Matching the missing Shards (The Rithmatist and Dark One spoilers)

KandraAllomancer

We have four confirmed new Shards: Invention, Mercy, Whimsy and Valor. Wisdom (or something similar) seems to be confirmed as well:

Paleo (paraphrased)

Is Wisdom a Shard? If so, how bad does it want to survive?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

There is a Shard with a similar intent. The Shard has realized that survival might not be the most desirable/important.

Footnote: Paleo later asked Brandon for clarification on this one because he couldn't quite remember the survival part when he wrote it down. Brandon stressed again what the Shard has realized.
Stuttgart signing (May 17, 2019)

which leaves us with just one, 16th unknown Shard.

We also have some information about previously unknown Shards:

Pagerunner

Four clues you've given over the years about unknown Shards: 1) One that wants to hide and survive. 2) One that's not on a planet, but not Ambition 3) One that Hoid would have taken 4) One that would have been used for Rithmatist

I'm not looking for a new clue. I'm wondering if there's any overlap between the clues. Are these four separate Shards? If not, which hints apply to the same Shard?

Also, since clue #3 was from before Ambition was revealed, was Hoid going to take Ambition? He certainly is an ambitious individual.

Brandon Sanderson

I'll tell you this--those aren't necessarily four different shards. But I do have to RAFO which one Hoid might have taken.

Skyward Pre-Release AMA (Oct. 27, 2018)

I would also add:

5. The one that would be used for Dark One, if it was part of Cosmere

6. The "Anguish Shard"

7. Odium's ally that isn't Autonomy

8. The Shard that will be used for Aether magic, as it will be probably changed not to be pre-Shattering

Here are my propositions:

1. Wisdom, probably, although they don't want to hide anymore. Seems like a good Shard to be associated with Silverlight, if there is a Shard there (currently RAFO)

2. Probably Mercy, although Wisdom would count in the past

3. Whimsy, maybe? I'd like to hear your opinions on this one

4. The Initiation that seems both random and affected by mechanical devices makes me think Invention and Whimsy. Both also work quite well for magic that combines exact geometric blueprints with chalkling unicorns :) We'll get more information in Book 2

5. The original idea was based on works of Tesla, which heavily implies Invention. If the Narrative existed in that version, it could have been of Whimsy, making it the same potential combination as the Rithmatist

6 & 7 My guess would be Mercy

8. Could be any Shard(s), really, so I'll go with Valor and the 16th unknown Shard

Edited by KandraAllomancer

Valor for the Dark One. The whole concept is about an eternal, narrative driven war centered on two heroes.

Invention for the Rithmatist.

Mercy for Anguish and Odium’s ally.

Whimsy is probably Kite Magic.

Prudence/Wisdom just wants to hide and survive (or used to).

Judgement/Knowledge/Industry would probably be the Silverlight Shard.

Which leaves Mercy for the Aethers, unless Prudence/Wisdom has Invested on a world.

On 23.11.2020 at 9:17 AM, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Whimsy is probably Kite Magic.

Kite magic is from a minor Shardworld:

Spoiler

Glamdring804

Yeah, it’s dangerous to leave him unsupervised for extended periods of time, as a random novella might suddenly appear.

Brandon Sanderson

The latest one is a story I really want to write about one of Hoid's apprentices, set in the future of the cosmere (between era 3 and 4) stranded on a minor shardword and trying to figure out their kite-based magic system...

(No time right now, though. Stay on target...)

yahasgaruna

That sounds very much like the first story you wrote about Hoid, doesn't it? About him landing on a new planet and trying to figure out the local magic system?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, it would be the spiritual successor of that story. I don't think it would work any more for him, the way he has developed, but I think it could play out very well with one of his many apprentices across the worlds. (Particularly if he's a little more organized about this in the space-age era.)

Someday, I really need to send my old discs from the early 90s out for data recovery, to see if anything is on them. It would be a hoot to read these old stories and really see how much of the Cosmere existed in embryo back when I was a teenager.

General Reddit 2019 (Jan. 2, 2019)

It would work perfectly with Whimsy though