Theory: Navani will become a Dustbringer

Dark_Sun77

I have not been monitoring the threads in Oathbringer, so I don't know if anyone else already proposed this theory, but I hope not.

I have been looking more into what order of Knights Radiance Navani would become if she bonded a spren.  She constantly says, "I will bring order from chaos" in Oathbringer, and she loves taking things apart.  These are both key indicators that Navani will become a Dustbringer. 

Thoughts? Countertheories?

On 10/10/2020 at 6:37 AM, Elanmorin said:

Navani likes to bind things together to create fabrials. 

Her being a Dustbringer would be interested if only for her spren wanting to take things apart while she wants to build.

I dont think likes to pull things appart, is a literal leave everything in pieces. People who like to understand how things work are often said to pull things apart, in this respect I could see Navanis curiosity into how things work to attract an ashspren

• 3 weeks later...

After reading everyone's comments, I could totally see Navani becoming a Bond Smith and at some point bonding with the Sibling.  That would totally make sense and it would be as if a new power was being added to the mix.  This theory is probably more probable than her becoming a dustbringer.  I don't think she will become a truth watcher.

So I had thought of this a while back, but there is unfortunately a WoB that may disprove this. Basically the WoB says as of Words of Radiance we have not gotten a PoV of a dustbringer to be. Near the end of Words of Radiance, we get Navani's PoV over thinking Dalinar and Adolin are dead. So if that is still valid, then unfortunately Navani cannot be a dustbringer. I still hope she will be, but that WoB does exist for full disclosure. 

Cemci

Have we-- I think you mentioned in a previous signing that we'd already met one member of every Order of the Knights Radiant.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, I think you have.

Cemci

My question is, have we met two Edgedancers? And is one of the Dustbringers a viewpoint character?

Brandon Sanderson

One of the Dustbringers is eventually a point-of-view character.

Cemci

Haven't been yet?

Brandon Sanderson

No, not yet, I don't think. But it depends if you count the Heralds as members of their order.

Cemci

I don't.

Brandon Sanderson

Oh, see I would, because they're kind of heads of their Order. If you don't count them you have not met some from every Order.

Cemci

Have we met someone from the Dustbringers?

Brandon Sanderson

Well-- Dustbringers are really complicated. Really complicated. So that's the weird one. Okay? So let's shelve that one. You'll see why it's really weird later on.

Shadows of Self London UK signing (Oct. 19, 2015) Edited by Pathfinder

3 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

Basically the WoB says as of Words of Radiance we have not gotten a PoV of a dustbringer to be

I don't think it necessarily says that, just seems more like the big Dustbringer PoV is gonna be weird *cough* Ash *cough* and he's tiptoeing around the topic of Dustbringer PoVs as a whole to avoid spoiling anything. (I don't think Navani will be a Dustbringer, though I could see it and honestly not sure which order she'll be, I just don't think that WoB disproves it.)

19 minutes ago, beewall said:

I don't think it necessarily says that, just seems more like the big Dustbringer PoV is gonna be weird *cough* Ash *cough* and he's tiptoeing around the topic of Dustbringer PoVs as a whole to avoid spoiling anything. (I don't think Navani will be a Dustbringer, though I could see it and honestly not sure which order she'll be, I just don't think that WoB disproves it.)

Brandon Sanderson

Cemci

Haven't been yet?

Brandon Sanderson

No, not yet, I don't think. But it depends if you count the Heralds as members of their order.

One of the dustbringers is eventually a point of view character. Hasn't been yet? No, not yet. This was after Words of Radiance was released. Seems pretty open and shut to me, but like I said, I do want Navani to be a dustbringer, so frankly I would love to be wrong. 

2 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

Brandon Sanderson

Cemci

Haven't been yet?

Brandon Sanderson

One of the dustbringers is eventually a point of view character. Hasn't been yet? No, not yet. This was after Words of Radiance was released. Seems pretty open and shut to me, but like I said, I do want Navani to be a dustbringer, so frankly I would love to be wrong. 

Oh my bad, I missed that part. Yeah, that's pretty clear.

4 hours ago, beewall said:

Oh my bad, I missed that part. Yeah, that's pretty clear.

4 hours ago, Pathfinder said:

Brandon Sanderson

Cemci

Haven't been yet?

Brandon Sanderson

Given Brandons penchant for abiguity in WoB he could be saying no povs from an active dustbring, which Navani is not yet (flimsy I know). However I too think she is the likely candidate for the sibling, although given how artifrabians spren fish, it may also be possible that spren are ignoring her like they do Adolin.

On 10/9/2020 at 11:44 AM, Dark_Sun77 said:

Thoughts? Countertheories?

I was partial to Navani as Truthwatcher, since she's constantly curious and trying to find the underlying reasons behind phenomena. The fundamental truths of the world. This is classic Truthwatcher, and so I think she should be attracting whatever-spren by now, given the epigraphs we've been given.

On 10/9/2020 at 1:37 PM, Elanmorin said:

Navani likes to bind things together to create fabrials. 

Not things, people. What is she constantly telling herself in here chapters? That she's not the real researcher, she just brings the right people together. What else does she need to unite next? She needs to heal the rift between human and spren, signified by bonding the sibling and persuading it to reinhabit Urithiru, thus Bondsmith.

These are basically the two theories pulling me in different directions. I don't want to see her as a Bonsmith, but there are reasons to think it could happen. Given what we've seen from Rlain (I want a spren who wants me), I partial to him, as he tries to unite humans and singers.

Truthwatcher is my hoped for order, which is entirely due to her ferocious curiosity. The stuff she's doing should be attracting the right kind of spren. Maybe the exact kind of stuff she's doing is repelling them.

Edited by Rainier