Is the Set correct?

Oltux72

8 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

That is exactly the point. With some of the arcane arts the knowledge is the weapon.

Containing information is almost impossible.  All it takes is one mistake.

I also notice that - this is difficult without becoming too political - most nations who decided otherwise, unless big or well connected - got into trouble.

Exactly.  The treaty enforcement was largely successful.  You can only get around it with a lot of effort and huge consequences.

Well, in case of scientist what we got is a system that requires cooperation and equipment. Even if you theoretically know how to make nerve gas, doing so with improper equipment will kill you. To an extent we have a situation where supervision prevents that. There are technologies where this is not possible. Hence we will always have teenagers developing malware and hacking systems.

In this case a much better solution might be making all the shards swear to limit the amount of free investiture.

7 hours ago, trav said:

this is still outside the norm. Compounding does not change that.
you store Connection. the Connection you already posses. Compounding this should give you back the Connection you already had 10 fold (paraphrasing).

its should not give you additional Connection that you did not originally have. Bondsmiths can form and alter that at will. not just for themselves, but for others and things aswell.
huge difference.

Compounding: could create a strong bond to ones own family. weakens again once the Compounding stops.
Bondsmith: could create a bond to a random family. possibly a persistent one.

I suppose Brandon will do w/e he wishes with the spiritual attributes in the end though. even if it makes little sense so far.

I think you’re placing restrictions on it that don’t exist. We know that a Connector could break into hemalurgic creations and control them like emotional allomancers do, for example.

Dopetruffles

And finally, whether a duralumin compounder could break into a kandra?

Brandon Sanderson

Um... yes, possible, yeah.

WorldCon 76 (Aug. 18, 2018)

12 hours ago, MyrmidonOfAchilles said:

I think you’re placing restrictions on it that don’t exist. We know that a Connector could break into hemalurgic creations and control them like emotional allomancers do, for example.

that is still a connection from the Connector to another being. something that can be formed by merely looking at each other. then further amplified by Compounding.
a Bondsmith can (should, by what we know) give someone else control over kandra or take control from someone away. not just himself.

47 minutes ago, trav said:

that is still a connection from the Connector to another being. something that can be formed by merely looking at each other. then further amplified by Compounding.
a Bondsmith can (should, by what we know) give someone else control over kandra or take control from someone away. not just himself.

Yes, but the conclusion that a Connector cannot do more is based on a lack of examples. Compounding Connectors have studied their powers for a few decades. Bondsmiths have studied their powers for millenia.

3 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

Yes, but the conclusion that a Connector cannot do more is based on a lack of examples.

its based on what rules we know of. currently.
Brandon can do w/e if he feels like it down the road, obviously. I just don't see that happening.

compare it to other Compounding. a gold Compounder can't heal others, only itself. why would a Duralumin Compounder be able to affect the Connection of others?
so far, this would make not much sense.

21 minutes ago, trav said:

Brandon can do w/e if he feels like it down the road, obviously. I just don't see that happening.

compare it to other Compounding. a gold Compounder can't heal others, only itself. why would a Duralumin Compounder be able to affect the Connection of others?

There is that. The problem is that "self" is a surprisingly ill defined concept. Of course there are clear concepts in things like copper or aluminium. But take for example Brass. If you touch the Feruchemist you will be warmer. In the case of Connection it is by definition not limited to an individual.

If you use it on the most physical level, then OK, you can define whom you glue to whom. Still even there, when Kaladin uses Adhesion on two people touching him, will the y stick to eack other when they touch? If you use it to take a language then what do you take? The medaillon connects you to a nation, but the idea what a nation is and where it is must already come from a third party. For example, do you acquire the local dialect of the area where you switch it on?

If you were to don a medaillon on Java would you learn Javanese, Bahasa Indonesia or both? If you don it in Serbian Voivodina in a Hungarian minority village, do you get Hungarian, Serbian or both?

48 minutes ago, trav said:

If you tap a lot of Connection to actively Connect, something that seems to inherently attract from what we've seen of it (its links to the Surge of Adhesion and Cohesion, its vague correlation to Gravity), I don't think it's absurd at all to suggest that it would inherently draw others' self/Connection to you and force a Connection between you and anything you touch or target. 

Presumably, a Connector can make Connections between two different entities with themselves and then, since the entities are Connected to them, Connect them to each other. The strength, number, and permanence of which dependent on stored Connection and, probably, savanthood.

What worries me is the potential of a Connector compounder interacting with a Bondsmith. I'd imagine they could potentially do what Ishar attempted with Salinas by building a Connection to their powers and using the Bondsmith powers to make it permanent.

6 hours ago, IndigoAjah said:

If you tap a lot of Connection to actively Connect, something that seems to inherently attract from what we've seen of it (its links to the Surge of Adhesion and Cohesion, its vague correlation to Gravity), I don't think it's absurd at all to suggest that it would inherently draw others' self/Connection to you and force a Connection between you and anything you touch or target. 

this is fine and dandy. I could see that. 

still far from what Bondsmiths already did or were about to do. 

its also not a deliberate or controlled process. not the way you suggest it. 

55 minutes ago, trav said:

this is fine and dandy. I could see that. 

still far from what Bondsmiths already did or were about to do. 

its also not a deliberate or controlled process. not the way you suggest it. 

True, but Copperminds seem to have a lot of control in the exercise of their Feruchemy, etc. It depends on how Connection can be manipulated