Why Marsh?

Quiver

So, something I'm sure was answered in the books/WoB, but I can't remember, so I thought I'd drop it out to the forum:

Why did Ruin invest so much effort in spiking up Marsh?

I can understand having him lead Sazed- familiar face and all that- but in Hero of Ages, why did he become Ruins main Inquisitor? Did Ruin just have a twisted sense of humour in using Kelsiers brother against them?

If i can remember it was through the spikes like even spook and vin were affected by Ruins control (Vins Earing) but Steel inquisitors i imagine were spiked several times with those huge spikes. I think he could just easily take hold of Marsh despite him being so powerful :)

I had always assumed that it was because he was because he had been involved with those people who had been aligned with Preservation (Kelsier, Vin, etc).  There was still some trust there that could be exploited.  At least, that's how I remember it (been a long time since I've read the trilogy)

I don't think Marsh was the Main Inquisitor. They all had the Same number of Spikes, and jobs, they were just in different Areas. When Ruin escaped, there were only about 10 Inquisiotrs, including Marsh, spread across ten Dominances. They all gathered to Kill the Synod, except Marsh, so he was the Only INQuisitor in the Area. Also, Ruin is Sadistic. Using a Formor Champ of Preservation?

I had always assumed that it was because he was because he had been involved with those people who had been aligned with Preservation (Kelsier, Vin, etc).  There was still some trust there that could be exploited.  At least, that's how I remember it (been a long time since I've read the trilogy)

I like this idea. Ruin would have known he needs to manipulate Vin in particular, so it is advantageous to pick Marsh for this purpose above some other random Inquisitor. It didn't really matter who the Inquisitor was, because Ruin could have made any of them into what he needed, but Marsh made sense to push Vin's buttons.

Another consideration could be that since Marsh was the newest Inquisitor the Lord Ruler had made, Ruin wanted to pick someone who wasn't as heavily indoctrinated in the Ministry. Or, it could simply be that with Marsh killing most of the Luthadel Inquisitors, the other Inquisitors who were still alive were in the Outer Dominances, so if Ruin wanted machinations in Luthadel, he was the closest.

EDIT:

I don't think Marsh was the Main Inquisitor. They all had the Same number of Spikes, and jobs, they were just in different Areas. When Ruin escaped, there were only about 10 Inquisiotrs, including Marsh, spread across ten Dominances. They all gathered to Kill the Synod, except Marsh, so he was the Only INQuisitor in the Area. Also, Ruin is Sadistic. Using a Formor Champ of Preservation?

Actually, Marsh had upwards of twenty spikes near the end. The amount of spikes in Inquisitors varied from nine to eleven during the Final Empire, and Ruin added more spikes to them. Marsh got the most.

I'm not sure where you got the ten Inquisitor figure. The math has been done before and there were more of them post Well of Ascension. (There were around, I want to say 36 during the time of the Collapse)

Edited by Chaos

Marsh said in WoA that there were 20 Inquisitors, and ten were in Luthadel. He killed 8, and Kelsier killed one. That leaves ten others, and him. As for the Spikes, didn't they all get extra spikes? in one of the Epigraphs, Sazed mentions how Extraordinary Marsh was for holding on to his self with so many, when the Other Inquisitors didn't with their spikes.

Ruin had multiple reasons for "spiking up Marsh" into his Champion.

One logical reason Marsh got the most spikes because he was one of the few remaining Lord Ruler inquisitors created from seekers.  I imagine most of the inquisitors encountered my Vin and Elend post-Ruin's release were crafted from all the Mistborn he could track down as per Chapter 72 HoA Epigraph.  I would assume all elderly or crippled/retired Mistborn met their end as fuel for duralumin/atium spikes.

A second reason is that Marsh was a very big man.  Even taller than Kelsier who is always described by Skaa as very tall.  Of course Ruin would choose an intimadating man as his Champion.

A third is, that yes, he did want to use Kelsier's brother.  He was already intimately familiar with Kelsier's crew.  Kelsier himself was trained by Gemmel who, if you have read "The Eleventh Metal" from The Steel Hunt/ Shard Hunt, is obviously an unbalanced individual allong the lines of Zane and Vin's mother.  Kelsier and Vin were his secret weapons all along, at least until he got bored and revealed himself to Vin in Yomen's shelter.  When he helped Vin kill Rashek it was in accordance to Ruins gambit.  He was already his Champion.

I had more to say but I gotta run. maybe I'll edit this later...

He is Ruin, does he need a reason?

And if he does, It could be that he wants a tall person as his champion so he is intimidating; but as this time, people would still be scared of inquisitors. But it may be a contributing factor. The Lord Ruler figured out that Bronze Mistings made good inquisitors because they can easily find other allomancers. I thought that this could be a reason for him choosing Marsh, but as seen when Vin becomes Preservation he can see when people are using Allomancy, therefore ruling that out.

Also I thought that it was because he was part of the crew in the revolution and so the rest of the crew would be hesitant to fight Marsh, however at the end of Well of Ascension Sazed fights Marsh and is content on killing him quite quickly and therefore ruling that out.

I think Marsh got more because Ruin knew Marsh would fight. Ruin needed more control. Also, making him the champion could RUIN relationships that he had with the good guys.

I think that this is probably part of the reason, because he was using Kelsier's brother he was taking precautions so that he could divert his attention and take control of him quickly. And it probably just happened that in taking control he gave him so many spikes. Ruin enjoys breaking things, and takes pride in dragging out the destruction. It also says that he builds things to destroy things more efficiently. So he may not only have wanted to build him up to kill everyone in the crew but also to destroy Marsh's mind in doing that. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Of all the Inquisitors, he was the one most likely to rebel, and Ruin needed a champion. Spiking him more than the others allowed him to kill two birds with one stone; Marsh got more powerful but also more susceptible to Ruin's control.

• Chaos locked this topic