Where was Zahel?

Raven Wilder

We know Zahel was at Urithiru early in the book, and Kaladin at least is aware that he has certain special abilities that don't seem tied to being a Radiant. Given that the singer occupation hinged on a device that knocked out Radiant powers, and only Radiant powers, Zahel's foreign magic system could have been a useful wild card.

Sure, it's possible that he tagged along with the campaign that went to Emul, but a mention that he was no longer at the tower would have been nice.

It also now occurs to me that, since his Heightenings give him both perfect pitch and perfect color recognition, he probably could have solved the whole Light/Rhythm problem in a matter of minutes (and, who knows, maybe he already did, and that's where Gavilar's anti-Voidlight gem came from).

Zahel hates fighting.  He doesn't say it inn so many words of course, but it is true. When Kaladin considered joining the sword master ardents of which Zahel is one, he told Kaladin to come back when he hates the fight.  Even if Zahel was in the tower I doubt he'd lift a finger to help.  That's not his thing anymore after hundreds of years of life.  Plus if he did reveal himself he'd out himself at risk of being captured and who knows what someone like Raboniel would do to him.  It was etter he laid low.

26 minutes ago, Raven Wilder said:

"why doesn't Kaladin try to get him to help with the fight?"

Probably just because Kal doesn’t know that Zahel is a Magic Immortal God Warrior Alien. He doesn’t go to Zahel for the same reason he doesn’t go to any of the officers or soldiers. In his mind, Zahel is just a retired sword fighting instructor, not very useful in a situation like that.  

Edited by Ookla the Disproportionate
600th post woohooo!

11 hours ago, Raven Wilder said:

Yeah, he would almost certainly choose not to get involved. My question's not so much "why doesn't he help with the fight?" as "why doesn't Kaladin try to get him to help with the fight?"

I mean, did he really have time to go looking for him?  The tower was put on lock down pretty quick, and once Kaladin made his move he was on the run the whole time.