[Part 2 Spoilers] The New Intents

Kered

This isn't really going to be a discussion thread more of a informative thread but feel free to discuss, though I believe most of the discussion is taking part in the Part Discussions. 

Was getting ready to start doing some edits on the new Shard pages so I created an info sheet with all the possible definitions of the new Intents as well as a few abstract interpretations. Here is what I used and what I will be adding to in order to reference:

Invention 

Definitions: The action of inventing something, typically a process or device. Creative ability. something. Typically a process or device, that has been invented.

Noun. 

Synonyms: Inventiveness, originations, creation, design, contraption, innovation, creativity, imagination, originality 

Mercy

Definitions: Compassion or forgiveness shown toward someone whom it is within one's power to punish or harm. Used in expressions of surprise or fear.

Noun. 

Synonyms: Leniency, clemency, compassion, grace, pity. 

Whimsy 

Definition: Playfully quaint or fanciful behavior or humor. A whim. A thing that is fanciful or odd.

Noun. 

Synonyms: Flightiness, arbitrariness, capriciousness, irresponsibility.

Valor

Definition: great courage in the face of danger, especially in battle.

Noun. 

Synonyms: Bravery, courage, fearlessness. 

Initial Thoughts

• Valor could likely be the cosmere's version of "The God of War".
  • Valor and Honor would be a good combo shard. Makes me think that if Honor and Cultivation weren't a couple maybe Honor and Valor would have settled together. 
  • The most potential for an "evil" intent is Invention. The one likely to the most damage/cause the most cause is Whimsy. 
  • I wonder if Mercy was helping Odium or Ambition in the fight. From WoB's, could clearly be that Mercy helped Odium. Maybe Mercy saw what Odium was doing as a mercy then after helping actually splinter a shard, Mercy got scared of the scope and implications and bailed. 
  • I expect Invention to play a large role in Era 4. 
  • Valor, from the letter, can be sort of implied to have a decent relationship with Hoid. More so than the other shards at the very least. 
  • Whimsy and Odium combination is absolutely terrifying. Any combo has the potential to be dangerous but I think Odium, particulary the Passion aspect, takes the cake.   
  • Trell most likely seems to now be Autonomy. Though, it could be just as likely it's a shard we don't know. 
  • With these epigraphs we now have only 2 unknown shards. And only one relevant hint remains, the WoB about wisdom and a possible property an unknown shard has. The "surviving shard" also refers to this "survival" shard. 
  • Cultivation and Invention would be a cool combo. Invention and Endowment as well. 
  • Whimsy and Autonomy would also would be crazy. 
  • Mercy and Autonomy would also be cool, might temper the Autonomy intent into something interesting. 

Edited by Kered

20 minutes ago, Kered said:
  • The most potential for an "evil" intent is Invention. The one likely to the most damage/cause the most cause is Whimsy. 

Invention would have loved Wernher von Braun. Not evil, amoral in the truest sense of the word.

• I wonder if Mercy was helping Odium or Ambition in the fight. From WoB's, could clearly be that Mercy helped Odium. Maybe Mercy saw what Odium was doing as a mercy then after helping actually splinter a shard, Mercy got scared of the scope and implications and bailed. 

Mercy is a passion. I am afraid I need to point out that Mercy is a natural enemy of Honor and Cultivation. Honor implies fairness and carrying out threats. I need to point out an important qualifier in Venli's second oath.
Cultivation is nice if you grow and procreate. However, if you do not, well - she is not Mercy. Cultivation has a Darwinian aspect to her. Jasnah's attitude and a closer association of her order to Cultivation are not accidental.

Edited by Oltux72
typo

21 minutes ago, Kered said:

This isn't really going to be a discussion thread more of a informative thread but feel free to discuss, though I believe most of the discussion is taking part in the Part Discussions. 

Was getting ready to start doing some edits on the new Shard pages so I created an info sheet with all the possible definitions of the new Intents as well as a few abstract interpretations. Here is what I used and what I will be adding to in order to reference:

Invention 

Definitions: The action of inventing something, typically a process or device. Creative ability. something. Typically a process or device, that has been invented.

Noun. 

Synonyms: Inventiveness, originations, creation, design, contraption, innovation, creativity, imagination, originality 

Mercy

Definitions: Compassion or forgiveness shown toward someone whom it is within one's power to punish or harm. Used in expressions of surprise or fear.

Noun. 

Synonyms: Leniency, clemency, compassion, grace, pity. 

Whimsy 

Definition: Playfully quaint or fanciful behavior or humor. A whim. A thing that is fanciful or odd.

Noun. 

Synonyms: Flightiness, arbitrariness, capriciousness, irresponsibility.

Valor

Definition: great courage in the face of danger, especially in battle.

Noun. 

Synonyms: Bravery, courage, fearlessness. 

Initial Thoughts

• Valor could likely be the cosmere's version of "The God of War".
  • Valor and Honor would be a good convo shard. Makes me think that if Honor and Cultivation weren't a couple maybe Honor and Valor would have settled together. 
  • I expect Invention to play a large role in Era 4. 
  • Valor, from the letter, can be sort of implied to have a decent relationship with Hoid. More so than the other shards at the very least. 
  • Whimsy and Odium combination would be an absolute is absolutely terrifying. Any combo has the potential to be dangerous but I think Odium, particulary the Passion aspect, takes the cake.   
  • Trell most likely seems to now be Autonomy. Though, it could be just as likely it's a shard we don't know. 
  • With these epigraphs we now have only 2 unknown shards. And only one relevant hint remains, the WoB about wisdom and a possible property an unknown shard has. The "surviving shard" also refers to this "survival" shard. 
  • Cultivation and Invention would be a cool combo. Invention and Endowment as well. 
  • Whimsy and Autonomy would also would be crazy. 
  • Mercy and Autonomy would also be cool, might temper the Autonomy intent into something interesting. 

Long Shot Theories

• Curiosity. 
  • Wisdom. 
  • Independence. 
  • Joy.
  • Madness. 
  • Patience. 
  • Compromise. 
  • Fear. 
  • Wrath/Retribution.  
  • Destiny/Fate.
  • Chaos. 

Whimsy may be Curiosity and probably covers Madness.

Independence and Autonomy are synonyms. 

Odium seems to include Wrath.

Ruin is entropy, which covers Chaos.