Getting rid of Nightwatcher boons/banes

danex

Question

If you got a boon and a bane from the nightwatcher, (let’s say your boon was good luck for a year, and your bane was seeing upside-down for the rest of your life) and then you burned Aluminum, would that get rid of the boon/bane? Aluminum sorta ‘cleanses’ all investiture from the person’s soul/spiritweb right? Would it depend on the type of boon/bane?

What about compounding gold, gold healing tries to restore you to your spiritual ideal right? Would that remove them? 

Could either one of these remove a bane but keep a boon? If you perceived the good luck as apart of you, but still saw the upside-down vision as some outside handicap affecting you, and then compounded gold, what would happen? 

I’ve checked the arcanum and couldn’t find anything that mentioned aluminum and the Nightwatcher together. 

Edited by Danex

7 answers to this question

Aluminium, I suspect, wouldn't work. It cleanses Investiture from the body, but the Nightwatcher's modifications aren't just stick-ons, they're alterations made to your Spiritweb and aluminium won't rewrite your Spiritweb.

As for gold, it could work, theoretically, in some cases at least, with Cosmere healing being about perception. But my gut says it might not be enough by its own. Maybe with Compounding... 

Therapeutic Hemalurgy might be best bet

Although, there's just a wee little problem:

Questioner

Using Hemalurgy, could you steal the boon from the Old Magic?

Brandon Sanderson

Oh, from the Nightwatcher? This is theoretically possible.

Questioner

Would that take the [curse] with it as well?

Brandon Sanderson

*Hesitantly* Yes. Though it's also theoretically possible to split them apart, that would be a lot harder. Getting the boon, if you knew what you were doing, would not be that difficult.

Now, what Cultivation would do to you when she found out that had happened is another thing entirely. Because those are willful grants of Investiture.

Questioner

Similar to Endowment's with the Returned?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, things like that. When you get a Shard involved and the Shard has..  power to... Same thing like...it's on a much grander scale what's happening with the spren bond, right?

Questioner

When Hemalurgy does spread, most Shards will not be happy about this, right?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, that is correct.

Idaho Falls signing (July 21, 2018)

Edited by Honorless

It depends on the true realmic nature of the Boons/Curses, which we dont really know yet.  I doubt Aluminum would work because I think it's a permanent/instant change like Healing or Soulcasting, not something continuous like Forgery.  I doubt Spiritual Healing would work because I think it's a direct Spiritweb alteration more along the lines of Lerasium or the Nahel Bond that are not affected, rather a "Damage" to be corrected back to the previous Ideal.  If it were the latter, I think Lift's Boon could be in danger once she starts viewing it as Wrong, though I suppose it would at least partially depend on her own perception (and the external Healer, if ReGrowth is used).