, well... Nekri needed money. He tilted his head, continuing to shift his features in a chaotic tumble.

@xinoehp512

The blade didn't actually appear- his summoning of it was interrupted. Some lightning may have appeared, though.

Jared blinked, "No," he said instinctively. "I have no idea why..."

He trailed off. He didn't know this man. Why was he answering his questions?

Edited by xinoehp512

1 minute ago, Shard of Thought said:

Rose rolled her eyes. "I was unconscious, Jahora, what did you expect me to do? We don't have the file, so you're just going to have to tell us what you know, no matter how much you don't like it." She folded her arms. The way he reacted to their bounty was odd, anyone could see that much. Whatever relationship they'd had, it was certainly messy.

"Yeah, I know it's not your fault. But I've honestly pretty much told you everything about Selene that's useful to the cause. She wouldn't of left the city, that's pretty much impossible for her. And I doubt that she went back to her parents because they aren't particularly nice. She might of gone back to the house we lived in together initially, but I doubt she's still there because I saw it on the market last year." He paused for a moment to consider his options "I suppose that the house is a good place to start. maybe the new owners know something about where Selene went. It's in the lower class area of the city, so not too far away from the slums."                 

29 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

Jared blinked, "No," he said instinctively. "I have no idea why..."

He trailed off. He didn't know this man. Why was he answering his questions?

Despite the stab wound, Jared seemed to be getting better. Nekri sighed at his denial of a bounty, fixing his appearance to look like the stablehand he’d been disguised as when Jared had first seen.

“Usually I’d say you’re lucky a woman is chasing you.” He grinned, then looked out of the window the assassin had left through. “In this case, though... I’d pass.”

He paused for a moment, pondering. “Who knows why she’s after you. Maybe it’s something to do with your weird voice. No offence.”

5 hours ago, Shard of Thought said:

The house you lived in together? Jezrien, this is just simple revenge for him. How petty is this man? Outwardly, she shrugged. "Let's do it."

"wait, we're leaving now? Surely we should get some sleep, and wait until morning before we disturb the good residents of the house," or really anything to delay the bounty hunt. He stood up and walk to the door, as if to provide a physical barrier to stop the others from leaving the room. His heart was pounding in his chest as he looked between they people he'd gathered to kill Selene "Sorry if I'm being weird. This hunt is kind of a big thing for me."  

"I wasn't implying we should leave now," Rose said flatly. "You assumed that all on your own." She got up, glad that - for once - she was the one who had power in a social situation, and walked up to Jahora. "If you have something you'd like to share with the group, I suggest you do it. Because if and when it comes down to the kill and you hesitate like this? It won't be a mistake you can take back."

"That's why I hired you, because I'll hesitate when it comes to the kill. Your the one that's going to kill her. Look, you should know that Selene and I used to in a relationship, things didn't turn out well, that's why I'm acting up. And no, this isn't just petty revenge," he voice rose and projected across the room. "she did something that really hurt me here" he said raising a closed fist to his heart. "But I don't want to talk about it." 

He turned and walked back into the shop that was still bustling with workers despite the late hour. "I'm going to get some sleep, I really need some time alone to think. You should try to get more rest in too Rose, it's been a long night." Instead of going upstairs into his room, he sat down at one of the free tables and started cutting fabric. He felt his heart rate slow and his muscles relaxed as the familiar motion took over his body. This was how he calmed down after a long day and processed his thoughts and emotions. Some workers came up and gave him a comforting pat on the back, he smiled back at them appreciating the gesture. 

On 1/21/2021 at 11:24 PM, I think I am here. said:

Despite the stab wound, Jared seemed to be getting better. Nekri sighed at his denial of a bounty, fixing his appearance to look like the stablehand he’d been disguised as when Jared had first seen.

“Usually I’d say you’re lucky a woman is chasing you.” He grinned, then looked out of the window the assassin had left through. “In this case, though... I’d pass.”

He paused for a moment, pondering. “Who knows why she’s after you. Maybe it’s something to do with your weird voice. No offence.”

Jared sized up Nekri. Which was surprisingly difficult, given that he kept changing his appearance. It made him uneasy... but then again, Nekri had acted against Cynthia, so it would seem unlikely that the two were allies. And he'd need help from someone if he was going to get home without using Silence. Speaking of which...

"I would be inclined to think not," he rebutted carefully, "given that she took no notice of you."

Rose raised an eyebrow, regarding him strangely. This man had secrets. And though those secrets interested her, she wouldn't lose sleep over not knowing. He wanted to kill that woman? Fine. That was fine with her. Why should it matter why he wanted to do so? She was only in it for the money, after all. After a few weeks she would be after another bounty and never think of Jahora again. Whatever his reasons were for wanting Selene dead, however convoluted, they were his own. Human relationships were baffling enough. 

"Well," Rose said tightly. "Goodnight, then." With that, she turned and walked silently up the stairs, picking the room at the end of the hall and closing the door behind her and sitting on the bed.

There was silence.

And then, a sharp memory. Sitting in her room at her aunt and uncle's house. Spooning soup into her mouth while she read, the rest of the family eating together at the table. But not Rose. She stayed in her room. Alone. Always. Rose rubbed her temples as the memory faded, feeling a headache coming on. She really should get to sleep, before that headache got any worse. But before she did so, there was something she'd like to try. Back in the tavern, she'd made the stool rattle. That kind of thing very rarely happened in her old life. On the occasions that it did, she'd been brainwashed into believing it wasn't possible for such things to happen. But then the asylum. Meeting Star... She had to know if this was real, once and for all. Could her mind really move and destroy objects? Or was it all a trick?

Her eyes fell upon a notebook on the desk. That would do just fine. First, she closed her eyes and took a deep breath. Here goes nothing... Opening her eyes again, she reached her hand out and focused on the notebook, thinking about making it move. Float, she thought. C'mon, float, I've done this before. She glared at it. But the notebook didn't move at all. 

Your magic is a part of you. If you use it right, it can be an extension of who you are. It's not the outside that needs to move. It's what's in your head. Star's words.

Rose let her face soften, her eyes falling shut once again. She relaxed, picturing the notebook in her mind, picturing it rising off the desk to hover, defying gravity effortlessly. Then, she opened her eyes. 

The notebook levitated in the air a few inches off the desk. 

Her jaw dropped in shock and the notebook wavered. Curious, she flicked her hand to see if it would follow, but it did not. When she pictured it flying about the room, however, it zipped through the air. For a moment, she felt euphoria. For once, her power was working with her, not against her. It was blissful. 

But then, a a sharp pain exploded in her forehead. She cried out softly, putting her hand to her head, the notebook dropping to the floor. One moment. Couldn't I have had just one long moment of something actually going right? She scoffed at the injustice. By now, she'd had enough migraines to know that when one hit, she had to shut down and rest, otherwise she could get very ill. It was time to sleep anyway. Maybe the migraine was a good thing, snapping the whip to encourage her to give her body the restorative sleep it deserved. Hastily - her mind clouded by pain and by questions - she undressed and slipped into bed, falling asleep in an instant.

On 23/01/2021 at 0:56 PM, xinoehp512 said:

Jared sized up Nekri. Which was surprisingly difficult, given that he kept changing his appearance. It made him uneasy... but then again, Nekri had acted against Cynthia, so it would seem unlikely that the two were allies. And he'd need help from someone if he was going to get home without using Silence. Speaking of which...

"I would be inclined to think not," he rebutted carefully, "given that she took no notice of you."

“Ah,” Nekri said, mincing Jared’s normal voice and holding up a finger. “But maybe she doesn’t know about me. You, however, she seemed to recognise you plenty. No one could recognise me even if they wanted to. The illusions help with that.”

This Jared was a real bottle of mysteries for sure. Weird voice, weird sword, weird (and powerful!) people chasing after him. Nahri wondered whether all this weirdness would equal more money. He grinned at Jared.

“And speaking of my illusions, they might help stop you from being recognised any time soon... for a price, of course.”

Well, that explains his motivations, thought Jared. But something still didn't add up. Who was this man, and why could he use Silence? And, perhaps more importantly, why had he revealed that fact to Jared? 

"I don't have much on me," he said, carefully probing for a reaction. "But if you were to take me home..."

If Nekri was a mime, he would understand.

59 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

If Nekri was a mime, he would understand.

Nekri tilted his head to the side, observing Jared curiously. He had begun to get worried that the man had no real money of his own to pay Nekri with, but he’d mentioned ‘home’ ... perhaps he had some savings.

“I can take you home, alright,” Nekri said. “Wherever that is. But if we happen to go there and it turns out you don’t have any money...”

Nekri narrowed his eyes at the man.

“... then you won’t just have that woman hunting you down.”

Jared blinked. So Nekri wasn't a mime. That meant... honestly, he had no idea. Maybe he was a rogue user...? but no, that made no sense, why would he have revealed himself to Jared if that was the case? Well, unless...

"Tell me," asked Jared abruptly, "what do you know of Silence?"

7 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

“Tell me," asked Jared abruptly, "what do you know of Silence?"

Nekri paused, then scowled at Jared. He shifted his illusions subtly to make his frown run down more of his face than was humanly possible.

“What, is this some way of telling me I talk too much? Is that it?”