Setting Up Roshar for a Modern Era

Knight of Iron

I've noticed a small trend in just these first chapters of Rhythm of War that seem to, in my opinion, start setting up Roshar for a modern era quite rapidly. For this post I have gathered 3 instances, though I'm sure someone has found more.

Abolishing Slavery

“I forbid this,” Dalinar said. “You can’t simply free every Alethi slave. It would cause mass chaos.”

“I wasn’t aware,” Jasnah said, “that you could forbid the queen from taking action.”

Obviously one of the most noticeable ones, but yes, abolishing slavery would bring Roshar into a more modern-era, or one closer to the world we have. You can't completely stamp out all prejudice and discrimination but this is a step forward.

Politically Correct (or whatever you want to call it, see ensuing discussion)

“We don’t use the term ‘Voidbringers’ anymore,” Dalinar said. “It has proven to be… imprecise. We call our enemies the singers.

I can't think of any other time right now that a more 'politically correct' term is being used over a more common and kinda misleading term. I thought this was an interesting detail to put in and it reminds me a lot of these present times. Even when the majority come to political correctness and call the singers, "singers", there will always be the stubborn ones that, to them, the singers will forever be Voidbringers because they are.

Vaccines

"They say they’ve found a way to infect people with a weak, easily overcome version of a disease—which leaves them immune for life to more harsh variants.”

And vaccines are becoming a thing. After more research is done, people will be skeptical at first, but then everyone will get vaccinated and will eliminate all diseases and the population of Roshar will increase dramatically as the average lifespan skyrockets. At least, that's how I think it would play out, let me know if you think it'll play out any other way.

So what do you think? Do you see the rise of other ideas and things as well? I was a little surprised at how rapid it seemed, but they could be entering a new Enlightenment age or something similar, if you know what I mean. What else will we see next, or what would you like to see?

The discussion is now yours.

Edited by Knight of Iron

1 hour ago, Awakened Cremling said:

Although I agree with the general concept. I don't necessarily agree that stopping the use of the term Voidbringers is necessarily about political correctness as much as seeking clarity. With the knowledge that humans were the original "Voidbringers" it just makes the use of the term confusing.

I do agree with your point here, but in my opinion, since saying Native American is considered politically correct over Indian (though they never had anything to do with India), likewise is singers “politically correct” (or just correct, if you want) over Voidbringers, though they have been known to humankind for nearly 5,000 years as Voidbringers.

So as I know people nowadays who still use the term Indians all the time, because “that’s what they’re called,” I see people on Roshar doing similarly.

Just now, Knight of Iron said:

I do agree with your point here, but in my opinion, since saying Native American is considered politically correct over Indian (though they never had anything to do with India), likewise is singers “politically correct” (or just correct, if you want) over Voidbringers, though they have been known to humankind for nearly 5,000 years as Voidbringers.

So as I know people nowadays who still use the term Indians all the time, because “that’s what they’re called,” I see people on Roshar doing similarly.

Agreed. The common Rosharans aren't going to stop using the term overnight.

1 hour ago, Awakened Cremling said:

Although I agree with the general concept. I don't necessarily agree that stopping the use of the term Voidbringers is necessarily about political correctness as much as seeking clarity. With the knowledge that humans were the original "Voidbringers" it just makes the use of the term confusing.

This is tough. "Voidbringer" refers to a tool of Odium. Humans were the original Voidbringers. The Fused and other current followers of Odium are the current Voidbringers. The parshmen awakened by the Everstorm are not, and comprise the largest part of Odium's armies. By referring to the parshmen as Singers instead of Voidbringers, you prop open the door allowing the awakened parshmen to be accepted into the forces against Odium. Calling them Voidbringers keeps that door closed

This will be the basis of the war going forward. Venli's story in Rhythm of War will be her crusade to pull the awakened parshmen (Singers) from Odium's grip. Dalinar will, hopefully, see this and help her. Kaladin will be integral (I believe having to choose between helping singers or helping his family (and hurting the same singers) will be part of his 4th Ideal struggle) in this. The fight against Odium will depend on which side the majority of awakened parshmen go to

12 hours ago, Knight of Iron said:

saying Native American is considered politically correct over Indian

This is perhaps a better example than you might realize.  The reason Native American is preferred is not political correctness, Indian isn't a slur, the problem is that it is imprecise.  If the country of India didn't exist it wouldn't be a problem, but using India to refer to Indians and Indians causes problems, hence the use of an alternative for one of them.

As a side note some natives don't like Native American and prefer American Indian (or just Indian). Of course there are also those who don't like Indian.

7 hours ago, Bremen said:

This is perhaps a better example than you might realize.  The reason Native American is preferred is not political correctness, Indian isn't a slur, the problem is that it is imprecise.  If the country of India didn't exist it wouldn't be a problem, but using India to refer to Indians and Indians causes problems, hence the use of an alternative for one of them.

As a side note some natives don't like Native American and prefer American Indian (or just Indian). Of course there are also those who don't like Indian.

I understood it as and the internet seems to understand the use of "native" as a form of political correctness. I do agree it is more precise than Indian, and that is sort of what I meant by political correctness, at least in this scenario.

I see now that political correctness is using certain terms over others to avoid offense or disadvantage, and that doesn't fit best into this example, but I thought it was a general understanding that it was 'politically correct.'

On 5.11.2020 at 3:51 PM, Awakened Cremling said:

Yet this is dangerous. It shows a species to be the enemy, not the adherents of a Shard. And Jasnah should know better by now. She is still considering the option of a genocidal solution.